USS Constitution by Der Alte Rentner - Model Shipways - 1/76

Just about every surface of my model is covered with something, be it copper, paint, or stain. I have not used polyurethane (Wipe-On Poly)...yet. When I use paint, it's on bare wood so it soaks into the surface. I've used basswood, boxwood, and pear wood so far. The only wood I could have used the poly was the pear wood which was already the correct color I wanted. I didn't use it on the couple of wooden columns and bitts I made with it so far which are barely visible, but I may go back and touch them up with it.

And yes I too get cases of "analysis paralysis."

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Okay, I think I've solved the problem of tapering the Spar deck planks. Made a little fixture with a groove one quarter inch wide and 3/32" in deep. I put spacers in at different points to hold the planks more or less in place at the right depth at various points along the way.  I set the thickness sander to the thickness of the board with the slot side down. Flipped the fixture over, mounted the planks and ran the fixture through the sander.

Proof of concept photos follow.  My problem is, the boxwood material I got came in 15" lengths. What I need to do now is figure out a butt joint spacing plan, and how make it all work with these shorter planks.

Anyway, just sharing the concept at this point. More head scratching, stalling, analysis in store for me in the short run.

It's warming up in the shipyard, so I'm out of here.. 

Happy Independence Day tomorrow.

20240703_123709.thumb.jpg.9040c5c2ffbc5f8e3467643599a839c3.jpg

20240703_124533.thumb.jpg.634c9bda79747f071de470fc53f7c0c5.jpg

20240703_125300.thumb.jpg.4036c5ec76490ee065e06deceb288ed6.jpg

20240703_131654.thumb.jpg.2cc4a6dd1b131aee1aefe77242f3fff1.jpg

20240703_131752.thumb.jpg.d2974111c8c1b7a6709f3ed211217f1d.jpg

20240703_131940.thumb.jpg.5c84bf4577ca13117a4b569a4b9759d6.jpg

20240703_132002.thumb.jpg.f16f2100c41d66750e0c08174439f105.jpg

Edited by Der Alte Rentner

Nice solution, Peter.  Except now it would appear you are no longer playing with a full deck... <shrug> 🤣

Enjoy your Fourth celebration with friends and family, sir! 💥🌭🎉

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

I may be on the right track, but some modifications to that fixture are necessary. I learned that the quarter inch Groove isn't snug enough to firmly hold four planks in place, resulting in some movement under the drum sander.

I'll have to throw it back on my router table and widen that groove just enough so that five planks can ride side by side but very snugly in that space.

I may also have to fine-tune those little shims.

I did get my planking plan together so that I know where the butt joints should be. If I get ambitious and try to work with 3-in long plank segments, I'll have to put supports under a number of places between the bulkheads to accommodate the butt joints.

If not, I know where to scribe the marks on the planks as I work with long ones.

I better get home now before I suffer grief from the Mrs for missing too much Independence Day family time.

The butt joint plan.20240704_123239.thumb.jpg.472f459099b15acf3a5876bc9c3fe8dd.jpg

Problem with plank cutting fixture. (Look closely between the 15 and 16 inch marks on the scale).

20240704_123834.thumb.jpg.4a6f7a49db192844f8a855dda96dc6e6.jpg

I'm out of here now. Once again happy Independence Day.

Quick question for the Constitution guys who have researched this so well.

Looking at the plans you posted, are the deck planks that end in a point actual practice, now and in the past?

I had always been led to believe the points were to be avoided and were eliminated with nibbling(?).

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Wow, I didn't know I was the "go to guy" on research!

Looking at the plans you posted, are the deck planks that end in a point actual practice, now and in the past?

The only pointed planks I see are where the deck planks meet the waterway at the bow. These shown exactly the way look on the real ship. However, the hull planks, do NOT come to a point. Various methods are used to avoid that scenario, like using stealers and/or tapering. This is the way the ship is today. How it looked in the 1800s, I would not know. The earliest US Navy spar deck plan I have is from 1928, and there practically no difference from the kit's plans.

2 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Wow, I didn't know I was the "go to guy" on research!...

The only pointed planks I see are where the deck planks meet the waterway at the bow. These shown exactly the way look on the real ship. However, the hull planks, do NOT come to a point.

Ha! Just wait until I get to my own Constitution, Jon!! 🤣

Been thinking if there was a way to combine all of your build logs... Peter's, Jon's, Mustafa's... in one giant task-arranged PDF for my own procedure manual when I get to working on mine... <shrug> 

To the question at hand, makes sense that they could be laid that way on the deck, but definitely not for the hull planks.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

The only pointed planks I see are where the deck planks meet the waterway at the bow. These shown exactly the way look on the real ship.

That is what I was looking for.   

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

15 hours ago, GGibson said:

Been thinking if there was a way to combine all of your build logs... Peter's, Jon's, Mustafa's... in one giant task-arranged PDF for my own procedure manual when I get to working on mine... <shrug> 

Actually, there is.  I've been putting together word documents with details and photos from a number of build logs I consult for the step I'm currently working on.  It beats the heck out of trying to hunt this information down every time I forget who did what or how they did it.

e.g.

image.thumb.png.c7d9a03b1402a7d78c9d9cc728e19a20.png

image.thumb.png.56952c77ff9c489ea11ae9008e48e00c.png

image.png.51019115ced2b046112c5ac294324176.png

I do something similar. I've copied every Constitution log I've ever followed, some good, some not so good: 38 on going; 25 now completed; 26 dormant, logs never completed. This is how I've been able to locate information quickly from these builders. I can do word searches on their complete logs without having to go page by page on the websites. (BTW, I don't trust websites; they crash, disappear, and change location of their pages.) Should there be something interesting like an impressive jig or construction method I may want to use, I will copy and paste that portion of the log as a separate document and file it in the appropriate subject folder for easy reference. I also collect images of the real ship. A lot of the images you can't find directly with a search engine I gotten by looking for "A" and finding "B". They are all sorted into individual subject folders. I've got about 1,400 images; and the US Navy plans from various sources.  Yeah, so I guess I am the reference guy.

Jon

3 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Actually, there is.  I've been putting together word documents with details and photos from a number of build logs I consult...

39 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

I do something similar. I've copied every Constitution log I've ever followed, some good, some not so good...

Awesome!  OK, so the rule now is that neither of you can leave town without providing forwarding address... 👍🏆🤣

Gregg

Success!  

I widened the groove in the fixture to snugly hold 6 planks face to face.

I used  two sided tape to secure a 1/32" shim at one end of and another 1/64" shim at the center of the top of the fixture. The fixture was in turn flipped upside down and taped to a perfectly parallel backing board, and the whole shebang was run through my drum thickness sander until I removed 1/32" from bottom side of the fixture. I used some pencil marks to get me close, then checked to the dimensions with a verneer caliper. 

Next, I removed the fixture from the backing board and ran it, topside up, through the sander again until the fixture was perfectly parallel.  I squeezed 6 planks in beforehand to kill two birds with one stone.

The end result is a tapered channel in the fixture that is 1/16" deep at one end and 3/32" deep at the other.  

As long as I don't touch the settings on the drum sander, I can crank out tapered planks all day long. Of course, I'll stop when I have enough for the job.

I led off with the finished product because I forgot to take photos of the fixture before I added the shims.  The groove at the bottom of the fixture is the newly made tapered one. On top of the fixture are the 6 tapered planks. 

20240705_142015.thumb.jpg.c1af2d74ca4517ad3aa27d37d872aa5a.jpg

Earlier on: check width at both ends to make sure difference is 1/32".  (One hash mark is 1/64".)

20240705_131637.thumb.jpg.bcff98718918be65fc912679a92410cd.jpg

20240705_140010.thumb.jpg.bc4cf52f61233670ebcaf9a4acafc2b3.jpg20240705_131605.thumb.jpg.13e9a219f99766c456a1b55496c80e15.jpg

Maybe not the easiest thing to see, but the 1/32" gap is on the right side.

20240705_140010.thumb.jpg.bc4cf52f61233670ebcaf9a4acafc2b3.jpg

Fixture removed from backing board and being made parallel.

20240705_140901.thumb.jpg.89a9c567bde176e8348ac0f9d5412628.jpg

Proof that the fixture is parallel, and trust me on this, the channel is spot on.

20240705_141448.thumb.jpg.93d7772d8f4b4962fa68a8e6ac212f83.jpg

20240705_141513.thumb.jpg.26ed5b48a43b23e4aebb146fbd2991cb.jpg

Unfortunately, as good as these strips are, that I got from modelers sawmill, they do vary in thickness a little bit. So to get a snug fit at the channel, I've got to pick and choose the strips from the batch. Ultimately no big deal.

These last two photo shows the fixture potentially ready to deal with the next six strips.  Again, I'll have to sift through the material to find six that will fit snugly.

20240705_145615.thumb.jpg.8d55014143a35b62cce262106d549d86.jpg

20240705_145626.thumb.jpg.e9f6e4b0b0982b795577806b190b207a.jpg

Okay, I'm off to tackle some honey do chores.  Back in a few days..

Typos

I do something similar. I've copied every Constitution log I've ever followed, some good, some not so good: 38 on going; 25 now completed; 26 dormant, logs never completed. This is how I've been able to locate information quickly from these builders. I can do word searches on their complete logs without having to go page by page on the websites. (BTW, I don't trust websites; they crash, disappear, and change location of their pages.) Should there be something interesting like an impressive jig or construction method I may want to use, I will copy and paste that portion of the log as a separate document and file it in the appropriate subject folder for easy reference. I also collect images of the real ship. A lot of the images you can't find directly with a search engine I gotten by looking for "A" and finding "B". They are all sorted into individual subject folders. I've got about 1,400 images; and the US Navy plans from various sources.  Yeah, so I guess I am the reference guy.

Jon

Jon, Yours was the first log I copied, Then i coped Rentner and MTBediz. They are all truly gems.

Woodartist: I feel flattered. Remember, the Conny is only my second square rigged ship and third wooden model. So take everything I say/do with a grain of salt. I am an experience amateur, not an expert. It is why I explain what I do so that the reader may avoid any mistakes I may have made.

Jon