Arvia by Dave Wood - FINISHED - 1:250 - P&O Cruise Ship

First build log submission to this site,

Currently building a 1:250 model of P&O's newest cruise ship Arvia, follow an earlier less detailed 1;500 build.

Background - the earlier 1:500 scratch build I did of Arvia was based on an earlier 1:500 build I did of her sister ship Iona, which we sailed on in June 2022.

3d design done using Fusion 360 from Photos and Youtube videos.

I am currently 3d printing this model using multi colour 3d filament on Bambu Lab X1C printers (using filament mostly sponsored by Bambu Lab).

I do intend to also attempt some CNC and laser printing of cruise and other ship types once I have completed the next few ships.

So far I have printed 1) the above sea leave hull - up to Deck 6, which consists of 6 parts joined together with dovetails - total print time about 45hrs. 2) Deck 7 - which consists of 5 parts, plus the 16 lifeboats - print time for this deck about 20 hrs.   

Currently I am working on refinements to the design of the promenade deck (Deck8) - which will have a fair amount of additional multi coloured detail when compared to my previous models - including features such as people, chairs, tables, loungers etc. - so likely to take a while to complete.

The total number of decks are 19 - so quite a few to go.

Will attempt some photo uploads in separate posts.

Current fleet

TUI Skyla 1:250

TUI Skyla 1:500

P&O Cruises Arvia 1:500

P&O Cruises Iona 1:500

P&O Cruises Axura 1:500

P&O Cruises Ventura 1:500 (my first model, and ship we have sailed in the most)

IMG_7875.thumb.JPG.9bac489aeec4f4f6b5ed2c1654e733cc.JPG

Edited by Dave Wood
Added ship names

Arvia water level hull (up to Deck 6).

3d printed in 6 sections - with print times in hrs  (bow to stern 11,5,4,5,5,15).

Printed using a 0.6mm Nozzle on Bambu Lab X1c

IMG_7968.JPG

Test prints for Deck 8 - using a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.2mm layer height.

2m human figures at 1:250 scale are around 8mm high.

Earlier 1:500 models too small for these sort of details to be added.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 16.48.56.png

IMG_8021.JPG

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 12.39.31.png

Hi Dave,

These are absolutely fascinating.  Did you get the plans through Peninsular & Oriental, Carnival, Meyer Werft or elsewhere?

Thanks for starting this log.

Allan 

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

7 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Dave,

These are absolutely fascinating.  Did you get the plans through Peninsular & Oriental, Carnival, Meyer Werft or elsewhere?

Thanks for starting this log.

Allan 

Allan - I just used the deck plans that people use to choose their cabins which are not exactly to scale, then used photos and videos. Would be good though if i coupd find a way of getting access to the proper plans for these sort of ships.  Dave

It will likely take a bit of research but I would start with Meyer Werft.  I have been given drawings by shipyards in the past when I told them I was interested in building a model.  These were pleasure craft, but it might work for your project as well. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

25 minutes ago, allanyed said:

It will likely take a bit of research but I would start with Meyer Werft.  I have been given drawings by shipyards in the past when I told them I was interested in building a model.  These were pleasure craft, but it might work for your project as well. 

Allan

My main area of gap is in the underwater profiles.   So far I have only modelled above the waterline - but would like to try adding below waterline parts too - partly for display and partly for possilbe RC conversion and floating - so will give the shipyards a try first.

From a distance and with my eye sight deck8 stern print looking pretty good.  

Could perhaps refine the tiny models a little bit or maybe use a different filament for the arms - its PLA Metal.

Still quite pleased with the results.  Back section took about 8 hrs to print.

Back section of deck 8 printed on 0.4mm nozzle, rest of ship so far all printed on 0.6mm Nozzle.

Screenshot2023-08-09at21_47_34.thumb.png.182a8ed1356d2b274f50189ed5399394.png

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.4a502a44c32e24970186df99023f1fc1.JPGIMG_8081.thumb.JPG.f8a6f93f357bd1e9d41e9728bbbf8820.JPGScreenshot2023-08-09at21_57_24.png.2e035c25464809e5628899b3b95d2a78.pngIMG_8075.thumb.JPG.fd8663ec9301ab7dc6caad19b68caa29.JPGIMG_8076.thumb.JPG.a1b7c216668557df6dea9544c57efb13.JPGIMG_8077.thumb.JPG.0586728210ff35e99e955790466ca3f9.JPG

Now up to deck 11, with deck 12-15 ready to print (Luckily the middle 4 sections of deck 10-15 are all identical).

Had some challenges with Fusion 360 - particularly relating to changing my deck section joining method over from 'tight dovetails' to mostly 'springy T slot' (other than the centre joint with is a 'loose dovetail' to allow for dissassembly. 

Quite pleased with furniture demo on Promenade deck, and example person in controversial  'Balcony Mini Suite'.

Will likely also create a 1:1250 version of Arvia model too - as _CNPICs on printables has printed my Iona 1:500 model single colour in one go at 1:1250 and it came out surprisingly well.    Iona 1:1250 print.  

IMG_8166.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

Edited by Dave Wood

6 hours ago, Dave Wood said:

Now up to deck 11, with deck 12-15 ready to print (Luckily the middle 4 sections of deck 10-15 are all identical).

Had some challenges with Fusion 360 - particularly relating to changing my deck section joining method over from 'tight dovetails' to mostly 'springy T slot' (other than the centre joint with is a 'loose dovetail' to allow for dissassembly. 

Quite pleased with furniture demo on Promenade deck, and example person in controversial  'Balcony Mini Suite'.

Will likely also create a 1:1250 version of Arvia model too - as _CNPICs on printables has printed my Iona 1:500 model single colour in one go at 1:1250 and it came out surprisingly well.    Iona 1:1250 print.  

IMG_8166.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

Hoping too see the Arvia's 1:250 model soon on Printables!

5 hours ago, JackWilson9 said:

Hoping too see the Arvia's 1:250 model soon on Printables!

Haha - Given the lack of interest in the 1:500 models I published - probably won't bother releasing 1:250 models any time soon.  Plus this will probably be the only one I do myself as printing it is taking weeks to print the 100+ plates, plus I don't have the space for too many.

I am however going to opposite direction - currently prototyping a 1:1000 version of Ventura that you can print on a single plate.  About 6 hrs printing time single colour and about 20hrs multi colour. 

Edited by Dave Wood

Just discovered this fantastic thread on Cruise Community. Arvia Construction  wish I'd found it earlier - but will be very useful for later below waterline additions.  Plus I think I will also try and break the 1:1000 version into real sections as they were delivered - might try making a video that intersperses the parts being delivered and then being built up one by one.

Deck build up continuing to progress nicely - also interesting to see the difference in scale between this 1:250 model and the 1:1000 P&O Cruises Ventura model that I am also working on.  Its a slightly smaller ship - but looks tiny compared to Ariva 250.

Next stage is to Model more detail into Deck16 before I can print it- particularly the swim up bar at the back.

IMG_8225.JPG

Edited by Dave Wood

Now complete up to Deck17 - most of deck18 ready to go - just the high ropes and golf course to add detail to.

Biggest issue is fixing Deck17 down - had hoped to do this deck with magnets - however proving difficult to get them to fit on the underside.

Quite pleased how the Sun Beds came out.

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

Finer details of onboard crazy golf coming along - quite please with roofs of little shacks - did it with a loft, which is shelled, then on one surface put some random sketch lines, then did pipes along each line.  Then did a circular pattern to replicate the lines over each face.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 09.43.08.png

Bit of yellow staining on some white parts - so should have increased flushing volumes, but will do for now.  So that's all of deck 18 now complete.   Might reprint though with a more sandy yellow colour filament if I can find a suitable one.

Just deck 19 and funnel to go now.

IMG_8277.JPG

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 07.31.34.png

IMG_8278.JPG

IMG_8279.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

IMG_8281.JPG

IMG_8282.JPG

Edited by Dave Wood
Added more images

• 2 weeks later...

Closer to realistic high ropes now modelled, plus some corrections to deck 18 - not sure how well it is going to print though.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 17.03.27.png

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 17.02.33.png

Quite pleased at how the high ropes etc. print came out - had to resort to thread to rescue a couple of failed sections - but maybe I should use it a little more for some other ropes.

IMG_8346.JPG

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8344.JPG

Finished. Might just add a few flags. Biggest problem now is finding somewhere suitable in the house to display it.

IMG_8351.thumb.jpeg.97739fbeab71fe9aefafa825ac5afe77.jpegIMG_8352.thumb.jpeg.5acd75ef7396ca806a087260b61ddfdb.jpegIMG_8353.thumb.jpeg.abcd88e8868d99f1420cc2072017341e.jpeg

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

Very cool!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to modelling the underwater parts of Arvia - presented in this pictures underneath Iona - as I assume the two sisters are probably identical under the water.   Not sure if I have got the proportions correct, shapes quite right, or whether I have missed any bits.

Will probably just apply these additions to my 1:1000 versions initially.

Got the shapes from various photos on Cruise Critic and YouTube.

May contact yard as suggested a few months ago - with this pictures to see if they are willing to help with better pictures or plans.

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 15.14.01.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 15.14.17.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 15.14.42.png

I have serious doubts about those 3 thrusters you put in the center body. Did you see that on pictures somewhere? Doesn't make much sense. In a normal case they'd just put stern thrusters in the skeg aft, just forward of the azipods. 

Through the body of the ship, with extremely long tunnels, probably doesn't work. You also wouldn't want that kind of noise on a cruise ship in such a location. All side thrusters create quite some noise when in use, not a huge problem near the bow or stern, but spread out like this...

The stabilizing fins are also likely angled downwards a bit, but may be correct after all. 

Some dry dock or construction pictures of these ships should be available somewhere.

I had a further look at the ship and think I know where you got that. The three markings on the hull, where you located those thrusters are actually signs to show tugs where they can push. They're not thruster marks like on the bow. 

She doesn't have stern thrusters neither, since the azipods can be used sideways aft. 

6 minutes ago, Javelin said:

I had a further look at the ship and think I know where you got that. The three markings on the hull, where you located those thrusters are actually signs to show tugs where they can push. They're not thruster marks like on the bow. 

She doesn't have stern thrusters neither, since the azipods can be used sideways aft. 

Great thanks for the feedback and you are correct I thought those signs on the side mean't there were thrusters there, so will remove them.

Plus will also angle the fins down a bit.

Also I think I need to change the direction of the propellors too on one of the azipods and two of the remaining thrusters.

1 hour ago, Javelin said:

Thanks for the feedback - have corrected the underside of the ship to a) Remove 3 thrusters, b) Swap the direction of some of the propellors, c) Aim the stabilisers slightly down.

Have also included some Fusion 360 renders too

Iona_v6b_Arvia_V3_S1005_animation_test_2023-Dec-30_11-08-34PM-000_CustomizedView32072414477.png

Iona_Arvia_Hull_2023-Dec-31_07-37-42AM-000_CustomizedView40836521577.png

Iona_Arvia_Hull_2023-Dec-31_07-35-39AM-000_CustomizedView14485927882.png

Iona_Arvia_Hull_2023-Dec-31_07-36-21AM-000_CustomizedView34308893895.png

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 07.34.04.png

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 07.34.30.png

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 07.34.51.png