My other Hobby by Javlin - Tabletop/Nightstand - 1/1

Javlin

My wife has been pestering me about a new table/nightstand type deal for the living room to go by her Lazy Boy.Well,I decided on a triangle base three corners,three braces(7") with three 1/4" stringers.The top will be an octagon with a basic quarter round.The woods I am using is my favorite Sapele(cheap African mahogany) is the main wood and minor is a Birch.I find my self when building pieces using the numbers of God alot  like 3,7,8,10,12 and 13 the 12 tribes,apostles and Jesus.That formula lends itself to small pieces like this one and the last one,my way of honoring God in my work.I am pretty useless otherwise :rolleyes:

The rubber band method works great for holding together pieces of wood of odd shapes learned it on tour in Lafayette LA one day from an old man maybe 10/12 years ago first time I have used it works better with ole bicycle inner tubes.The angles have been perplexing at times and just had to trust my math from back in the day when going to school for engineering.The Birch up front was somewhat of a Birch knowing all along relative angles exist/abound in the pieces on the table/floor think and one will persevere.I did not want to have to look at a 60' angle up front hence the solution.;)

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

Following this build log. Looks good so far. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Thanks Robert coming along well thus far had a SNAFU but hid/fixed.The side you see now is not glued together just the mortise/tenon holding it together the middle rung is about .010 to short :default_wallbash:I hate that I will take it out and see if will fit one of the other sides better other wise I have shimed before.The tablesaw I have set up for box joints and doing tenons in this case(usually do by hand ) the measurements depth of the blade has changed.The wood is going to pop once I apply my oils and I have started on the top yet.

woodwork 004.JPG

11 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Wow, that's a great skill. I seem genetically incapable of making a square cut on a piece of wood so I admire this very much.

looks great so far

Alan

Thanks Alan thought not perfect it's close and so close I hope to be able to hide any imperfections.Today was the very first time in 35years of doing wood work my finger ever touch a blade took some nail and shred some skin but no blood,I lower the blade after that doing 30'angle cuts.:Whew:

Nice project Kevin!  Do you ever rest??  Your building prowess is really impressive.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

29 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice project Kevin!  Do you ever rest??  Your building prowess is really impressive.

Not really Mike Life is to short even though the Lord tells me I am getting younger everyday :rolleyes: so push on.Everything went together just great nothing like a plan in motion working properly.The stand is one of the tightest I have ever built using the mortise/tenons !I have switched gears this morning on the top weras I was going to do Sapele it will now be Maple with 1 maybe 2 inlays of Sapele the color change will break up the monotony.I deplore stains for the most part when you want to change the color change the wood.;)

woodwork 001.JPG

woodwork 002.JPG

woodwork 003.JPG

It's just about complete one more sanding up top and the top was a PIA.This is my second octagon top and the last one came out better the problem is the center everything is heading to the center very hard for me ATTM to get perfect hence the round plug (Symbolizes coming full circle completion) That's my story :rolleyes:The other issue was the Diablo blades I use on my 7 1/4" miter saw/radial was flexing the cuts were not fully straight gave me fits last night.I said sleep on it look at it with fresh mind/eyes.I checked the radial smooth and true,then was the blade shaft wobbling no wobble standard front/back motion and then I looked at the blade?The blade is .028" thick I started to wonder went and pulled a cheap 40T Avanti blade down .048" I started cleaning up the remaining pieces of high points on the previously cut pieces and able to save the work.:hsmack:It's not perfect but Momma is happy that's the important part.;)

The other pic is one I did for my Sis she lives in a house over 100 years old and had a vase that sat on the floor>The top is Leopard Wood with Zebra for the inlay with three curved legs of Aromatic Cedar.Well I thought I had a pick of the legs ??

woodwork 001.JPG

Paula's.jpg

Edited by Javlin

It's a nice looking stand regardless of the woes you had.

Good Job in my book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

47 minutes ago, robert952 said:

Good Job in my book

Thanks Robert the woes were not something that could not be overcome in the end.I just really did not feel like wasting more Maple for the top it was close enough.The only piece of work I ever drew out plans was for the floor cabinet and it was just dimensions really the rest was adhoc.The stand never met the first piece of paper it started in the mind and developed along the way.I have a paying gig for a sister that will incorporate some I learned here on the ends of the entertainment center the stringers will arch I am calling it "Sunrise".My floor cabinet ....:imNotWorthy:

rifles 008.JPG

rifles 005.JPG

rifles 009.JPG

Edited by Javlin

• 2 weeks later...

very nice work Jav.......the choice of wood you used eye catching {especially the second one} :) 

nice selections of planes too........how many are in there? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch