I didn't admit that in public did I?

Nate_A

Sooo, I'm finally rolling back around to model ship building.  

I first started model ship building back in the late 1960's with my dad.  He started me with a sailboat that had a U shaped clip that controlled the rudder.  Using a rubber band it would sail out, then when the clip disengaged the rudder it would sail back.... or at least that was the plan.

Much like that long ago sail boat I have spent the last 50 plus years tacking back and forth and now find myself returning to model ship building.  But, now I have the time (I hope).  The finances, and the desire to be able to complete the models I have been stockpiling since that early experience.

Not surprisingly I have two projects I wish to begin.  One will be a gift to my dad, who is happily still telling me what I should be doing.  For him, I have a 30 YO Expo Models1805 Swift kit that has been sitting waiting for him to start for 30+ years.

My second project is what landed me here... sigh, no, looooong deeep sigh.  I have children,  I apologize, they too will probably end up here in the 2080's... 😉 

My eldest thought I would enjoy living my youth by building "another" Lindberg "Blue Devil Destroyer".  That is what actually lead me here. Yep, I'm trying to rebuild a Lindberg 1:125 Fletcher class as a properly scaled and built DD-662 USS Bennion.  And yes, I'm considering buying a LSF 3D printer in order to make that a reality.  (It was a nice ax, but it really came into it's own when I replaced the axe head.  But it wasn't a proper axe till I also replaced the handle....).

All of that said, no, I am not new to modeling. I was a plastic modeler thru my early youth.  That lead to RC airplanes, which lead to a 22 year career in the Army.  While I was in I started and ran Blackstone Valley Railway.  I manufactured museum scale model railroad bridges and structures in N thru full scale.  After selling that off I started Blackstone Valley Precision.  BVP started as a gunsmith business, that quickly changed when I built a rifle for Adam Kodra. (https://www.news8000.com/news/the-long-shot/article_27a7fbc2-1350-5098-b4fb-2062e5254b92.html) .

Now, I'm taking a 5 year break till I retire again from federal service.  During that break I want to restart my model building. So, I have 5 years to build the 1805 Swift, 1:125 Fletcher Class Destroyer, 1/5th Scale Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX (RC), 1/4 Scale J-3 Piper Cub (RC) and if time permits a 1/5 Scale DE Haviland Mosquito (RC).

Probably should mention, in my "free time" I moderate the website www.YXZTalk.com (WWart user name), something I ended up doing since my wife, here after known as SWMBO has a SxS that she treats like a horse that needs to be broke, and I treat like her own personal NASCAR ride.  Yep, 0-60 in under 4 seconds but still able to run over 1000 miles without a breakdown. 

Nate 

Edited by Nate_A

44 minutes ago, Nate_A said:

1805 Swift, 1:125 Fletcher Class Destroyer, 1/5th Scale Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX (RC), 1/4 Scale J-3 Piper Cub (RC) and if time permits a 1/5 Scale DE Haviland Mosquito (RC)

I am thinking that one of these is very much unlike any of the others.   The Swift - I am guessing - is a second generation POB kit.  As such,  it is light years better than the early Italian POB kits with not enough moulds to shape a hull,  but it will still involve a serious degree degree of scratch fabrication.  The instructions will probably have been written with the expectation that you have previous POB experience or have a couple of the general how-to books available at the time the kit was introduced. 

The airwaves here and in the NRJ say that current kits involve much less scratch building - not that this is a particularly good thing as far as gaining the necessary skills and confidence to progress beyond the need for a kit.   With an eye towards you completing your tasks, in your time interval, give a thought to saving Swift until all of the others are completed and before beginning , take a detour to something like the Shipwright series from Model Shipways.  Wood is an entirely different critter and an old "you just should already know what to do" sort of kit can be quicksand or a ghost coast of wrecked ambitions.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thank you @JeffT much appreciated. 

@Jaager You are probably right.. But,  well, I'm just not that smart. 🙂

My dad is pushing 95 so I'd like to complete the Swift sooner rather than later.  Having surveyed the kit I don't think its beyond my capabilities.... yep, famous last words.

Time will tell. And worst case ill have to buy again and start over. I have already redrawn all the parts so I can re cut them on the laser if need be.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW, Nate.  Do a search search of the build logs for the Swift and also, do give some serious consideration to the Shipwright series from Model Shipways.   Most importantly, open a build log on any and all projects as they are a great way to get help and make friends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Aboard Nate!  I recall building an 1805 Swift around 1985.   It looked like the thin plywood bulkheads on the kit I had were cut out using a router as the groove around each bulkhead was about 1/16" wide.  Those were the good ole days before laser cutting.

Wawona59

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner