Sovereign of the Seas by 72Nova - Airfix - PLASTIC

Good day Michael,

She looks very nice , You reached 100 % wooden effect!!! I like it very much!

That inner windows on pop deck , looks a little too big, almost same size as the

gate? Is that correct.?.. are there need to be any windows at all or just round cuts for light armor/guns?

All the Best!

Thank you, Frank and Kirill, the decking for the most part is completed along with the poop deck bulkhead.....whew!!!. The final railings and steps will be added at the Qtr and poop decks once the hull and decks are glued in. Yes, the windows at the Qtr deck bulkhead might be a tad too big but overall in the grand scheme of things will not stand out, using the existing upper Qtr deck bulkhead I fashioned it as close to McKay's plans as possible to include 2 cannons and some artistic license. At this scale there are going to be some compromises. I still need to add a bit more decorations to the prior bulkheads or tone down the bling on the poop deck bulkhead, thanks for looking .

Michael D. 

20240117-173238.jpg20240117-175505.jpg20240117-173249.jpg

20240114-131521.jpg20240117-173309.jpg

Superb detail  painting   -  really  tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The detailing of the bulkheads is finally complete, obviously a lot of artistic license used here, but looks like a decent representation, now I can get back to work on the hull prior to glueing it up then finally set the decks in place.

Michael D.

20240118-230052.jpg

20240118-230019.jpg20240118-230045.jpg20240118-230105.jpg

You certainly have a loyal audience, but I feel like the broader MSW community is really missing out by not seeing the magical things that you do.  You don’t strike me as one for self promotion, Michael, but MSW should have a featured builds page.  I’m as guilty of it as anyone because I tend to stay within the late 16th into the 17th Century category, but I am frequently amazed at what I find when I do check-in on the 18th Century.

Anyway, I love what you are doing here!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Thank you gentlemen, Marc adding another category does seem like a good idea and from I've  seen, there really are a stagering amount of great modelers in each era, so how would one choose? plus the potential  risk of over saturation of categories but certainly  food for thought.

Ian it's  a pity I do not  remember you  from the Victory website days, were building  yours around that time frame? Happy Modeling!

Michael D

Working on the channels and mocking up the chains, option A on the right is 28g brass wire with an eye formed on one end for the 2mm dead eye and fed thru the hull, option B on left using the same 28g wire with an eye formed on the end but flattened and a returned formed on the other end where a nail will be used to secure it to the hull, this option took considerably more time to fabricate and is more accurate but honestly they both look good at this scale, as with my Vasa build all the channels, chains and dead eyes with the exception of the Mizzen will be made up before hand and put away until after the hull is glued up, there is no Mizzen channel as the dead eyes are attached to the side of the hull. 

Michael D.

20240124-191447.jpg20240124-191646.jpg

20240124-191819.jpg

Yes I did Ian, once muscle memory sets in though, production is much faster😁. Marc at this point I'm inclined to use option A for that reason plus I can make them more uniform as well.

Michael D.

• 3 weeks later...

I still had quite a bit of work left to do on the hull prior to gluing up so that's been my focus, I'm opening up some of gun ports and thickening the hull in those areas, also finished up putting in the last gunport beneath the gallery. I finished the added decorations, I used artists acrylic and hand painted them in, this left a raised surface to make it easier to gold leaf, I know they are just kind of random in their looks with no rhyme or reason but at this scale I think it looks okay, still need to work the leaf more and some touch up along with installing the window panes. Thank for looking.

Michael D.

20240210-192428.jpg20240210-192231.jpg

Making a little more progress on the port side hull, finished up the gallery window panes and made new timberheads, these little guys measure less then 2mm, while not 100% uniform they won't be too noticeable once all the rigging is in place, also started painting the bulwarks , I used Tuscan red.

Michael D.

20240213-163433.jpg20240213-163559.jpg20240213-163401.jpg

Thank you, Ian, means a lot coming from someone with a decerning eye. Knee deep into gilding the port side hull and adding decorations, I always apply a gold base before applying the leaf as any voids are not seen, honestly the gold leaf paint looks pretty good but doesn't quite have the luster I'm after with the leaf. The desert yellow on the hull is just base for the whitewash I'll be applying. Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20240216-094212.jpg

20240216-094431.jpg

Thank you Ian, yes I'll be adding decorations  at the bow also along with the side  lantern area and above the gun ports, the only  medium I've been using is Sulpey and I find the  castings are too proud for these  smaller areas  so I just freehand  them in with paint.

Michael D.

I competed the bow decorations, also I removed the existing center carving in the trailboard and replaced it with a grid design based on Payne. I scribed in the scarf joints on the stem/keel as well.

Michael D.

20240217-114831.jpg

20240217-114910.jpg

Somewhat of a crowning moment, besides some minimal fine tuning, the gilding on the port side is more or less complete along with making the as cast lanterns look as good as possible, they'll suffice.

Michael D.

20240218-163115.jpg

20240218-163159.jpg

A very nice paint job.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The gun ports I opened up are trimmed out and painted along with the lower hull. once I complete the starboard side and the hull is glued together I'll finish modifying the stern/rudder post, rudder, pintles and gudgeons.

Thanks for looking.

Michael D.

20240220-181644.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 1:35 PM, Ian_Grant said:

Michael, as you know I have this in my stash and know how tiny it is. Otherwise I might assume from the above pics that it is a 1/100 scale model. Looks fantastic!

I noticed that the actual molds have fewer decorations at the bow than the box art; will you be casting more to add?

The kit is around 1/168.  However, that is a close guestimate . . .

Bill

No worries, Marc we all have more important things to do in life. Thanks for the compliment, it's been a while since I had to paint details with crisp lines etc.

Michael D.

Unbelievable....... incredible what you can do with that little model. My hat off.

Jan

Finished:       Ark Royal 1588

Mary Rose 1545

Arabian Dhow

Revenge 1577 ( first attempt )

La Couronne 1636

Trinidad 1519

Revenge 1577 ( the second one )

Nina 1492

Pinta 1492

Santa Maria 1492

San Salvador 1543

Anna Maria 1694

Sao Gabriel 1497

On the table: Sovereign of the Seas 1636 - continuing after 12 years

All of them are paper models

Just discovered your build log today.  Your log is like a good novel, I just couldn't put it down.  Incredible work on the deck and gilding!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:  Flying Fish restart - Model Shipways 1/96

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner