Bugatti Type 35b by kpnuts - Italeri - 1/12

kpnuts

Made a start on the bugatti I've been reliably informed that only the factory cars had the machine polishing so I don't need to replicate it as I'm depicting as a race car. 

Anyway I've made a start

I've read on another forum where someone said what a joy this was to build "the fit is sublime and the detail is exquisite " sorry I don't agree, this is a totally new mould, I think the detail is soft and I've barely started and the engine block needs a lot of fettling the sump front end sits too high if you use the locating areas it sits 1/2 a mill too high which when you add it to the engine leaves a gap at one end, I cut the locating area off which fixed that.

The 2 half's of the block when joined together have a molded pipe which is thicker on one half than the other, small details but they take time to fix so 7 bits glued together and 1 1/2 hours down, no paint yet (waiting for it to come) I will admit not building it in the order of the instructions (because I don't have the paint yet) they have you start with the chassis I have briefly checked the body molds and they do look OK but I'm not impressed at what I've seen so far, there is a lot for filling needed between the sump and the block already. I was so looking forward to this kit, now I'm dreading it.

Not a great start back into modelling. Paint won't be here till. Saturday so can't get much more done.

20240101_174547.thumb.jpg.a65dd52cd707689b83b250fb122b8963.jpg)20240101_174556.thumb.jpg.947d9a4b4874aa47e1ba10d509a5c8c2.jpg20240101_174600.thumb.jpg.051f14845eb5648343d1b72a63a69f28.jpg20240101_174607.thumb.jpg.2a905f089359d243c0f90d8b675b91c7.jpg

Hi all sorry I've not posted progress on this for a while, since I stopped building I put all my modelling stuff in the shed  ( we have the grandchildren in the spare room when we have them and don't want to take risks with the dangers of model supplies and our precious grand children) I have favorite products for painting engines and can't find any of them in the places I thought I put them in the shed.

I've filled and primed the engine but done nothing else to it so not really anything worth posting, I will find the paints I'm looking for, this is really just to say I've not stopped again.

So I'm getting less and less impressed with this kit, the instructions would have you in stages 1 and 2 glue parts 32c and 33c in then in stage 8 would have you attach the silver wire with the vinyl tube the chain is very fragile and the tube is a very tight fit, thus its an impossible task (at least without risking breaking the chain, also you have to add the silver wire to a slot in the back of parts 32c and33c which is on the inside and so can't be seen. I had to carefully remove the parts to attatch the wires then glue the parts back in with the wires already attached. They would have been better saying to attach the wires at stage 1 before you glue the parts in place, doing that would not interfere with any assy after that and would make life so much easier.

20240128_181030.jpg

20240128_181040.jpg

20240128_181049.jpg

20240128_181102.jpg

20240128_181219.jpg

17 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Started dirtying up the chassis, got so many ideas about staging this wreck, I really want to show the chassis and engine separate from the bodywork, thinking in a barn with body parts piled up somewhere, so many ideas.

Romantic view or wish: the treasure sleeping in a barn, ready to be restored! I doubt that you will ever find a Bugatti in a barn, especially the 35B type. It is not the kind of car countrymen usually buy.

Yves

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Freaking good work! The engine, manifolds and body look very convincing.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.