Hello from Duluth, Minnesota - and request for direction.

I am a new member to MSW.    I am an avid sailor who currently owns a UFO Foiler - which has been a heck of a learning experience.    Originally from Long Island NY and after 20 years in the US Navy and other logistics work for DoD, we retired to Duluth, MN.

I joined this group to get recommendations on restoring a pond sailboat that has been in our family for 80+ years.    The story was it was made for my uncle who would be 90 years old this year.   The hull is 25 " on deck.    I stripped the hull down and modifed the keel for a better look.    

I realize this boat is more sentimental value but hope this is the right place to start.

Thank you,

Joe

Dad's pictures of wooden sailboat 080.JPG

Dad's pictures of wooden sailboat 089.JPG

Dad's pictures of wooden sailboat 095.JPG

PXL_20240111_221032329.jpg

PXL_20240111_221039169.jpg

PXL_20240111_221110443.jpg

Joe, welcome to MSW. Good  luck with your restoration. Glad to have you aboard. 

:sign:

Ahoy Joe, this is the place to be, lots of people here will help.  Good luck on your journey.    :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome.  Nice to have another member from Minnesota.

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Hi, Joe. I think you will get a lot more help with your questions if you start a build log in the scratch builds section (click here to get started with naming conventions and then create your log in this section). Both pond yachts and restoration work are a little on the esoteric side of the hobby, but we do have members with expertise on those subjects. Good luck!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome from another sailor. While I'm landlocked now I spent years sailing different sloops from 18 foot to 50 foot. Sailed most of the Great Lakes as well at the Leeward Islands. My last boat was a S2 9.1 meter sloop.

I love the old model you have. Stripping it down reveales many of the build techniques and makes a great project.

I'm sure you will find the help you need here as well as great mates.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

Welcome to MSW!   I'm sure you'll find answers to your questions among the members of this group.  Your pond yacht project looks interesting.  Removing the old paint reveals some of the details of its construction.  Looks like you've got lots of sanding ahead.  As Chris suggested, start a build log in the scratch build section to post pictures of your progress.  MSW has a fine group of modelers who should be able to help you on your journey.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)