HMS Spiraea and HMS Zinnia by king derelict - Mirage Hobby - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Flower-Class Corvettes

Nice recovery ! Yes Life Color paints work well even brushed on by hand. I did my 1:350 Navy ships using Life Color paints

30 minutes ago, king derelict said:

Well after the usual expenditure of money and effort I seem to have beaten the real world back into its rightful place in the background of life. Doubtless it will be back at some point.

I completed the masking and air brushing of the three colour camouflage and with great nervousness removed the tape. A few spots to touch up and I am happy with it. The mid grey / green doesn't quite have the contrast I wanted but I think I will live with it.

The Life Color paints worked well and diluted with Tamiya acrylic thinner very nicely although I had to lift the airbrush pressure a tad relative to what I use for Tamiya acrylics. I don't think my masking was very different from the first attempt so I think the disaster resulted from using water to thin the AK paints. i think the longer drying time allowed the thinned paint to penetrate under the masks before drying. It was also colder in the garage then which also extended the drying time Thank you @Old Collingwood for the helpful tip regarding Life Color acrylics

RIMG0076.thumb.JPG.67e03698afdc1f56ba8e72e43701fcfd.JPG

RIMG0077.thumb.JPG.d9ce561fb6cf2ac3029e3a193c243d59.JPG

RIMG0078.thumb.JPG.4d64316cd3f54d4d0a1c73c1d1f4e592.JPG

So forward at last and I can start adding the mix of details from the kit and the WE PE.

Thanks for looking in and likes and comments

Alan

Glad the  Lifecolour  worked well  - I liked them  when I used  them,  that  really  looks  nice Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 hours ago, king derelict said:

Hi Andrew. I hope all is well with you. I always enjoy your build logs. I'm gathering enthusiasm to finish this build

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Looking forward to seeing this come together, the sea looks very good. I’m back on MSW after an absence, won’t hijack your log here, the reasons are on my Trial log. 

22 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice recovery ! Yes Life Color paints work well even brushed on by hand. I did my 1:350 Navy ships using Life Color paints

Thank you Jack. I touched up the small bleeds past the masks with a brush and the paint went on very nicely. Onto the fun stuff now.

Alan

22 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Glad the  Lifecolour  worked well  - I liked them  when I used  them,  that  really  looks  nice Alan.

OC.

Thanks OC. The Life Color paints are a useful addition. The IBG Hunt destroyers and the Mirage Flower corvettes all use variations of the three colour camouflage using the colours in the two Life Color RN WW2 sets.Thanks again

Alan

14 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Thanks Alan,

Looking forward to seeing this come together, the sea looks very good. I’m back on MSW after an absence, won’t hijack your log here, the reasons are on my Trial log. 

Thank you Andrew. I dived over to the Trial log and I now want to go back and read it from the beginning. Thats a beautiful model you have created; it tempts me to try a wooden ship but I worry about my innate inability to cut or sand at right angles . I was sorry to read about your health problems but I'm glad you got great medical care and wish you all the best for a full recovery. hopefully the Great British Summer has arrived and provides you with plenty of opportunities to enjoy it.

I'll be finishing off the miniature figure in the next few days and picking up the Flowers. I think Spiraea will go on the sea base. Zinnia will be displayed on a base.

Alan

Just caught up with your log Alan - great job!  Nice models and the diorama is going to be sweet!

For a 1/350 ship diorama, you can take a look at my Shimakaze build for how I did the seas.  They aren’t rough like yours, so my approach may not be of much help.

I love these Flower Class corvettes!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)