Fokker Dr.I by portchieboy - Artesania Latina - 1:16

Having completed all projects, I am now to unbox and start on the Fokker. Not done an aeroplane since I was a boy in the ATC, so very different. Also, this is largely a metal kit, so new skills required. I am not generally good at keeping up with blogs, so I promise I will try and keep things up to date. So wish me luck, and speak soon!

Is there a particular pilot you are doing? or just an exemplar of the type?

Whichever, I'm down for this...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice, I'll follow along.  I checked out the kit, parts list, and instructions on the Artesania Latina web site.  Looks like it will be an interesting challenge, and I say that being about 75% through their Sopwith Camel.  (Though it is currently on the shelf again).  The Fokker definitely has more metal parts and fewer wood parts than the Camel.  And it looks like it has a few more places to attempt the fake wood grain paint look, and those parts are more conspicuous.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Good plan. These Great War birds are so interesting. I'll be following.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well, that's the first 2 hours or so!

I love the comment on the box, easy to build. Hate to get a difficult one. Never mind, we all like a challenge, that's what makes it fun.

Very interesting the transition between wooden models, and metal. I am finding each bend a 'heart in the mouth ' moment. At least with wood, you can craft another piece. Let's just hope there aren't too many accidents.

17081915878754129342881909935599.jpg

I'm in, I also saw this on their website and it looked really interesting. Good luck with build

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35

PXL_20240224_115031151.thumb.jpg.8a78aa1000ef96a8352071745bf30f65.jpgPXL_20240224_115132643.thumb.jpg.0baf48c9e13e049b8a3a919e9a660185.jpgPXL_20240224_115020618.thumb.jpg.3423705e6870c0a5527fb357cb2376b4.jpgProgress so far. The painting is certainly fine, but very enjoyable. These parts are now set aside, whilst I file, and assemble the fuselage. I have noticed that instead of supplying parts M23  and M24, they have given me 2 x M23. No matter, the cockpit assembly sits on these spars, and instead of pinning the  cockpit in, I will glue it to the spar instead. Hope that makes sense!PXL_20240224_115153021.thumb.jpg.9245fa5c50d7f3a7121c6a864d3801b1.jpg

PXL_20240224_115045275.jpg

The fuselage is now largely together. It has, I must admit been taxing. Having spent several hours filing the moulding lines off, I then find that the lugs to which one affixes the brass joiners are mostly too large, and again need further, quite difficult shaping. 

When it came to joining it all together, I am afraid I found that some of the shaping was 'off', and the frame needed very slight pressure on the joins. That is when I realised how brittle was the metal, and I am afraid some pieces snapped off. All I can say is thank heavens for CA glue, I really do not know how else it would have worked.

The other little tip is that the width of the frame is approximately the same as a wooden toothpick, which proved invaluable to mend a strut on the tail!

So, down to page 17 now, wish me luck.

PXL_20240228_113235852.jpg

PXL_20240228_113309794.jpg

PXL_20240228_113351968.jpg

PXL_20240228_113427544.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, at last we moved on to the next stage. I must admit to some difficulties getting here. Firstly, the little 3mm brackets that go in the corners. What a nightmare.

There are 28 of them, and talk about fiddly. It took me a few days to work out a method. Problem is they are so small, have to be glued into a restricted area, and held whilst the glue dries. Even the best CA takes a while. Eventually I came up with using a tiny dot of Blue tack on the frame, sticking one end of the bracket in, then leaning the other end to touch the frame. Glue that on, leave 24 hours, then remove Blue tack and glue the 2nd end.

Once that was done, a few more spars to add, but again, I managed to break a couple in fitting. I must learn that cast pieces have absolutely no play in them whatever.

Never mind, all now fixed, and next job will be the seat bulkhead.

PXL_20240311_164544369.jpg

PXL_20240311_164559215.jpg

PXL_20240311_164607312.jpg

PXL_20240311_164637127.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Before you get too heavily into the 'rigging' may I suggest you find a non stretchy thread. I had a problem where even a little bit of stretch stopped the controls working. Your cockpit looks great.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Sorry, I am a peasant!! I don't know what tensors are, but, when I made my Sopwith all the control wires ie. ailerons, rudder etc worked to start with but by the time I finished it the wires/threads had stretched and rather spoilt the plan. That was using the thread provided. I know how tricky it is to get all those wires in a taught in the first place and then to find them saggy is very disappointing so, if you can find something non stretchy it will avoid the problem. I did even think about using fine wire which might work?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Posted (edited)

Interesting.  So @Mike Dowling, on the model expo sopwith camel, the control lines are made to actually move the control surfaces?  I am working on the Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel and the control lines are there but the control surfaces are not actually hinged, so nothing moves.  I have no idea if the Fokker Dr.1 is supposed to have moveable control surfaces.  Edit: Oh, I see it confirmed that the control surfaces are not moveable.

But, I agree that figuring out a good material for all the rigging would be helpful.  And if you manage to do it, let us know because so far I have failed.   The AL Camel has some black fishing line and some thicker black thread and I am not crazy about either one.  The fishing line does not tie well, making it at times difficult to get it to stay taut, and the black thread is too thick to fit through some of the holes in photo etched parts, making it more difficult to deal with and the slight fuzziness of the thread looks completely unrealistic.  I also tried some multi strand beading wire.  It looks more realistic (except perhaps the crimps to hold the ends together) but is difficult to get it taut as well.

Edited by gsdpic

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

I forgot that the Fokker didn't have working controls!! I told you I was a peasant!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: