What kind of Cutting Mat choose

Go to solution Solved by Jsk,

21 minutes ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

I don't use them.     My ship modeling area is only used for ship modeling.    The counters have kitchen counter type coverings.    In over 20 years they still are clean and without significant cuts. 

Hi @myksyzptlyk2003. What kind of surface do you use for cutting of PE?

Posted (edited)

I have a CHARVOZ cutting base (made in Japan)

size 12" x 18"

Bigger is always better in this case.

I use it to cut my card stock templates for some of my ship model pieces... presently orlop deck knees, otherwise they would never fit properly.

Bought it about a thousand years ago when I was working as a junior draughtsman in an engineering office making small table top cardboard mockups of industrial quench tanks. In this age they would just make a 3D model and maybe even a 3D print!

Now, being retired, it has proven to be quite handy in the home shop

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Sewing matts are good for cutting and usually have a grid to measure with. They are available in sewing "notions" stores and fabric centers and craft stores and come in a variety of sizes. Usually green. It seems that many modelers use them since you see them regularly in the logs. They do get brittle and sliced a bit with lots of use. I use for modeling then use the used ones in the garage on the bench .

Just about any type of the self-healing mats will work, In the US they are available from craft stores, and Walmart. Generally they are in the sewing section. Hobby stores should also carry them. My present one is 12X18". I also have a thick plate glass ex-shelf, that I use. This tends to dull my blades quicker than the plastic mats. It does make a good flat surface for assembling models though. The glass plate is also nice, in that you can slip a drawing under it, while modeling for reference. No worry about damaging the drawing, or photo, while also making sure it stays in place.

• Solution

I use several in three different sizes. The smallest is 5x7in and is convenient when I don't want to clean off the big mat to cut small pieces. I also use a hard plastic cutting board from the kitchen that the Admiral replace and was going to throw away.

No cutting matt here.  I use an old kitchen cutting board.  At some point in time, depending on how much it's used, I just do a bit sanding to get it smooth and flat again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have an A3 one and matching heavy steel-ruler for general paper cutting duties.

On the bench, I use a small A5 size one, which is easier move around, and a also a heavy glass plate. There is a trade-off between the soft, selfhealing mats that are nice to the cutters/scalpels and the more precise cutting without distortion on the glass-plate, but which is dulling the blades quickly.

Wood is ok for chopping operations, but the woodgrain can divert you blade when making longer through-cuts.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I use a mixture of  A3 and A4 matts fitted around my L-shaped desk.... something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IOZUHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

...but with a 3mm thickness.

They last for years, although solvents and scraping can remove some of the 1cm guidlines over time. So I just rotate the matt by 180 deg to get a fresh working area.  I don't recall ever cutting through one, but may have managed (when not concentrating) to drill some small holes through them.

Richard