F-100C Super Sabre by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:48 scale

Posted (edited)

Yeah, $45.00 is too much... I'm looking to see what I can find....

Warbirds does a set for the T-birds "D" models in 1/48th, If you can find them...

Well the Skyblazers and the T-birds flew F-100C's for a number of seasons before they switched to "D" models... I have the 1/32nd scale Trumpy F-100D which is a gorgeous model, (needs an aftermarket nose) but finding decent T-bird decals for it is just as much a problem as Skyblazers...

I fully understand it being a no-brainer... the F-100C will make a beautiful bird though it was one of the more colorful aircraft in the USAF inventory...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Posted (edited)

You know brother, the Trumpy  1:48 F-100D #02822 has the decals for both the T-birds and Skyblazers.... It can be had for as low as $34.... It's out there, most have it for around $45 -50....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/trumpeter-02822-f-100d-thunderbirds--203629

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/F-100D-IN-THUN.html?partner_id=9

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 4/1/2024 at 6:18 PM, CDW said:

Can someone here please explain why this particular aircraft has those distinctive color striations at/near the afterburner? I've often wondered but never read an explanation of why they all seem to have this look.

This can happen when Titanium alloy is cladded with aluminum. In my working experience, testing a titanium foil with aluminum deposited on it at high temperature (around 450 C) we got such a discoloration. The phenomenon is due to the aluminum getting migrated into the titanium and forming a intermetallic compound that had such a discoloration. A more familiar but similar phenomenon was visible with exhaust tubes of old style motorbikes that had tubes made of steel coated with chrome. Also in this case, under the effect of high temperature, the chromium went dissolved into steel making the typical, and much nicer in this case, bluish discoloration.

I hope this help,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Danstream said:

This can happen when Titanium alloy is cladded with aluminum. In my working experience, testing a titanium foil with aluminum deposited on it at high temperature (around 450 C) we got such a discoloration.

Yes this does and will happen, but it doesn't happen to the tail of an F-100, the tail of an F-100 is solid Titanium sheets, not clad in anything... High chromium content steels like high end stainless will show the same discolorations when subjected to high heat although it appears grey like any other steel when new...

Titanium alloys used for aircraft structural panels discolors like that starting at around 850 C.... In fact the reduction/elimination of that excess heating of the tail panels on aircraft led to the development of air bypass engines, to help keep the tail fuselage surfaces cool...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

My F-100 crewchief buddy confirms that the tail section was all Titanium.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild