Jules Verne’s Nautilus by Papa - Heinkel Models - 1:100 - CARD

This is a card model available for download from ecardmodels.com.  It consists of an introductory page, 2 pages showing how the pieces go together (but leaving out a lot of detail) and 7 pages of parts to cut out and assemble.  This is the only model of the Nautilus I have been able to find that is true to Verne’s description in the novel.

So here we go:

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Papa said:

This is the only model of the Nautilus I have been able to find that is true to Verne’s description in the novel.

Wow. Very, very different to the Nautilus in the Walt Disney movie.

Cheers

Edit. Should have added this image.

Screenshot_20240505_082956_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6d1ef58ad316529b43a01a0f33e4bfb1.jpg

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

• The title was changed to Jules Verne’s Nautilus by Papa - Heinkel Models - 1:100 - CARD

Permission to come aboard?

I recently found that Heinkel models are available on Wargame Vault. I usually have a credit there for rules I sell and I've been wondering what I can do to bring down the balance. Problem solved! I've added the USS Baltimore to my stash but I've been seriously thinking about the Turtle as a 'between other projects' project.

I'm looking forward to watching your experience with the Nautilus.

P.S., Who's Ron Miller?

Posted (edited)

One trick that I have discovered with card models is preshaping and test fitting pieces prior to gluing.

For curves pieces I usually run them over the edge of my work table to break down the fibers and make them take, and retain, the new shape.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

It can be tricky, especially following the curvature of a hull.

The Nautilus is one of my all time favorite submarines from fiction.

Jules Verne is one of my all time favorite authors.

So, I am very excited to see this build.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

I decided not to reprint and restart. I am continuing with what I have just being more careful in fitting.  I should have more pictures later today.   It has been a busy week with several medical issues.   There are no directions for the kit, just a few  pictures. So I am just guessing at some of the assembly.

The instructions did not say how one was supposed to use the circular pieces that look like internal supports.  They weren’t even to be printed on card stock.   Eventually I decided to glue them to 1/32 thick bass wood and cut them out.  I inserted the first few after having assembled 4 of the sections.  Now I do them as I proceed. Also if one cuts the windows out as printed there is no gluing surface.  ( discovered the hard way). Reprinted the windows and cut them leaving extra  card around the windows so there was something to glue to.  Hopefully the attached pictures will may some of this clear.  Also to get a better fit, rather than gluing the cylinders and then attaching, I wrapped them around the glue edge to get a perfect fit. 

IMG_6310.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

IMG_6312.jpeg

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

Looking good!  Keep at it!

Latest status.  Note the small round port.  This port (and its mate on the starboard side) are shown nowhere in any of the “instructions” or illustrations of the model.  Moreover, the blue lens is significantly smaller than the marked cut-out and required careful application of black marker to blend in.  Finally, the internal circular support is too large for the actual diameter of this mid section.  I think it is about time to assemble the stand, rather than balancing her on a coffee mug. 

IMG_6320.jpeg

The hull is finished.  I discovered that what I thought were portholes on the side are actually for the shaft for the diving fins.  See parts marked D1-D7 on the diagram in my first post.  The fins are not shown in the assembly drawings and are barely discernible in the photos.  I finally figured this out by referring back to some websites of the Nautilus. 

IMG_6324.jpeg

Edited by Papa

She's looking suitably mysterious and somewhat menacing!

So... a couple questions:

1) is the mottled appearance part of the design or is it an artifact of your printer's coverage?

2) Did you print it out on US Letter sized paper, and if so did you find have an issue with margins since it's (presumably) designed for A4 size sheets?

The reason I ask is because I have the USS Baltimore by Heinkel but I just realized that it's designed for A4. I've not printed anything yet so I don't know if I'll have margin problems on the top and bottom of the page. I don't know how US Letter friendly Heinkel's designs are.

TIA

I use a sealant on mine too.  Sometimes before assembly and sometimes after assembly.  It helps smooth out variations from printing.

48 minutes ago, Jsk said:

the mottled appearance part of the design or is it an artifact of your printer's coverage?

2) Did you print it out on US Letter sized paper, and if so did you find have an issue with margins since it's (presumably) designed for A4 size sheets?

The mottled effect was the result of the printer ink not holding up under curling and folding. Right after printing the colors were excellent. (A photo of a newly printed page is below ) I now know that I should have sprayed the printouts with something. If someone can recommend a good sealant I would be thankful.  I think the mottled look gives the Nautilus an aged look so I am not too unhappy with it.  
the model was designed for US letter size paper so that is what I used 

IMG_6327.jpeg

IMG_6328.jpeg

I use the Folk Art brand clear coat.

IMG_8513.thumb.jpeg.76a6f837431415a0948d2d5e65424053.jpeg