Gunboat Philadelphia 1776 by tmj

Posted (edited)

A new load of Amazon 'Birchwood' toothpicks just arrived. I haven't made any trunnels yet, but red flags are already being thrown! These things are 'also' made in China (why don't the Amazon adds selling this stuff disclose that, the actual packaging, etc.?). Upon close examination of the toothpicks, it 'does' appear as though the texture of the wood is a bit different, however. That could be due to toolmarks and manufacturing procedures. The only way to find out if they are truly 'Birch' is to make a trunnel and examine the finished end grain results after all is said and done. I'm willing to accept bets on the end results of this next test... just keep it quiet and don't let the moderators see us gambling. There's probably some silly forum rule against members gambling here! 😕

23Aug2024moreAmazontoothpicks1.thumb.jpg.6fdb3d34b74be7697d750e2531c95656.jpg

23Aug2024moreAmazontoothpicks2.thumb.jpg.ff0aa69a3f452f1f8969a8dca32f06ac.jpg        

Edited by tmj

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

Posted (edited)

Toothpicks are good. 'Not' Bamboo! 🙂 I'm off to the races now! The Birchwood isn't as light in color as I was hoping it would be. That's okay. I can live with this so "here goes!"

24Aug20241.thumb.jpg.768f877d43b7aaa9cdc7ceff32f65f40.jpg24August20242.thumb.jpg.0117a13a49933e8eae577d08b88b0c89.jpg

24August20243.thumb.jpg.10f2354ddb14184dcc41527d3eb0338f.jpg

24August20244.thumb.jpg.1e3cecd1aecc1dad8f8140bce4ff6635.jpg

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Tom, looks like you 'nailed' it. :)

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

... and here's the bottom view.

24August20245.thumb.jpg.596432cc928054afc1e49f1b6019b896.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Very nice, Tom. 

Just catching up with your log after being out of town.  That steel template is fantastic!  Really great idea!  This is looking very good, thanks for sharing your tips and techniques.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Very nice, Tom. 

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

This is looking very good, thanks for sharing your tips and techniques

5 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

You and Mr. Ribbit have a great job. Carry on!!

Thanks guys. It's a slow go, but I'm getting there as fast as I can. I now have about 50% of the bottom holes drilled and ready for receiving additional trunnels, however. I only have enough trunnel material made up to fill about another 1/8 of the holes I've just drilled. I now need more trunnels. Seeing how Mr. Ribbit watched me make the first load of trunnels, while he was a bit hung over, hopefully he won't mind helping out this time around knowing that I'm not asking him to do anything that I, myself, aren't willing to do. We'll see. "Ribbitttttttt... where are you?" "There's something that we need to do!"      

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

" Ah ha, there you are!" "Let's get this done!"

25Aug2024RibbitPeeking.thumb.jpg.cdbbae7dc106da83cff5c66a62e07930.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

I posted this elsewhere, and I'm posting it here too. More exposure and hopefully more responses as well.

After all is finally said and done, I don't want my gunboat to appear as an abandoned 'Ghost-Ship'. I'd like to have two or three scale figures aboard my gunboat to give my build a more lifelike appearance. Problem is, I cannot find any 1:24 scale figures for sale that would be period correct for a Continental Gunboat built in 1776. Plenty of British pieces found, but not American. I'll need to try and make my own. Fingers are crossed as to the outcome. 

I've purchased some polymer clay and wire. The only thing missing is a few period correct drawings, images, etc. of some 'Ordinary Seaman' types of crew members. 1776 Continental Officers and their uniforms are easy to find. I don't need officers. I need to know what the lower ranking Continental sailors dressed like in 1776. 

If anyone has any images or links to share, I'd be grateful!

Clayandwire.thumb.jpg.3c4b6bc890f3c3b8bedec4a85b83352d.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

You might try this guy. I bought my figures from Shapeways but they are his work. Shapeways didn't print anything themselves, they sold other peoples work via their site. Unfortunately Shapeways went bankrupt the first part of July. 

https://www.facebook.com/HOLDEN8702/

The lad in the back (our) right looks the part. 

image.png.16e0fbe782f3833236eb4a63845c1e0d.png

Thanks Keith. I already have that one. If only the Lt. would get his left arm and hat out of the way so I could see more of the seaman! 🤨

This is the kind of stuff that I keep running in to. The officers are always shown well... but the ordinary seamen 'not so much'.

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

How hard could this 'sculping-thing' actually be with a good picture, some wire, and a bit of clay? "Hmm." "Hold on to my beer, Bubba, and 'WATCH THIS'!" :unsure: 

With the help of this video, I might be able to make some decent wire armatures. It's the clay 'sculpting' part that has me worried. What the heck. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!" I have a long way to go on this build, so I have time to tinker with this sculping thing along the way...  

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

3 hours ago, tmj said:

If only the Lt. would get his left arm and hat out of the way so I could see more of the seaman!

Tom, put a mirror on edge blocking the left side, allowing the right side to be reflected, voila!  :)  

Meet Captain Benjamin Rue. Pardon his wiry appearance. He was conducting important military business, at the pub, into the wee hours of the morning. As he slowly 'gets himself together', he will be popping in, on occasion, to check on the progress of this gondola build while also seeking worthy crewmen to man the vessel once completed.

CptBenjaminRue.thumb.jpg.c3f4dea45916331b9dcc2fb4045bdcea.jpg    

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

On 8/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, Keith Black said:

Tom, put a mirror on edge blocking the left side, allowing the right side to be reflected, voila!

Is he wearing stockings, or bare legged? What do his shoes look like? There 'ARE' some important details missing that a mirror will never show...

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Base layer has been applied to the wire armature. Captain Rue now needs to cure over night before I can start bulking up the base layer and start adding shape. I don't know how tall Captain Rue was in real life, but his clay counterpart will represent a 6' tall man at 1:24 scale. Now it's back to the ol' trunnels. 🫤

CaptRue2.thumb.jpg.79fc390340d83a2831b2c60535c048ea.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Added some more clay. Back to trunnels again...

CaptRue3.thumb.jpg.3d55ef15846e198ac3f187970afe05cb.jpg

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

Tom, I finally came across a good image of a US Continental Navy seaman's uniform.

image.thumb.png.22b44172fa11b11ca9bc5ded359f5e22.png

1975 US stamp. 

Edited by Keith Black