1 The Beginning 

I join a group of recent builders of this model kit with enthusiasm.   Not as to the model and building of it but to the story that it represents.  I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to move to Canada in 2009-2012 and fell into reading Pierre Berton, a prolific writer and former TV guy. Reading all about the Klondike and then his book   Arctic Grail sent me on a long adventure.    

My current library of Arctic oriented past, present, and future reading has grown extensively. I think to try to hit a few high points of those books and stories may take us too far adrift.   This log is to be about HMS Terror, why I am building it and ultimately, with some pictures, how will it come out.   So, to keep it brief….

Why the build?

•    After 15 years of on and off again study, reading well over 40 related books, I have decided to take a trip north later this summer and pass through the Northwest passage.  I will include a summary of that trip after it happens in August to September.
•    Adventure Canada gave me an Essential Reading list that I have devoured, and hopefully one well known historian will join us on the cruise.
•    On a recent, May 2024, three-week road trip across the Canadian prairie to the Glacier Park and back home through Dakota Buffalo county, I read MSW logs each night of everyone who has listed the HMS Terror or HMS Erebus.  It took that many nights as the logs are incredible.  I learned something from every one of them and that is the value MSW.  
•    Several of the more complete logs, by great builders, referred to the recent book on HMS Terror by the Museum Curator Mathew Betts.   Combined with his log of partially built HMS Erebus, it’s great reading for both modelers and those with interest in the Antarctic and Arctic sailing.
•    The Idea that HMS Terror as a new vessel bombed Baltimore in 1815, sailed three complete circuits of the Antarctic and then went off to the Northwest passage is embellished, as Betts explains she was technologically the best of the best at each stage.
•    The Stephen King style book, HMS Terror   by Dan Simmons is great summer reading.  It was made into a mini-series but alas one must subscribe to another TV channel to watch more than the first episode.  I recommend the first episode, which is free on Amazon Prime.  The studio recreated a life size set of both on deck and below, with Matthew Betts advising them.  It was great to watch.
•    Michael Palen’s book HMS Erebus is also a fascinating read on the “bomb vessel” or bark’s history up to her disappearance.
•    In recent years, Canada Parks and others have found both vessels where they sank near the King William Island.  There are many books written of those findings and as one might say, the beat goes on.

How to build

•    Over the past 10 years I have focused my study and building to the local mid-coast of Maine shipbuilding in our Boothbay Region.  There are more than enough examples to build. There were 14 barks or ships to choose from in our little town.  A fully rigged bark is on my list to try soon.  That effort will involve more upfront investigation to get, or I should say adapt useable plans, as the records here are wanting to say the least. 
•    I could have taken the HMS Terror plans that are available in the Mathew Bett's book and done CAD bulkhead thing and moved on step by step.  I chose to take advantage of all the work done by others.  I found the kit as an open box on eBay with a little discount. I was not concerned about any missing parts.   I also have had fun buying other stuff that I will share as I get to them, the wheel, the small boats, possible walnut to replace hull planking etc.   
•    My version will not likely come up anywhere near the great work by others already having gone down this path.  I shall leverage their lessons learned and point out when I don’t follow their wisdom and get my oops.
•    I record my current thoughts at the beginning of the build, and we shall see how they evolve.   I think I will leave wood more in a natural way than to simply paint it black.   I am debating between diorama of ice bound or more complete pedestal display as others have done.  If I use the sails in the kit, it is more likely to be as patterns for silk span replacement.   If a diorama I ask should they be furled or stored below.
•    I have no idea where I will go with ships boats.  The records say there were 12….wow one image shows one swinging from the yardarm while icebound.

So not knowing really where this project may end it is time to get started.   I am now actively doing two builds at a time.  My idea is to have two different types of builds going so I can go back and forth.   I also plan to take on the challenge to build more small ships boats and the like, something I really need to develop especially if I want to do a diorama. 

Start to build

I just want to mention that for some of us Yanks, a 1:75 scale model causes a few inconveniences.  If I were to scratch build, I would likely go with 1:64 or 1:48 to allow side by side comparison with say my diorama of Bowdoin.   I also cannot seem to find 1:75 figures yet… I am still looking. First up was to take all parts out of the box and assemble the deck.   I followed advice from others and took first the drawings that I thought were correct for the deck.  After more review the Matthew Bett's book, I scanned the deck drawing from his book, which shows the deck furniture layout and more importantly the “lights” that need to be drilled based on his research.   I took the little provided rivets and filled them with clear silicon to simulate the glass.  I am amazed that one builder added lights to shine up through.   That is well over my pay grade.

So as I close this introduction I have the deck done and the first layer of planking in place.  I am mid-way through the second planking and will share that soon. 

• 01.  TER-0101EEE_2126.jpg.2847c74aa82c051582fc690916c5a741.jpg The first picture shows the deck planked and the plan scaled from the British museum.  My source was another log.

• 02  TER-0102EEE_2127.jpg.a07552eead15589344cb4cecb8da4258.jpg the second view shows the gray copy of the scaled scan from the Mathew Betts book.  

• 03.  TER-01-03EEE_2189.jpg.dc117384812265fc773b71d87c6a34ee.jpg here we see the two plans laid off to the side of the completed deck

• 04-05    TER-01-04EEE_2175.jpg.6644b0f1f9e83e42fca541e81587f5b6.jpgTER-01-05EEE_2176.jpg.d674784302715d67f08fb3137dbe2a51.jpg 
  • here are two views of the underlay planking in place.  I also have some filling and more sanding to do.  The keel and stem are loosely dry fit. I note that the kit recommends they get installed after.  I do not know how pinning the light planking will go, so I started the outer planking without them in place. 

All for now

• The title was changed to HMS Terror by Jond - OcCre - 1:75