Essex - Process and corrections to the new Model Expo Kit

samueljr

thanks...I reset the BHs and did the stern frames.  called ME yesterday to ask what might happen to my kit, which came in May.  Haven't had a return call.  I'd like to continue, but am hesitant.  They had earlier just referred me to MSW.

I did the Halifax a few years ago from the Lumber Yard.  Enjoyed it.  I saw u recommended the Oneida.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry,

We're in the process of re-working some of the parts for ESSEX. The process is not quick by any measure. This includes coordination with the manual and plans.

Hold on for a little bit and the new parts will be available very early in the new year.

In the mean time if you have any questions you can contact me directly here on MSW.

Sam

Designer, ESSEX kit

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Terry,

We're in the process of re-working some of the parts for ESSEX. The process is not quick by any measure. This includes coordination with the manual and plans.

Hold on for a little bit and the new parts will be available very early in the new year.

In the mean time if you have any questions you can contact me directly here on MSW.

Sam

Designer, ESSEX kit

Sam,

Good to hear you are hard at work on the corrections. Personally I am going to wait for the fixes... And the masting and rigging supplemental kit. I assume that is still in the works too. I have quite a bit on my plate right now, so I can wait.

Bill M.

The bulkheads and former are made out of some mystery SA wood that is very tough. I had to use a hammer to seat my bulkheads.when I was working with Sam. The slots are also too small for the thickness of the Bulkheads. The tabs were also miserable to saw through .  Quality control does not seem to be a priority at MS on launching their new kits. :( They are wonderful at replacing parts but they would save lots of money and their customers lots of frustration if they just did it right the first time. I agree wholeheartedly with Bob and Sam. Wait for the fix. I know Sam will get things sorted as soon as possible and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Edited by Jaxboat

Terry

Sorry for the delay in repsonding ( I have to go to a paying job once in a while) my answer to your question(s) are stop right where you're at or go forward and I'm certain you'll work through it as others have. 

Sam

Terry,

Sorry I didn't finish my post exactly..........

I've not finished going through the entire kit yet so if you get past the intial bulkhead issues you may be Ok - I dont know yet.

Although there are a few builders moving further along on ESSEX. Their opinions of what is right or wrong are subjective and soley their's as not everyone likes how any one kit is designed/presented. Becuase they dont like something dosen't necessarily make it incorrect. I've been contacted by a couple of builders that have noted what they believed was an issue and it turns out they either measured or marked wrong, misinterpreted the directions (or didn't read them at all) or just didn't like something and didn't want to hear any different............

The kit will be corrected - only you can decide what you want to do. 

Feel free to PM me at any time or contact me out here.

Sam

Hi Every One

Thought I'd update you on the correction process

After talking with Eric at Expo a while back it was decided that not only would I address any individual bulk head issues (which have been identified) that I would also widen the slots on all the bulk heads. This will / should account for the heavier stock which is now being used. I'll also be drawing a second former that will present the drop down decks already cut-out. I'll also be reducing the tab sizes for easier release.

Subsequently I find myself  re-drawing ALL the bulkheads and the new stuff. This has to be incorrorated into the plans (not a lot of room left on the sheets) and the manual. Also some other initial parts that are dependant related to the bulk head assembly.

Suffice it to say this is beyond the simple re-work and is taking a bit longer.

On a positive note I have almost completed going through the laser cut parts and have not found  any issues of note against those parts that were used on the proto-type/ I'll have to finish matching drawings and manual but hopefully (God willing) the issues were contained to the bulk head assemblies and some minor misprints on the plans.  The manual will follow along.

A "friendly" reminder - remember that dislike of design or process, parts, plans or componants is not an erorr - just a personal opinion and this isn't an open design.

I expect some test parts back from Expo in a couple of weeks. I'll update at that time. 

To those who have been assisting me off forum - we'll talk very soon.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Well the new bulk head assembly finally arrived this morning.

As I've said it's a total re-work of the build. 

Here's what I can say right now;

Allowing for the heavier thickness of the plywood the slots on the bulkheads were increased

The tabs on all pieces were reduced and in most cases limited to one per piece

Additional vertical arm width was added to the first and last few bulk heads (#'s 1,2,3 & 20,21,22) to facilitate better/easier beveling

The vertical arms of the Quarter Deck bulk heads was extended to better allow for the loss of material from the laser cut

I'll assemble the set this week and check for fairness of frames and line

Report back soon

Sam

Sam,

This is great news! I trust that these new bulkheads will be available from ME if they check out? Will the masting and rigging kit be next? There are a lot of us who appreciate what you and Model Expo have been doing to work out these bugs. Thanks!

Bill M.

Bill

Yes they will be available from Expo. I dont know what process or method they will be using to distribute the corrections. I do know that they are holding off on shipping any new orders until the process plays out. In speaking with Marc we're shooting for no later than April (God willing) to have everything re-worked.

From there then the rigging kit. I don't know if the rig will be through Expo and or released from me (or maybe Syren)?..............

ESSEX has become to me akin to one of the "Labors of Hercules" from ancient mythology - As punishment from the Gods Hercules would push a huge boulder up a mountain and just as he reached the summit the boulder would slip and roll down hill and he'd have to start all over again.................LOL!

Sam

Sam

Glad to hear of the progress Sam!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Correction update............

I've assembled the redrawn set of bulk heads (including the former, rabbit strip, stem, keel and stern post)

A couple of "things"

The increase in slot width allowed the bulk heads to be inserted much easier

I was able to release all the parts listed above and the 22 bulk heads from their sheets (bass or plywood) with nothing more than an x-acto knife and a #11 blade. There was no damage of any part.

The assembly is drying up

I will start tomorrow to cross reference dimensions against the proto-type. Once satisfied with those then I'll lay up battens to assess fairness of the bulk heads.  When doing that I'll also bevel the stern and bow as required and install bow blocks

That should take me through the end of the week or so.

Just an FYI - The plywood used remains at a heavier weight/thickness than the 3/16" used on the proto-type and represented in the drawings. The plywood supplied in the kit moving forward is at the discretion of Expo. The amendments I am making through the kit are a one time only exercise.

Sam

• 1 month later...
Guest Tim I.

I was thinking about placing an order for the Essex in the next week or so. Have the issues encountered been resolved in the kits up for sale on Model Expo?

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
I have been in contact with Marc at ME this week and will be sending down for production a final (hopefully) set of the bulkhead assembly. 

Once these are produced and tested (again) that should be it. I'll drop them into the drawings, and amend the manual as need be. By that time I would have completed a final look over of the remaining laser parts as well.

My final submission to ME will be of a full set of laser parts. That way there shouldn't be any "cross contamination" of original and corrected files. It's up to ME to keep them straight in production. As I've said before the proto-type went together fine.

Based on ME assertions that they will be upgrading their ply I will maintain dimensions of the proto-type's 3/16" stock. I can't  "chase" any future or possible stock discrepancies in dimension. That's a production issue - not design.

I have encouraged ME to maintain as high a possible standard in production of the castings and kit components moving forward. Although as with any designer I have no control over such matters.

I have discussed with ME a masting & rigging plan for the kit.  It's future release is questionable. In the interim there is more than enough source material for a builder to rig ESSEX on their own. 

As always I'm happy to help however I can but for now I am looking forward to my own builds, and to possibly designing future kits. Be it for ME or others.  

I'll keep you posted

Sam

Sam,

Good to hear from you on this and thank you for all the work you have done on the Essex. Do you know if ME will provide the new corrected parts for those of us who have bought the Essex kit?

I'm sorry to read that ME does not seem inclined to offer the supplemental masting and rigging kit. Yes, I feel quite capable of doing it myself-- it just would have been nice to have the kit. Maybe you could offer the fully rigged plans and a suggested list of fittings from ME and/or Syren?... Or maybe a masting and rigging kit through Syren?-- if ME doesn't want to do it.

Anyway, thanks again for all your efforts on this kit. I still look forward to building my kit (and masting and rigging it). I know it will turn out to be a splendid representation of the frigate Essex.

Bill M.

Edited by kb466

Bill,

Although not "authorized" to speak on ME's behalf I'm comfortable in saying that they would honor requests for replacement parts.

The method of requesting/receiving or distribution of them is totally unknown to me.

Decisions on masting & rigging are down the road a bit.

After seeing the work Bob is doing and having developed the proto-type I've always known that the kit was capable of producing an attractive model. It's not an "easy" build and I've said that throughout but this has been something totally different.

The problems have at times been any and all of frustrating, embarrassing, maddening and confusing (to name a few).

I pray this is the end of it.

Sam

Sam,

I sense your frustration in all this and I feel for you. That being said, I still think this is a great kit of a great ship. As is, and as Bob is handsomely demonstrating, it will build into a spectacular model. And like Bob is doing, I intend to make some modifications to the kit anyway. I'll be happy whether I get the modified parts from ME or not. I'll make it all work regardless. Same with the masting and rigging, I'll rig and mast it if I get a masting or rigging kit or not. I hope you're proud of this kit-- you should be. I still think it is a well thought out and well designed kit, and will build into a splendid model.

Bill M.