Crochet Hooks

I know I am a beginner, but I have done a lot of arts and crafts in my lifetime.  I am still working on my first ship, which has thin thread for the rigging, etc.  Someone may have already come up with this idea, but I thought I would share it.  I don't know if this will help any of you or not, but I discovered that a small metal crochet hook helps me grab the thread for knots or when I am trying to get it into small holes.  Anyway, they would work great for grabbing any type of thread or rope when you can't seem to get a hold of it or get it to go in the direction you want it to, and there are several different sizes of hooks.

If you look at rigging tools sold at Micromark.com or modelexpo.com, they may be similar. I've heard of some who have modified sewing needles as well to create various hooks and grabbers by glueing the point into a small wood dowel to act as a handle and trimming the thread slot at the other end in various ways.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I found one of the most  useful "tools" for rigging is  a needle threader . I bought about 4 at my local haberdashery and found them invaluable for threading lines through 2mm blocks. I made one longer by soft soldering the thin wire to an extension so I could reach hard to get at blocks. I made something similar to a crochet hook using a thin wire with a small hook at the end, the other end epoxied into a small piece of dowel.

Pierre

Just Started: Golden Hind scratch build

Previous - Scratch Built :Mayflower  HMS Myrmidon 

Kit: HMB Endeavour

+/- 20 RC Boats:Tugs,Yachts, Skimmers 

4 Miniature Freestyle Sailing Boats

I am one of those that has modified needles to do my rigging. This way, I make the exact tool I feel I need to do certain(s) job(s).

I then red-heat the rear part needle and insert it in a plastic brush handle.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I use them all the time.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I have a couple of these handy little hooks, I think they came out of an old knitting machine.

About two inches long, they have a tiny pivoting finger that closes the hook when you pull it towards you and opens up when pushed in among the ropes.

Will definitely try crochet hooks, great idea.

Per

post-180-0-72771000-1381259536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Per

I found one of the most  useful "tools" for rigging is  a needle threader . I bought about 4 at my local haberdashery and found them invaluable for threading lines through 2mm blocks. I made one longer by soft soldering the thin wire to an extension so I could reach hard to get at blocks. I made something similar to a crochet hook using a thin wire with a small hook at the end, the other end epoxied into a small piece of dowel.

Pierre

There are several very useful types of Needle Threader available commercially from good sewing supply stores. The Long Wire ones are very handy when doing work around the bottom of a mast when all the Standing Rigging has been completed and getting in the way :

Needle Threaders 002.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Another useful rigging tool I have been using for years, are those plastic things they use to pull dental floss through braces.

They are more resistant than they look. You get them at Walmart or similar for pennies and last forever.

The beauty of these is their very long and flexible stem, that allows you to use them in very tight places or to go around things.

post-975-0-62106100-1381270165_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-23720600-1381270174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hey Kimberly, welcome aboard~!

I also use crochet hooks, in various sizes plus the hinged type on occassion.  I pick these up at tag sales (garage sales, yard sales) for almost no cost.  Sometimes I find good thread, even linen~!  Retailers and mail order firms sell various tools for rigging, plus you can make your own to suit your needs.  I like making my own as that keeps the cost down. 

This is a great forum, so share more of your ideas; others here share theirs, so we all learn.

For snipping lines, I have found a pair of scissors by Friskers (in Walmart) to be the best.  These have straight pointed blades about 2" long and cost about $11.  The best. 

What ship are you building? 

My current ship is Le Soliel Royal by Heller.  Others on the bench inlude D'Hlalve Main, Bluenose, Sir Edward Hawke and a peapod, all scratch builds. 

Persevere and enjoy. 

Duff

Hi Duff.

I am building the Revell U.S.S. Constitution 1:196 scale.  Believe it or not, that is what the guy at the hobby store told me would be a good starter ship.  I think maybe I should have started with something a little easier.  I am down to putting the sails on.  I am doing the simple version for the rigging and sails.  I have so much to learn about the proper terms for things on a ship.  I gave up on trying to paint it, and decided just to focus on trying to put it together.  I have really winged it on many things, because I of course had no idea of the proper techniques or the tools I needed.  I am just doing simple knots for the rigging and the sails and then sticking a dab of glue on them.  Now that I have you guys, my next ship will be hopefully be done correctly, or at least better.

Since I have done so many arts and crafts, I already have some of the things I need, and I have been slowly buying the stuff on the basic tools list.  I do have a great pair of 2" blade EK Success scissors that are working well for snipping.  I also am using a pair of barber scissors as my longer pair of scissors, since they are very sharp and thin.  They work much better than my usual arts and crafts scissors.  I would appreciate all the tips you can give me.

Sounds like you are doing some amazing ships.  I can't even imagine doing a scratch build.  Do you have some ships in the gallery.  I will also go look at your log thing.  I still need to figure out how to set that up for my next ship.  This forum setup is new to me.  My husband is on one, so he is going to help me learn how to use it.  I am used to facebook groups.

Kimberley

Kimberley: This is the second time I see you referring to the scale of you kit as 1:196. I think you mean 1:96, right? Not that it matters, but I'm beginning to think that you are building a different kit than what I thought.  :D  :D  :D

:722972270:

HI Kimberly, this forum has tonnes of tips, plus your local hobby store should have booklets on how to build better ships.  You can also check Amazon, Ebay and Abe's books for reasonably priced books. 

My current build, Le Soliel Royal, is by Heller, a plastic kit but I have done much research to make it more accurate and to add (scratch build) missing items.  I also made my own sails out of paper and sprayed them with Tamyia paint.  Once this build is done, perhaps by the end of this month, I plan to post pix in this forum. 

For other work, Ships in Scale has a couple of pix in older issues (back to 2008 I think).  If you have access to older issues, i will advise which ones.

You seem to have an artist's eye.  Ships require that and perseverence.  If an item has a certain color, paint it before installing it.  Don't use CA glue on the rigging, instead, use diluted Elmers Glue All or Weldbond.  Dab it with a micro brush.  Look as pictures of ships to see what coloring they have, how they weather, the stains on the sails, on the bulwarks.  Above all, keep at it.  We all started with simple sticks, paper, then kits and we only got better at it with practice.  If you have the passion, you can achieve your goals.

Keep us posted on your progress, we applaud all efforts.

Duff aka Duffer

Ulises it says 1:196 Scale on the bottom of the Revell box.  I finished my ship.  I got all the sails on it.  What is CA glue?  Is that the glue I am using to glue the plastic pieces together?  That is what I used on this rigging.  I will use the stuff you suggested next time Duff.  Get ready to laugh at what my next ship is going to be...lol  I am going to start a build log for it.

Hello Kimberley. Hmmmm that's strange. OK. How long the ship is? If it's around 3 feet long, then it's the 1/96 scale.

CA glue is CyanoAcrylate glue, also known as super glue, crazy glue or some other names. I very seldom use it in my ship building, plastic or wood, although it has its uses.

My guess, and hope,  is that you are using specific glue for styrene plastic. This glue works by melting and welding the two pieces together. Because of this it has to be used very sparingly or it may ruin your model. Put a drop in a scrap piece of plastic and see if it "melts" or dissolves the plastic. Then you know you're using the right glue.

To fix your rigging knots, I would suggest you use either diluted white glue or FLAT clear lacquer. NEVER use CA to fix your knots. It will run through your rigging make it brittle and prone to break, besides, it will make your lines stiff and with some unwanted curves or angles.

Glue or lacquer will fix the knot without leaving a shiny spot.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I definitely love the needle thread tip.  Ulises I am using ship modeling glue.  It was recommended by the guy at the hobby store.  It has a great long narrow tube on it, so it makes it easy to control the paint, and to get into tight places.  Oh no, my ship is not 3' long.  It is around 15 inches long.  If you do a search online, you can find it and see what it looks like and the size of it.  It is a skill level 3.  My next ship is a skill level 2.  I really want to learn the proper techniques, skills, and tools before I start a really difficult and expensive ship. 

Ulises I am using ship modeling glue.  It was recommended by the guy at the hobby store.  It has a great long narrow tube on it, so it makes it easy to control the paint, and to get into tight places.  Oh no, my ship is not 3' long.  It is around 15 inches long.  

Then it looks like it's actually a entry level kit. Keep on it Kimberley, and I think we would like to see some photos. As avsjerome here said, watch out with CA. In case of your fingers gluing together, DO NOT ttry to pry them apart, or it may hurt you. Use acetone, and slowly work the glue off. Acetone dissolves CA completely. 

Ulises I am not sure where to post pictures of the ship I just completed.  I don't think it is good enough for the completed gallery.  Personally, I think it looks good, but it is not as nice as the gallery ones.

Hello Kimberley,

We are our own worst critic, we never think it is good enough.

But all finished ships are welcome in the gallery.

So please go ahead and upload your pictures.

I for one will be looking forward to seeing your completed ship there.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

But I am pretty proud with how it turned out.

Say no more!!! 

I didn't paint it, so I don't know if that is considered a completed ship.

Kimberley, the majority of (wooden) ships on this site either have very little paint or none at all. It depends on what effect the builder wanted.

The model is considered "completed" when YOU say it is :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi