Armed Virginia Sloop by aliluke - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:48

I have one more question.

I believe that you had a method of tying/creating the coils of line that are attached to various cleats,  timberheads, etc.

Would it be possible to remember how that was done?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi

Thanks for the further feedback.

Ken - I wrapped the ropes tightly around spaced steel pins and the painted with diluted white glue. Tied them off with a couple of coils perpendicular to the main coil and then draped and shaped them around the belay point. See attached image.

Kyjack - Thanks. It was my first build too except for a strange attempt at a Dutch Whaler by Sergal many years ago. There are many other AVS builders here. I am sure they, like I, will help if you have any questions. It builds into a beautiful model and the scale is relatively easy to handle. Good luck and, most importantly, enjoy it. I look forward to seeing your build log!

Cheers

Alistair

post-259-0-21132600-1367833562_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks.  You should write a book.

I can't wait to try this method; it sounds better than Bob Hunt's method.

Thanks again.

BTY:  What model are you working on now?

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 4 months later...

I'm tossing up between this, and the Cutter Mermaid by modellers Shipyard as my 1st model.

Edited by Pygothian

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Hi Pygothian

I can definitely recommend the AVS as a first kit. It has all the parts of a more demanding build but in less abundance. It also builds into a great looking model. It is very well supplemented by Bob Hunt's practicum (his best in my opinion) but, if you don't want that, you'll also get good advice here from its many builders - including me. If you commit, start a log and ask questions. I don't know about the Mermaid at all so can't compare. Have a look at Ryland's AVS, Barehook's, Jim L's and others - she is a sweaty. She sits on my sideboard in our dining room and I still take pleasure in admiring her lines.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Pygothian

I can definitely recommend the AVS as a first kit. It has all the parts of a more demanding build but in less abundance. It also builds into a great looking model. It is very well supplemented by Bob Hunt's practicum (his best in my opinion) but, if you don't want that, you'll also get good advice here from its many builders - including me. If you commit, start a log and ask questions. I don't know about the Mermaid at all so can't compare. Have a look at Ryland's AVS, Barehook's, Jim L's and others - she is a sweaty. She sits on my sideboard in our dining room and I still take pleasure in admiring her lines.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for the tip. I've checked out the 1st chapter of the Bob Hunt Practicum, plus yours and the other recommended AVS logs, and I'm thinking the wealth of knowledge will definitely get me through.

Unfortunately the Practicum is quite expensive, but I think i need all the help I can get for my 1st build.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Cheers

Rowan

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Rowan,

Check out this site/practicum, I didn't use the bob hunt.

http://www.modelboatyard.com/avs_articles.html

Ken

Wow, thank you!

They look fantastic. I'm going to order my 1st ship now. I'm confident with all these resources. Just need to find the time with 2 toddlers!

Thanks for your help Ken

Rowan

I've got a lot of build documentation that can be sent to you as well. This site has been a great resource.

Ken

I'd really appreciate that Ken. I've never been on a forum with so many friendly people and brilliant resources.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Wow!

I just bought this on the Halloween sale at model expo.

Now I'm considering if I should do this one before the Syren, as it may be more basic. What would you suggest ?

Hi Pygothian

It is not basic at all, quite difficult in some respects but it must be easier than the Syren. The Syren looks like a great kit but I know the AVS is too. If you can get through the AVS you are ready for most things. Many builders here began with the AVS and are now masters - Greg Barlow a great example amongst many others. I'm well short of that class but would certainly prefer the AVS as a starter to the Syren. It is up to you...the AVS covers all the skills - cannons, cannon rigging, ladders, gratings, masts, yards, ratlines, rigging ...but in much less profusion than a Syren. You are much more likely to finish it and finish it sooner. That is always refreshing. Plus it is a great looking ship on completion. I've gone from the AVS to the Fly and find Fly much more difficult (I've also become more fussy). When I look at the Syren instructions it is as difficult as Fly if not more so.

Best bet is tackle something you can finish. As many modellers here will say - there are 10 times as many models bought than a single model finished. Getting one under the belt is a good feeling and gives you the confidence to overcome the difficulties and frustrations of a harder model. The AVS is my champion and it still looks damn fine on the shelf. The AVS also has the same model characteristics of Syren which is completely different from the European models. So, again a good learner.

Mate - up to you. The AVS is a sweety and plenty of support here but massive support for the Syren too. If the AVS is already under your bench, I'd start there otherwise, next time, you'll feel like you are going backwards.

My ten cents worth,

Alistair

P.S. If you go with the AVS:

- upgrade the rope to Chuck's or Morope (I'd go for Chuck's but he wasn't doing rope when I did the AVS)

- upgrade the blocks - Chuck's

- upgrade the decking - anything - I found mine in a local hobby shop....but Jeff Hayes is a great source too.

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Thank you so much for your advice. I've already ordered a full set of rigging and blocks from Chuck for the Syren. Brian C has put me onto Jeff to mill me some Swiss pear and holly planks.

It makes total sense starting smaller, and since I got the AVS plus paint for $80 is a bargain.

I'm learning towards getting the one under my belt as you say, so I think when the AVS arrives, she will be the one I learn my new skills on.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Rowan

Edited by Pygothian

$80!!!! That is incredibly cheap. The MS paints might not be so good...I used Admiralty Paints, Floquil and Testors. $80!!! I'm spitting. Good deal Rowan - I just might make another AVS! Even if the paint is dodgy that is still an amazing bargain.

Look forward to your log and there are plenty of AVS veterans here to help - me included.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thats why I couldn't resist.  It was always on back order for 15-30 days prior to me eventually buying the Syren on a special code that got it down to $199.

They then did a halloween deal, and there were 8 in stock, so I ordered it for 79.99 and the paint set for $35, only to discover the deal came with paint free too, so they refunded my extra paint charge.

Now it says its over 300 when I check the site with no discount.  Prices seem to move around so quickly.

Cheers

Thanks Gerty, Rowan has dragged my log back from the sludge of former things. I must say your Willie L. Bennett looks very fine, so a good link arises from Rowan's dredging!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

• 10 months later...

Hi

Brian asked me to send him a photo of the finished stern of my AVS. I was never very happy with this aspect of the model and we had a little saga with P.M's about it. Oh well, here is my stern...if it helps Brian or others to do a better job of it I'd be happy!

post-259-0-30090400-1412499885_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Alistair

Brian's build lead me here. I love following build links it builders signatures.

BTW, I think your stern looks fine. The window symmetry is quite excellent.

If this was your 1st, I must say your rope work is gorgeous and very realistic. That deck fixtures, especially that hatchway, are magnificently done. For a 1st you did a Great job. It appears a veteran did her.

The positive force I experience and feel in your helping Brian and others is inspiring. It takes that to make MSW the community we are.

I just wanted to say hello and say what a beautiful AVS you have built. It's sad the originals were lost, but pictures and your hand draw tutorials are great resources.

I guess now, I'm on to the Fly.

Thanks Keith for your kind words. Funny to see my AVS log bubble up to the 1st page again.

I hope you enjoy seeing my chemistry experiment on Fly :P.

Cheers

Alistair

• 8 years later...

Glad to have you back on MSW Alistair.  Your AVS was one of the best that I have seen.  Your build log photos will be a help for future builders of this kit.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat