HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Ollie,

The painting certainly shows just a single topmast shroud, but two were more common, so I think the kit manufacturer has just gone with the norm instead of doing a little basic research.

The shrouds don't look too bad for height, but would either have been attached to a mast band or simply spliced over a step in the mast.  Do you think it would be possible to fake a band out of paper around the eyes?  If not - no big deal.

John

Yes I could do that I think John. So like the bands already on mast but not as wide i presume.. I can already envisage that is going to look much better.. :D  Regards Ollie

I see John's point about a band around the mast but heck...your rigging work is superb in every way and such details, while they might add to things, are just gilding the lily.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Okay, band added, I think it looks good, gives a sense of strength.  As narrow as i could without being impossible... Onwards with other little corrections. redoing anchor tackles.. want steel bands around blocks and rigged a bit higher and smaller eyebolts on catheads.. it was my first rigging so it was bound to look shabby as i progressed... Hope your all having a splendid weekend. Ollie..

post-7066-0-38008000-1401503892_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-40013800-1401503911_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-17572600-1401503934_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Amazing work Ollie.  I've been away for a few months, and remember you starting this build.  The level of detail and your ingenuity was extremely impressive.  I see you have continued on your meticulous build. 

I am still finding the time to start my first build, despite still ordering more kits!  

2 toddlers, a puppy great dane, moving house, working full time, and a wife who just had surgery doesn't leave me much time.

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Thanks Tom, Eamm and Brian... Pygothian! Thought we had lost you. i'm glad you havnt lost the passion... Cheers mate....

John, im glad you suggested that ..  Just have to figure out those grommets now.. think i will try splic a tiny eye bolt into top mast shroud..

Ok so i have been working away at bowsprit traveller which is now done.. added iron spectacle.

I have fitted first yard.... do you guys think she is slung at an appropriate height?   

Next onto bowsprit guys and yard lifts, braces and halliards...

Few pics to show you whats happening, really not far to go now!!!

Ollie

post-7066-0-60590300-1401700010_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-01263800-1401700072_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-75179500-1401700084_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-06357000-1401700144_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-03430700-1401700153_thumb.jpg

I've just reread my own comment Ollie..  'Yours is Perfect' .. would appear that English me is not good the moment at ! .. :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh::rolleyes:  

E

Dang!!  Now I've just read it again and it sounds perfect.. Monday Morning's eh ? can't win !

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Sharp as a tack Oliie. This has/is really turning into a wonderful model. Your first and second photos really capture that (not that your other pics don't). Great stuff.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Great thanks as always gang.. :)

With some observation of historical pics, i came up with questions regarding the top yard..

John and myself decided via msg, the top yard was rigged "flying"  Which means no foot-ropes and no lashing to mast. 

So I changed it up and have it rigged.. It was also decided that the Yard braces would pull fore and pull yard away from mast which is ok, but looks funny on a model, so I glued it and  went a step further and put a brass pin through to hold it with some security..  The halliard is on but not reeved up yet....

post-7066-0-86964200-1401786969_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-96634700-1401786991_thumb.jpg

ther has also  been small touches going on at the moment, like the ropes to open and close canon port lids..   A very small cleat was added inside bulwark.. 

post-7066-0-75828800-1401787154_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-52040200-1401787168_thumb.jpg

Looking at the plans for main yard backstays and i see a clash... It appears the stays interfere with culverins.. Surely this is not right..?  Warm regards and thanks again all.. Ollie

post-7066-0-37352000-1401787303_thumb.jpg

this pic might show better what im concerned with, not great lighting...

Also. Notice the board i have the ship on.. I cant believe i dint rig this up sooner.. I can spin her around and pick her up so much easier now..  Over and out,, Ollie

post-7066-0-81790200-1401787359_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys..

John, I hadn't deviated from the kit much back at the rail stage.. I suppose they are not shown anywhere. I wonder how much detail is left off because it's a painting.. Sketch doesn't show these kinds of details either.. Which does make me wonder how the kit designer came up with it.. So the holes are drilled and don't really want to patch them.. pic shows acceptable angle I think without intruding on culverins.. Hmm decisions.. More posts on their way...post-7066-0-43938500-1401961371_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Ok some pictures..  I have finished backstays now the missing part arrived a few days ago and had it prepared....

And of course.......   I did a clean up and the part turned up, i knew that was on the cards!!!!

Any way, top sail halliard fitted also, preparing parts for bowsprit guys... 

post-7066-0-47939300-1401967842_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-78045300-1401967891_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-73277600-1401967918_thumb.jpg

Ollie ... The old paintings are surprisingly accurate except for minor rigging details.  Swivels were usually movable all along the rail so...move em'  And you can leave the mounting holes there with out filling them..."realistic use" type of thing....you could probably add some holes in other reasonable places for that purpose.  She's looking good there Ollie, keep it up!

Tom