Santa Maria by Kimberley - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC - 1:90

Way to go, Kim:

You are doing a terrific job. Keep us posted!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Right now I am holding the back end of my ship together with my hands to get it glued tight together. :P  I can't clamp it tight enough.  No room for clamps.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

WOW!  It is hard to type with one hand. :D    

Heh that's what rubber bands are for silly!

Not that I have ever done that :D

you'll find yourself in some strange situations,  when rubber bands and clothes pins can't suffice.  I've been in a few strange ones,  myself :)       looking very nice.......like your choice of color.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You're doing an outstanding job on your Santa Maria! I really like the colors of paint you've chosen to apply. Very clean build so far!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Kimberly,

Just checking in and saw your latest picture and all I can say is "WOW!"

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Wow!  Thank you everyone for your compliments.  You guys do wonders for my confidence.  I am getting close to the toughest parts...masts, sails, and rigging.  I did try out the elmers glue and water trick for the thread, and it works great.  I did it for the knots on my anchors.  The thread/rope for this ship is thicker than the other ships.  Here is where I am thus far:

post-7263-0-70500700-1383601693_thumb.jpg

I have the side rails up and the anchors done.

post-7263-0-62864500-1383601790_thumb.jpg

Here is my stand.  Do you guys like the way I did this or not?  I wanted it to look aged.

post-7263-0-44631700-1383601896_thumb.jpg

Shot of the front part.

post-7263-0-62022500-1383601925_thumb.jpg

Back end.  I did not get it perfect, but I was dang close to it.

you've done very well.......the hull looks great!   looks like rigging will be in your future soon ;)     nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Kimberley:

On ships of that era, having the bowsprit offset to one side was not uncommon. That looks about right in the photograph.

Russ

Hi Kimbely,

Your model is looking great.

I've just had a quick browse of other models of this ship some have the bowsprit in the centre of the ship some are offset, by the way Revell have moulded the hole in the foredeck for the bowsprit they mean it offset, so as Russ says it looks correct to mount it on the left side of the stem. :) 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Thank you for helping me.  I left the bowsprit on the left.  I should have all the masts up today.  I really could use your help.  Can anyone decipher this picture for me on how they want this rigging done?  I kind of get the part where all the thread is is looped on the masts, and then each one is hooked onto those pegs on those side rails.  I don't understand what they are showing in the large circles that point to the masts.  Also, what is the best way to attach the thread to the hooks/pegs on the side rails?  Thanks.

post-7263-0-01186500-1383659475_thumb.jpg

Kimberly, it almost looks as though they are indicating that there should be a loop up there for the shrouds to pass through. As far the where the shrouds attach to the deadeyes, I don't know. A closeup of the deadeyes would be very helpful though.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

that's what I see as well........a loop tied under the crow's nest and caps,  in which the shrouds are passed through.  are there any tabs or hooks on the dead eyes?   if not,  could you drill a hole,  large enough to pass the thread through?    on your instructions,  I do see something that looks like a tab.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There is nothing that resembles those hook looking things holding the thread.  The thread is thinker and more rope like than regular thread, so it would have to be a big hole to run them through.  One other question.  On the decals that go in water.  How long do I dip in the water to get them off?  Here are pictures for you to see about my rigging.  Please feel free to correct my terms, so I can learn them.

post-7263-0-41697000-1383666336_thumb.jpg

Here are my leftover parts

post-7263-0-19227500-1383666369_thumb.jpg

Here is where it shows you at the top of the mast where the spot is for the rigging, which to me is where the eyelet ? should have gone if there had been any.

post-7263-0-99014600-1383666470_thumb.jpg

Here is where the rigging will be attached to at the bottom.  I am not sure how you do that.  Do I just knot them to each peg and glue the knot in place.  Or do I make a ring out of the rope to hook over

If it's similar to what is on Revell's Constitution then each deadeye should have simulated inboard and outboard lanyards attaching them deadeyes on the chainplates. You would then pass the shroud rope between these lanyards and back up to seize the loose end onto the shroud. I hope I'm making sense here.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Decals... Ok...

First off have you got any microset and microsol? Both of those will go a long way to helping sett decals down on uneven surfaces. The other thing that helps is having a glossy surface on which to apply them. Don't worry, when everything is dry over coat with dullcote to seal them in and hide all the edges.

First off, I use tepid water, not hot or cold. Dipping a decal in for about ten seconds is more than adequate. The the decal sit for another minute or so before you try to slide it off the paper backing. While the decal is sitting, apply a dab of microset to the area you want to apply the decal. Bring the decal (still on the paper at this time) to the area a d gently slide the decal off the paper into position. The decal should almost float in the microset (almost!). With a needle nose tweezer, carefully position the decal into place. You can now dab up any excess microset (along the edges). Gently press the decal to the plastic with a damp paper towel. When dry, apply microsol. The decal will wrinkle... It can be startling to see... But don't touch it!! It will settle down before too long as the microsol dries. When it does, take a very sharp #11 exacto knife blade and look for any bubbles that may be trapped underneath. Gently prick them with the knife and dab on some more microsol. Repeat this process until you are satisfied. Give everything a good 24 hours to dry thoroughly and over coat the decal with dullcote. This will seal and protect it from handling and damage.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Kim,

I have had good luck filling seams by cutting small pieces of sprue and placing them in a small glass jar.  Pour in liquid cement and either add more sprue pieces or more cement until you get a thick paste like consistency.  Place it on the seams as even as you can and finish up by filing and sanding.  Keeping it in a glass jar will preserve the mix and allow use on other models.  

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

If you cannot get the Microset or Microsol, then put a few tablespoon of white vinegar in your water and use distilled water if possible. The chlorine and sulfates in tap water can cause a reaction with the decals surface binder making it hard or causing it to delaminate.  Testor's makes a Decal set solution but the two that Andy suggested work much better and I have used these with tap water. 

I regards to the big red crosses, you may find them, as I found, easier to paint them than fiddle with the decals. In fact I think I used a red marker if I remember, been a long time.  It would be much more realistic and was more fun, since the outlines are molded into the sail it was easy to stay in the lines.  But paint the sails first :D

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

@ Patrick - Sorry I am confused.  I did look up your terms, but I still don't quite understand them, or what you are trying to tell me.  It does not show me at all how they are attaching the rope to the chainplates attached to the ship.  What is a landyard?  Is it something that would have been included in my parts?  My biggest problem right now is the picture I posted above these pictures.  It is showing how all the rope is supposed to go through a loop attached to the top of the mast.  There is nothing in my parts that resembles them.  I don't know if I am supposed to create it with the rope.  I really wish they would give me more close up pictures in the directions.

@ Andy - Where do I get microset or microsol?

@ Mark - Thank you for the tip.  Could you explain what seams you are talking about.

This rigging part is going to be the death of me!  This is the part they should really spend more time on in their directions, and they should show close ups.

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Kim,

Any seam resulting from two pieces of plastic glued together.  In my experience with plastic models there is always a seam of some sort resulting from two halves being brought together.  By using the sprue technique you are using the same material the model is made from to fill and/or smooth out the glued seam.  Once it dries, you file, sand and the seam disappears.  I have been using this technique successfully for years.

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

I am very sad. :(  My shrouds turned out terrible.  The rope/thread for them was horrible.  It would not tighten at all.  It is like a thicker, kind of waxy, hard thread.  Anyway, I did get creative and make them look a little better.  I still have some ends I need to clip in these pictures.

post-7263-0-54867400-1383701088_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-94232300-1383701103_thumb.jpg

post-7263-0-49812200-1383701119_thumb.jpg