Utrecht 1746 by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Dutch Statenjacht

I prefere the Very Old Gouda (the one with salt christals in it :D ) a very old farmer's cheese from around Gouda would be even better ... I cannot imagine sculpy being like that ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I actually wouldn't want to behave it like that: it will crumble ......

I checked my pics with (parts of) the lion. Not overly sharp :(, but I guess you can see enough on it.

(Long time ago we had someone on MSW building a cardboard-version of the Utrecht, and he asked me to get pics of the carving details. I have some more on other parts, if you like)

Jan

IMG_4931.thumb.JPG.9f7bfe2b6509159f82a55b5a3910e88d.JPGIMG_4959.thumb.JPG.408b22b61eace36b5e5fc30a0dd44577.JPGIMG_4935.thumb.JPG.0b1e8fd4fd24bcd0e1ecc66de1a06f27.JPGIMG_4937.thumb.JPG.1e6b8ac7af9730b01d361e6295ed7f13.JPG

Edited by amateur

Jan, 

Thanks for the pictures. I was also interested in the back of the figurehead. How it is attached and the way the bow pieces are attached. Thanks so much. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

And don't forget that the lion has two tails (between his legs...)

there is a Dutch saying: 'going with your tail between your legs', which means so much as 'leaving as you know you're beaten.' Fits in quite well with his facial expression. Someone had some fun I guess...

Jan

I don't see any tail(s) between its legs. As I see it, they are hidden. By any chance you wouldn't have a picture of that, would you? How am I going to carve that? Have a tail on each side of his rump? 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marcus,

The tail is there...look at the waist for the gold ball.. that's the end of the tail. 

Maybe the facial expression has to do with the tails being pulled up and off to the side? :):rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I see both tails. 

Marcus 

Worked on a few things. First I did the ornamentation on the railing. The cadmium red piece is a 1mm x 1mm dowel cut length wise (I did not cut it, this was purchased)  and glued flush with the top. The yellow ochre piece is 1mm x 2mm glued below the red piece. 

Transom with some carvings. The big mistake I made is the piece that is angled below the transom. It is too wide. It is because the sides of the pavilion are too high. Looks a bit weird but it will work. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, top of railing Sier. 1.jpg

Utrecht, top of railing Sier. 1.jpg

Utrecht, Stern and carvings 1.jpg

Oooooh yeah, that transom looks rather nice Marcus and I remember the coat of arms for Utrecht!  I used to go to the city quite often to shop.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Finished putting in the pavilion windows on the side. The windows stick out too much and th width of all three is longer than the plans, so not all the carvings fit. (another mistake). 

Cut out the canon holes and glued the gun wreaths (port holes in place

). I am leaving them gold and will not paint them yellow ochre. 

Too fill in the gaps between the carvings on the transom, I used sculpey. Formed the clay, baked at 275F for 15 minutes, cooled, painted, and glued in place. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, pavilion windows 1.jpg

Utrecht, gun wreaths, pavilion windows.jpg

Utrecht, gun wreaths are port holes .jpg

Utrecht, transom, sculpey filler 1.jpg

Utrecht, transom, sculpey, painted 2.jpg

Utrecht, transom, filler pcs .jpg

Transom glued to boat. Working on the roof of the pavilion and presently painting it medium cadmium red. Looking at the boat as a whole, it is very flashy with all the bright colors. Just imagine lots of different flashy colored yachts on the Zuiderzee in the 17th century. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, main structure .jpg

Utrecht, transom, simple carvings .jpg

Utrecht .jpg

Question about the leeboards. 

In the plan it shows that the leeboard is attached to this rectangle holder with a slit through it but it does not go further than that. In all my other models of Dutch boats it goes through the railing as well and is fastened with metal.

OR

Is part of the railing removed and the leaboard holder in place of that area? 

With all the pictures of talks I have the leeboards go through the rectangle piece and the railing and fastened with a wire loop so it can move. 

Marcus 

I have been wondering that same question involving my model of Yacht Mary. That is, of course, if such metal work was even being done at that time. Even though Mary was a century earlier than Utrecht, I have read that the design and build of the Statenjachts varied little during that time. My two books about the Utrecht never said anything about those metal pieces. Been wanting to get that other book from Sea Watch about the early Dutch sailing ships.

Brian :)

"Question about the leeboards. 

In the plan it shows that the leeboard is attached to this rectangle holder with a slit through it but it does not go further than that. In all my other models of Dutch boats it goes through the railing as well and is fastened with metal."

In "Het Staten Yacht Utrecht" by Ab Hoving, you can see it's a rectangle wooden slab with a slit bolted on its corners to/through the railing. The slit goes through the railing, and has chamfered edges.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks, Jan. The first picture is what I was looking for. It does go through the railing, even if it is a small hole and it makes the most sense. I looked at the same picture in the book of the Utrecht and even though it is dark, I recognize it. 

In the plans of the 17th century Dutch merchant ships it shows different ways of how the leeboards are attached to the ships. They all have a metal mechanism that slides horizontally. Some very simple and some more intricate. 

Marcus 

Worked on the leaboards, the recangle pieces and the little wooden round pieces that slide horizontally in the chamfer area. 

Cut through the railing and sanded the inside on an angle. 

Made those round pieces by sanding the tip of a dowel round and than saw it off. Next drill a itty-bitty hole through it. 

Also finished the (I am at a loss of words) two long wooden pieces attached to the railing that hold the sail down. Still needs to be painted medium cadmium red.  

Marcus 

Utrecht, leeboards 1.jpg

Utrecht, leeboards holder 2.jpg

Utrecht, leeboards parts .jpg

Utrecht, loper voor het zeil .jpg

These two pieces are not painted in the Utrecht. In dutch they are called'overloop', no ideawhat the english name is.

IMG_0305.JPG.3d258f921b38986e3a17edf84318ed36.JPG

they are slightly curved, and the corners are 'rounded', to prevent the metal ring getting stuck inthe wood. Note: they are locatedveryneartothedeck, and not to the uppersideof the railing.

jan

Jan, 

Thanks for the pictures. 

I will not paint them and round them out. Unfortunately, my deck has a bit too much of a curve (another one of my mistakes).

I will redo the front one, the back one is OK. 

So many mistakes in this boat at times I wonder that it still looks like a boat. But I am learning a lot with building from scratch and my next boat will be an improvement over this one. I am having a lot of fun building her. 

Marcus 

Finished the carvings of the rivergod. Just carved the outlines and sanded the edges round. Did this to all the carvings and I am happy with it. 

Also finished installing the deadeyes, just need to paint the brass Mars black. Once all the deck fittings are created and painted I will install the deck. 

Marcus 

Utrecht, deadeyes .jpg

Utrecht, carving Rivergod .jpg

Utrecht, stern carvings .jpg

22 hours ago, amateur said:

So many mistakes, and it still looks like a boat.

So they can't be very severe mistakes  :)

Jan

Jan, 

If you look at it closely you can recognize the mistakes. Okay, I exaggerated a bit, there are a few big ones and small ones. 

Yes it still looks like a boat. 

Marcus 

Nice work Marcus. Only a few minor mistakes and only you know it, everybody else that'll be ogling your marvelous work, wont. She's a beaut of a boat.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Going to take a break for 9 days as I am going to Peru, South America today. No ship museums on the list but wouldn't surprise me if they have one. Machu Picchu has been on my bucket list for decades.  Christmas there is going to be a very different experience. Interesting foods such as "the potatoe" (they have 600 varieties) and marmot (yes,... Guinea pig), etc

BTW for those of you that forgot your plant biology, the potatoe has its origin from Peru. 

Marcus