Has anyone come out with a kit of the James Caird (edited by admin)

:

Has anyone come out with a kit of the James Caird ?  This is the boat the Shackleton used to save the remaining members of his expedition stranded on Elephant Island. It was strongly modified by "chippy" enabling it to survive the Southern ocean and reach South Georgia whaling station.

I know there is one of the Bounty's launch. 

Thanks S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I don't think there is a kit of that, or the Endurance. One would think that interest in Antarctic exploration would rank alongside the voyages of other explorers such as Cook and Columbus and even Darwin.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

• 1 year later...

It's a shame no has done a model or kit of this boat.  However I did a painting of her skirting S. Georgia island.

The boat is on a back of a wave as they seek a possible landing place.

post-9806-0-49059100-1442283790_thumb.jpg

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I seem to remember someone doing this, but I'm thinking it was MSW 1.0 since I can't find it anywhere here.  :(

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I considered this as a scratchbuild project, there are no kits I know of. There is a lot of information out there, though, if you wanted to tackle it yourself. Here's just one example. A replica exists, I believe in Ireland, which occasionally travels (Mrs Cathead saw it once in the US).

Since I've become involved in ship modelling, I've been surprised how few kits there are of explorers' vessels. No Darwin's Beagle, No Shackleton's Endurance or Caird, just to name a few, despite plans and information being available. I'd love to build the Beagle, but scratching that is beyond my current talents.

I think Mamoli did the Beagle.

There is a Dutch company that creates Dutch models http://www.kolderstok.nl/duyfken.en.html. Duyfken. Duyfken is the first known European ship to visit Australia -- 164 years before the arrival of Captain James Cook.

Henry Hudson on the Half Moon (Halve Maen). I think it is from Corel.

The Half Moon was the name of a Dutch ship which sailed in what is now New York harbor on September 11, 1609. It was captained by Henry Hudson who was in the service of the Dutch Republic and who named the discovery of the river, which now bears his name, the Mauritius River after Holland's Lord-Lieutenant Maurits.

The kolderstok is a site that is partly owned by Hans who built the Batavia on MSW.

I know there are some other kits from explorers.

Just my 2 cts.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

To come back to the original question about modeling the James Caird ship,

I would recommend to contact the following:

http://www.jamescairdsociety.com/

If there is a model kit, I am sure they would know about it. If not, ask for plans and scratch build. 

The history is great and deserves attention. A ship model would be appreciated.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 3 months later...