Drilling Sheave Holes For Masts

Hello, using a drill press, is there a good way to center and hold dowels for drilling small sheave holes. Thanks, Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I have not done it with a drill press. I have always done it with a hand held pin vise. I would use a knife point to to mark the where you want to the drill to bite. Go slow and check several times to make sure you are drilling in the proper direction.

Russ

If you need to use the drill press, make a jig of a piece of wood with a deep "V" in it.  Lay the part in the "V" and hold it tight while drilling.   Russ's solution is a better one, IMHO.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have a variety of vee blocks that I could use but I'd probably use my finger plate. Different size brass bushes can be placed in the clamp. The one pictured is for a 5mm centre drill.

IMGP1751_zps6c622ff3.jpg

Or you could just do it with something like a bench block if you can temporarily fix it in place.

IMGP2068_zps7c1fd6f8.jpg

Just a vee cut into a piece of wood will work well enough though as Mark says. Just bring the drill bit down into the centre of the vee first then clamp the wood in place before placing your dowel into it. It's probably worth spending a little time to make a jig that can be kept safely for future use.

Now something as beautiful as that fingerplate can't go un-noticed in the internet world. You don't happen to call yourself Arbalest as well do you? I'd love to be able to make something like that.

Tony

Yes, with a little thought, QA, I could do a wooden jig. I've been using angle iron (well, aluminium, actually) for this kind of thing. But your's is a really beautiful piece of work.

Tony

Wow, some very impressive tools you got there. Well, I'm no machinist, that's for sure. However, using the suggestions above, I have come up with an idea that I think will work. I have started on it but won't finish until I get back from vacation. I will put up a few pics then.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

The bench block in one of my pictures is made by Starrett, although there are other makes out there.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/Precision-Measuring-Tools/Precision-Hand-Tools/Precision-Shop-Tools/Other-Shop-Tools/129

You could use one like this for cross drilling. One of the holes in the vee is just over 1/8".

1_zpsd7e1ee6a.jpg

With a BS 1 centre drill in the chuck bring it down until it enters the hole in the block. Find some way of ensuring the block doesn't move. Centre drills are much more ridgid than normal bits so shouldn't wander when you start the hole.

2_zpsbe85611b.jpg

Bring the bit up and just start the hole with the centre drill. Drill through with the correct size bit. If you can't ensure things don't move then use the correct size bit from the start and drill carefully. Just use an ordinary 1/8" to align the block if you don't have a centre drill.

3_zps206eac75.jpg

Hope this helps.

Aaaah! Centre drills are just the thing I needed to think about as I have been having some trouble with a 1.5mm drill that refuses to go down the centre. Thank you so much, QA! Oh, and I like the blocks as well -- I might well order one! [Edit: Oops, $96 for one. Maybe I'll make my own]

Tony

Edited by tkay11

One additional thought: In order to prevent  (or lessen) the possibility of the bit 'skittering' across the surface of the wood, file a small flat where the sheave will eventually be, then center punch. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That's much better! Thanks, QA!

Tony

Q A, That's just what I was looking for. I will pick up the bench block and centre drill. I'm sure that Russ's way would work too but I don't trust myself doing it that way. Thanks!

Hi.

One on EBay ATM .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300996989919?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Item number 300996989919

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi

Or another method

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/proops-centre-finder-for-round-bar-lathes-milling-drilling-3-8-or-8mm-spindle-/291067294848?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43c4f67480

This item you put into the drill and centre your work and clamp. Raise drill and remove this centre jig. Insert drill bit and drill.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

There are lots of ways. Another method is to put a small rule across the shaft to be drilled, bring the bit down until it touches the rule then move the work until the rule is perfectly (or very nearly!) horizontal. Depends what tools you have to hand. You can buy drilling pads with a vee in them if you have a lathe and there are lots of ways if you have a mill. The bench block though is I believe a handy thing to have around!