Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

Thanks Wacko!  I have been working on the scrollwork, the filler piece and the last two layers of planks.  They all tie together in the curve and there has been lot of trial and error.  Hopefully I will have new pictures tomorrow or the next day.  Thanks for dropping in. 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Well, this will surely be useful. It will be interesting to see how the stain reacts to the glue. Also i wonder if you get different results if you use water based stain or oil based stain.

Regarding the color of the original ship, it didnt look like it do in the museum. When it sailed it was most likely alot brighter but because of the age and where it has been it is now almost black, but it sure looks cool. :)

I also like the way it looks in it's current dark state.  When I get the stain tests done I will try to a series of pictures.  It is difficult to have the photos look accurate since all monitors are different and getting the color balance correct is also a challenge.

Jack

I stripped off the back layer of the inside piece of scrollwork with a scalpel blade so that it would lay flat with the rest of the scrollwork.

post-9182-0-55032300-1394124900_thumb.jpg post-9182-0-99987500-1394125116_thumb.jpg

There is a spacer at the top of the scrollwork where it pinches together.  It is sanded down and glued to the top of the structure.  There is also a small spacer needed where the scrollwork meets.

post-9182-0-12360200-1394124940_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-93682200-1394125017_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-40598200-1394125066_thumb.jpg

Another small piece cut to fit at the bottom of the scroll.  Also, a full hull length spacer at the top of the hull planking to give the last two vertical planks a place to land.  Obechi was specified but it would not take the bend without cracking so I used basswood.   I soaked it and bent it with a curling iron.

post-9182-0-95601400-1394125167_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-93042200-1394125225_thumb.jpg

Added the last two vertical planks.

post-9182-0-03987000-1394125280_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-38458900-1394127427_thumb.jpg

Jack

I stripped off the back layer of the inside piece of scrollwork with a scalpel blade so that it would lay flat with the rest of the scrollwork.

attachicon.gifOseberg -03-04-2014 73.jpg attachicon.gifOseberg -03-05-2014 83.jpg

There is a spacer at the top of the scrollwork where it pinches together.  It is sanded down and glued to the top of the structure.  There is also a small spacer needed where the scrollwork meets.

attachicon.gifOseberg -03-03-2014 76.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -03-03-2014 77.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -03-04-2014 74.jpg

Another small piece cut to fit at the bottom of the scroll.  Also, a full hull length spacer at the top of the hull planking to give the last two vertical planks a place to land.  Obechi was specified but it would not take the bend without cracking so I used basswood.   I soaked it and bent it with a curling iron.

attachicon.gifOseberg -03-04-2014 75.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -03-05-2014 71.jpg

Added the last two vertical planks.

attachicon.gifOseberg -03-06-2014 79.jpgattachicon.gifOseberg -03-06-2014 85.jpg

Amazing work, and in such a short time! Keep it up!

The last two vertical planks was really hard to get into place, i failed miserably with those two, because of the shape of the planks, they bent upward in the middle of my ship. I probably should have modified them before gluing them on.

Edited by Von_Kossa

Von_Kossa: Thanks for the generous words.  I only finished one side of the stern.  It is going a little faster on the other ¾ since I figured it out on the first quarter.  The last two planks were challenging for me as well.  I glued them 3 times before I got them right.  I love alcohol.

David B: Thanks for dropping in for a look and the kind words.   This is a really enjoyable project.

Bindy: Thanks for your usual encouragement.  I am watching your log for the big surprise!

Jack

It all depends aon the stuff you are using.  Aged brandy is for a nice carafe and a cigar.  Wild Turkey is for glue removal.

David B

It all depends aon the stuff you are using.  Aged brandy is for a nice carafe and a cigar.  Wild Turkey is for glue removal.

David B

I agree entirely!  Both uses suit me just fine.  I have been spending a lot of time with the second use lately and when I finish the hull and scrollwork I will definitely spend some time with the first.

Jack

I am new to this and I completely missed the "Likes".  

So, Bindy, edmay, SwordofConan, WakoWolf, Senior ole salt, Vivian and Curtis W, thank you very much for the "Likes" and the encouragement.  

This forum makes the build so much more fun than building without like minded observers around.

Thanks again.  Back to watching the glue dry.

Jack

I had to cut back the planks in the curve to allow the scrollwork to fit.  Better that than reduce the size of the scroll which is the most important visual detail.

post-9182-0-37073300-1394403886_thumb.jpg

Von_Kossa and I both ran into the same problem with the top two planks that form a vertical band.  If you follow the bulkheads those planks lift to the center.  They are also a little fat on the ends.  They must be dragged down to get them level which leaves a fair amount of bulkhead to be cut off.  The bulkheads are also cut with the profile for those two planks too deep.  It takes a lot of sanding to cut them back far enough that the planks lay against each other.  It is still a little high (I missed it) which I will have to cut back.  I am holding off on the scroll pieces on the inside of the stem and stern to avoid damage as I work.

This sure is fun!

post-9182-0-22430900-1394404044_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-72466900-1394404106_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-88404700-1394404168_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-92330900-1394404279_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-29137400-1394405134_thumb.jpg

Jack

I had to cut back the planks in the curve to allow the scrollwork to fit.  Better that than reduce the size of the scroll which is the most important visual detail.

Just watch it so you don´t cut away to much of the planks glued to the bulk. I was very scared doing that i can tell you.

That's a very nice build. Regarding the colour, I googled the Oseberg ship to find out what timber she was made of, and of course it turned out to be oak. So when she was new she would have been nice and golden-brown. But if you like it darker, as it is in the museum - hey, it's your model and you should choose what you want.

By the way, there were a lot of grave goods found in the ship, including a 4-wheeled ceremonial cart, 3 beds, a bucket, textiles, and a wooden chest, as well as the bodies of two women - thought to be Queen Asa and a handmaiden. See  here for some images. 

Edited by Louie da fly

Hi Von_Kossa, I was careful and it ended up looking good.

Thanks Wacko, real life has intervened the last few days and limited my hobby time.  More soon.

Thanks David B, I appreciate you dropping by.

Welcome Louie da fly, the link to the images is great.  You are the second to mention that the ship was lighter in life before burial.  I plan to use oak to cover the plywood ends and for hull planking.  When I get to the stain tests i will definitely try some lighter shades.  I am very fond of medium oak myself.

Thanks WackoWolf, jbford and Bindy for the likes.

Jack

I added oak veneer to the keel and it flushed up nicely to the scrollwork.  The first two pictures show what it looks like without and with.  I plan to cover the exposed plywood ends with oak and plank the deck as well with oak.

post-9182-0-25131400-1394922586_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-85539000-1394922731_thumb.jpg

The gunwales or sheer strakes (or whatever the Viking equivalent is) are not the best kit pieces and you can see in the third picture they look sort of unexciting.  They will have shields on the upper plank so most of it will be covered.

post-9182-0-34616000-1394921722_thumb.jpg

I clamped a couple of scrap pieces of oak to the ship to get an idea of how it will look.

post-9182-0-58395000-1394921757_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-95775800-1394921790_thumb.jpg

I have enough oak on hand to do both sides I am just not sure if it is worth the time and effort.  Also not sure if it will make the rest of the hull planks look weak.  Stain tests with the oak and plywood might help me make up my mind.  Advice is very welcome.

Jack

After a day of indecision when I woke up this morning I realized I had to cut the new planks.  I removed the plywood planks and used them as the pattern for the new oak planks.  I used 1/6th inch thick red oak to cut out the pattern with a scroll saw.  I cut them a little oversize since the originals did not fit as well as they should.  After dry fitting I did a little final shaping with a 1 inch belt sander.  Finished them off with a couple of passes through the thickness sander.

post-9182-0-17075000-1395004505_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-30574100-1395004556_thumb.jpg

Making them a little wider really helped to place them a little higher and get them level without leaving a lot of bulkhead to cut off.

post-9182-0-65009900-1395004580_thumb.jpg

Hopefully they will tie in nicely with the oak deck planks.

Jack

Thanks David B.  I will be away from the shipyard for a week or so on a consulting gig.  See everyone when I get back.

Thanks for the "Likes" Aussie048, Kapitenhadock, Senior ole salt, WackoWolf and any that I have missed.

Jack

Jack, I can just see those Viking warriors itching to get aboard and do some raiding. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hi Senior ole salt.  Those guys were tough.  True explorers that knew how to survive.

Thanks Bindy, The new planks look even better in real life than in the photograph.  I was amazed that I managed to get the cut correct the first time.  Practice I guess.  More to come as soon as I return.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I am back from a business trip (I know, I am supposed t be retired) and I stopped in Sedona Arizona for a few days to enjoy my other hobby, photography.

post-9182-0-95015600-1396393316_thumb.jpg

The bad news is that I fell off a rock and damaged my camera and myself.  It is amazing how debilitating a disabled little finger is.  It is improving rapidly so hopefully I can get back to my build in a few days.  I am happy to be back and catching up on the true works of art underway on this wonderful forum.

Jack

Thanks Tom And David B,

This is  sunset shot.  The sky was lightly overcast and allowed Cathedral Rock to glow a little bit.  The color in Sedona is wonderful.  I did make it to the Vortex the next evening but it was heavily overcast with no sunset at all.  I shot a few images but nothing I would show to anyone.  Coming down from the plateau near the Vortex is where I fell.  I had to cross a small notch in the slickrock and was thinking that I needed to be very careful because of the loose rock bits.  Bam! head first onto the deck.  I broke the fall with my knee and right hand with the camera in it.  Minor damage all around.  The little finger was the worst but it is slowly becoming useful again.  I can't wait to start modeling again but the thought of spending time using a saw with one finger sticking out  where it does not belong is a little scary.

Tom and Wacko thank for the likes.

Jack

That really is a great photo Jack and an amazing landscape but I really am sorry to hear of the price you paid for your shots :(

Welcome home and get better soon.  You are absolutely right in that holding a saw with your little pinky out like you were some fancy person drinking a cup of tea really would look a bit silly haha

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got the use of my right hand back.  It took three weeks when I optimistically thought it would be one week.  The little finger is still a long way from straight but it at least it is no longer (to paraphrase Bindy) stuck out like a poser drinking tea.  I feel a little lame whining about my little finger while Vivian is still in serious dry dock.

I finished cutting out the gunwales and placing them.  It took a few tries.  The oak really is a nice improvement.  I also completed the oak veneer on the keel between the scrollwork.

post-9182-0-70865400-1397929974_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-74923000-1397930122_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-96844000-1397930082_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-38158600-1397930057_thumb.jpg

The next step before I start on the inside is the keel edge.  It is plywood with the scrollwork and oak veneer applied.  I could sand it and stain it but I think it will still be ugly.  If I stain it a relatively light oak it will be hard to hide the layers.I have been thinking of covering it with oak veneer.

post-9182-0-47538200-1397932444_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-09223900-1397932477_thumb.jpg

The Oseberg scrolls at the top of the stem and stern look rounded so that presents a problem wrapping all the way around.  I will try dry fitting as many options as I can think of and decide which way to go.  Suggestions always welcome.

post-9182-0-77129100-1397932414_thumb.jpg

Jack