Oseberg Viking Ship by Jack P - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th Century - (Modified)

Glad to hear you are okay Jack.  If your keel stem is round waht about making up a test piece and round it ou then apply the veneer?  This way you can see what the results will be without damaging anything.  By the way your photo makes a great wallpaper.  My sister likes it on her Mac as well.

David B

She's coming along beautifully, Jack. Re: the rounded scrolls, it would be possible to sand them until they are rounded, and then carve or scribe back in the detail. The detail on the scrolls don't look too difficult.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi David B,

Thanks for following.  I feels great to be working on the build again.  I did hang out in the shipyard while my hand was mending but it was only wishful thinking.  When I retired I moved my office to the shipyard so I am always around the smell of sawdust.  If you want a larger file of the Sedona picture just let me know.  Check out www.27birds.com for more photos.  I have not updated it in years but it will give you an idea of my other hobby.  Someday soon I will add the new stuff.

Hi Keith W,

Thanks for checking in.  Good suggestion, it would look more like the original.

And thanks to all for the likes.

Here are some test pics.  The first 2 show the end as it is now.  I made pieces from scrap of the same material.  I sanded the edges round and used a walnut stain on one and a medium oak on the other.  We had discussion earlier about staining the ship dark like the museum original or a lighter color more like the ships when new.  The walnut definitely hides the plywood ends better.  Personally I like the look of the lighter stain but the walnut may be more practical.  David B was this the test you had in mind?

My choices seem to be to leave the scrolls flat and cover them with veneer (not as easy as it sounds on that tight curve) or sanding the edges round and staining.  I could not get the veneer to curve around the scroll and then bend over the rounded edges.  Carving any scrollwork that the sanding erases should be achievable since it is very basic. 

post-9182-0-02445300-1398015192_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-73854000-1398015218_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-08489700-1398015282_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-65913300-1398015307_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-09849900-1398015565_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-99631700-1398016846_thumb.jpg

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

I decided to take a break from the hull and do something a little different.  I put together he mast foot and as others have found it is not very nice.  It is lots of plywood stacked together with a plywood top.  The center part is a little thinner than the top so if I planned to use it I would have to fill the sides as well.

post-9182-0-45536300-1398553876_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-49311300-1398553968_thumb.jpg

I used a ¾ x ¾ x 5 inch piece of red oak instead.  I think it was meant to be a pen blank.

post-9182-0-52326300-1398554031_thumb.jpg

I used a band saw to cut the major curves and a 1 inch belt sander to refine it.

post-9182-0-07362000-1398553771_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-55630500-1398553839_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-76298800-1398554071_thumb.jpg

I will drill the hole for the mast and do the finish sanding later but I was really pleased with the way it turned out.  I bought a couple of spares in case I messed up.  I am sure they will come in handy later on.

Jack

Jack,

I never had an interest in Viking boats.  But after reading thru you build log and your photos, I hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair and sit a while.  

Your build is enchanting. 

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Hi Dee Dee,

Welcome Aboard!  The more the merrier.  I read somewhere on this forum that you should build a ship that you love.  Well, I love this ship.  I love the lines, I love what the Vikings did with them.  

I am working on the last parts of the hull.  Mostly oak veneer on the keel.  The interior has a lot more work than it looks.  90% of the planking is straight forward but that last 10% is a challenge.

Thanks for looking in.

Jack

Thanks Bindy, I have the two mast feet sitting out on the workbench and the the comments from everyone who sees them is 100% in favor of the new one.  The kit maker should be ashamed.  

Jack

The plywood edges are just ugly.  I have intended all along to cover them.  I actually worked out pretty well.  Here are the before pictures:

post-9182-0-56459300-1399170397_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-14647700-1399170442_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-28006300-1399171128_thumb.jpg

I used 1/64 red oak veneer which was fairly flexible but would not come close to making the tight curve on the inside of the scrollwork without cracking.  I steamed it for about 15 minutes and wrapped it around a ¼ inch dowel and clamped it until it dried.  It held the bend well and it fit right into place.

post-9182-0-17472900-1399168564_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-86017800-1399168742_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-15642400-1399168776_thumb.jpg

The second piece was a little more difficult because it was a tight squeeze with two strips in the same spot.  It also required a little sanding to get clearance between the two at the inner most part.

post-9182-0-63404100-1399168921_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-93752400-1399169060_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-24704800-1399172140_thumb.jpg

All I got done today (all day) was the stern, the bow should go faster since I have it figured out now.  I still need to tie in the keel and touch up the sanding.  The pictures show all the flaws but it looks really nice in real life.

Jack

I am glad to see that your progress goes well.

Your approach with the veneer is something i also have thought about, the problem with this approach is the increased thickness and the look from the side of it.

But like you, i cannot see another solution.

I hope it goes as well for me as for you when i try this. :)

Thanks Keith, it is a labor of love and oddly enough it came out just the way that I envisioned it.  Thanks for looking in.

Hi David B, thanks, great to have you here.

Thanks to all of you for the likes, they are greatly appreciated.

Jack

Hi Von_Kossa,

I agree that the veneer solves some problems but creates some of it's own.  Like you (I learned it from you) I have made adjustments to get the final layer of veneer to match up with the kit parts and so far so good.  The inside of the curve is a real challenge to make it look natural and integrated but with careful and tedious sanding it is coming together.  As always thanks for you support.

Jack

Hello!

I am wondering, being, that i have sort of a interest in this subject. Are you planning to make a dent in the veneer so the scroll work patterns follow through with the veneer? See picture and enjoy the extremely beautiful arrows.

I have begun working with this also and i cannot make up my mind... If you don´t the veneer looks like just what it is, something glued upon, but if you dent it, maybe it will merge more with the scroll work... hmmm, or maybe not.

And your thought about this is? :)

post-1001-0-39154000-1399757427_thumb.jpg

I think it looks really nice in the pictures too Jack!

Thanks Bindy, it is amazing how much detail you get from a hi res digital image.  Photography has been my hobby much longer than ship building (nearing 60 years) and I work at it all the time.  Take a look at http://www.27birds.com to see some of my work.  I have not updated the site in several years but it is on my list of things to do soon.  It is spring here and I am anxious to get out and chase flowers and bugs.  Thanks for looking.

Jack

Hello!

I am wondering, being, that i have sort of a interest in this subject. Are you planning to make a dent in the veneer so the scroll work patterns follow through with the veneer? See picture and enjoy the extremely beautiful arrows.

I have begun working with this also and i cannot make up my mind... If you don´t the veneer looks like just what it is, something glued upon, but if you dent it, maybe it will merge more with the scroll work... hmmm, or maybe not.

And your thought about this is? :)

I have been struggling with the same issue.  It is difficult to tell from the museum pictures if those lines go all the way around the scroll.  I have been tempted to do just what you suggest but I am afraid of damaging the veneer.  I believe that once everything is stained the scroll will not look so different.  For now I think that I will leave it as it is.  That does not mean that I will not change my mind later.   :rolleyes:  I plan to start on the deck in the next few days.

Jack

Hi Jack, I just discovered your build log . Fantastic Viking ship you are building . I like the carvings beautiful job

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Pete, welcome to the build.  The scrollwork is part of the kit.  It does take a little adjustment to make it work.  It is in fact the reason I chose this kit.  It is also a large scale, nearly 35 inches stem to stern.  I started the build with changes in mind and they have worked out pretty well so far.  

Hello Don, welcome as well.  The Billing Boats kit was the only one I found with scroll work of any kind.  I knew that I was not ready to try that on my own.  One thought is that you could print the pictures of the scrollwork from my log to scale for yours and use them as a pattern.  If you need any additional views I will be happy to take the photos.

Von_Kossa has a wonderful build log on MSW as well  Oseberg Von_Kossa    I have learned a lot from his experience.  

Jack

Hello Jack,

I just looked into your build log, its a great build, the vikings realy knew how to shape a good boat and for best seaworthiness. Your model is looking fabulous in all Details. Lovely photos, those with the black Background

well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nils, thanks for looking in.  The black background photos were done with the "Latest Full Profile of Your Build" in mind.  The photos looked so good that I thought about doing everything in the future with the black setup.  I quickly realized that moving the work over to the photo setup was not a good idea.  Too much time and effort for each little happy snap.  The ship is a lovely shape.  The build is a long awaited gift for my Admiral.  Thanks for the kind words.

Hello Rowan, happy to have you looking in.  I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement.  My finger is much better but I don't think that it will ever be the same.  I have been watching your HMB Endeavour log with great interest.  Your work is beautiful.  The Endeavour will be my next build.  I started it years ago and put it away when I realized that I was over my head.  My skills are improving with practice and I will be ready to tackle it after I finish the Oseberg.  I hope that all is well with you and yours.

Jack

Hi Bindy, it is good to hear from you.  Thanks for looking at my photography, very happy that you liked it.  When I get around to updating the website I will let you know.  I hope that you are well and look forward to your return, we miss that permanent good attitude of yours.

This was made in the Florida Everglades a couple of years ago.

post-9182-0-84884700-1400368666_thumb.jpg 

Jack

I started on the deck.  The planks fit between the bulkheads. The Oseberg was made primarily of oak so along with the rest of  the modifications the planks will be made of red oak.  The top of the bulkheads are exposed plywood ends.  The kit has fewer bulkheads than the ship so the planks are longer than the real thing.

I had a false start with the bulkhead strip.  The planks are 1/6 in thick so I thought I could use three layers of the oak veneer that I used on the keel.  (3 layers plus the thickness of the glue was pretty close to the thickness of the oak planks.)

post-9182-0-57627700-1400425905_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-15386000-1400420984_thumb.jpg

The veneer bent around the curves easily but was so brittle that I could not get it to hold a sharp edge on the long side.  It looked a little sloppy where the planks butted up to the strip.  I decided to rip 3/16 inch pieces of the planking material to use as the strips.  Soaking the oak was not enough to get it to bend to the curve of the bulkheads without breaking so I went to the steam rig.

post-9182-0-33001300-1400422168_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-34266700-1400422144_thumb.jpg

15 or 20 minutes was enough and rather than build a form I just pulled them out of the steamer one at a time and pressed them into the curve using a bit of an old packing tube and clamped them into place until they set.  Even with the steam, trying to bend the strips with my fingers, it was difficult not to crack the wood but the tube made it easy.  Clamping required a little creativeity. 

post-9182-0-88154500-1400422202_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-87498300-1400422008_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-96369100-1400422243_thumb.jpg

Next was to add a frame to hold the planks at the same level as the top of the bulkhead.

post-9182-0-15107000-1400422048_thumb.jpg

I will probably face that small bit of visible plywood where the bulkhead turns up with oak veneer.  I say probably because I have not tried it yet and do not know if it will work.  Stain may work as well.

post-9182-0-03126300-1400421870_thumb.jpgpost-9182-0-35175700-1400422092_thumb.jpg

There is still a ton of work to do on the deck and mast foot.  Updates as they happen.  Thanks for looking.

post-9182-0-74620900-1400425228_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for the "Likes".

Jack

Nice work Jack, she is really taking shape . I like your steam box set up.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice work Jack, she is really taking shape . I like your steam box set up.

Best Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete, The steam box has been a big help.  I have a fair amount of experience with it now and I am working on a redesign.  The steam generator works great but the box could use a better condensation drain, vent and door.  My barbecue gloves are perfect for avoiding burned hands.  Thanks for looking in.

Jack

After having a thoroughly enjoyable read through your log,I have to say wonderful work Jack!! I have two model requests for my wife to fulfill one day,Mary Rose and a Viking ship,this kit looks like a very nice way to meet the later.Having also looked at your website,I have to say some of the pictures are positively awe inspiring,outstanding!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline