Washington 1776 by Mike 41 - FINISHED - 1:48 - row galley

very nice work Mike,

clean accurate and wonderful joining. I like the answer you gave as to your intended Planking already, and expect your model to be one of the great ones at MSW.

Well done

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike,

Excellent!!!  I believe that is your WASHINGTON lurking behind the sinking PHILADELPHIA in the photo on my build log (second post of the blog).

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Nils,

The framing is going very well and I expect to start the fairly soon. There is a lot of great builds on the site and I hope she will slide into the middle when complete.

Hi Chuck,

The Washington in the painting certainly could be my ship. The lines are about the same. It does look like the forward mast was shortened by the British some.. You are doing excellent work on the Philadelphia.

Mike  

Mike,

Many thanks.  PHILLY is a much simpler design/model than yours is.  Your framing looks great.

After an inconvenient 24 pound ball lodged at or below the waterline (you can see in the Smithsonian ship...the ball is still there), PHILADELPHIA started sinking by the bow.  The 'bailing well' back aft was of little value at that point.  WASHINGTON came alongside to take off the surviving crew...only to be captured later when WASHINGTON was overtaken by the British.  Lt. Rue and some of the PHILLY crew made it to shore and made their way by land to Fort Ticonderoga.

Are you talking about the British shortening th emast after they captured it or via a cannon ball.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Mike, I really enjoy the progress we're steadily seeing. Your scratch building skill are amazing. I especially like the selection of wood you are using.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Good morning Mike!

It´s amazing what a beautiful things can one achieve with good plans and ofcourse great modelling skill. I specially like the thick stuff. It looks really "thick" and symetrical.

Great work! Keep going!

Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

I am glad you like the thick stuff. I soaked the Beachwood in warm water for 30 minutes and clamped it to a plastic 30 gallon trash barrel to bend it. That worked pretty well. Jeff Staudt did a fine job on the plans they are very clear and accurate. He also did the plans for the Bomb Vessel Granado Cross Section posted on the site.

This set of photos shows an addition of more platforms and  a trial fit for the wellroom and the stove location.

post-950-0-94861800-1394975256_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-01459100-1394975267_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-95011700-1394975277_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-54749400-1394975284_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-48329200-1394975290_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-93492900-1394975298_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-21970400-1394975306_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-13127500-1394975314_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-11868600-1394975320_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Very impressive.  It also has the benefit of not being 'one of the usual suspects'.  I am enjoying your progress.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

The wellroom and shot lockers is made from marble wood (Acacia bakeri). It was in a “grab bag” of pen turning blocks I bought a while back.

Mike,

I knew that this is going to be a great model, and I am by no means disappointed from what I see at this sequence already...

Very well done !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Chuck,

You can buy kits for most of the usual suspects but I like to wander off the beaten path. I think most people like to see something different occasionally.

Hi Nils

Thanks, if the Washington is half as nice as your Gorch Fock 2 I will be happy with her.

Mike

The stove and brick base are just first class. Are you planning on painting your stove?

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Stove?  You get a stove and I get a fireplace?  Benefits of being a general I guess.

That padauk sure does make a reasonably good brick, eh?  Looking good!!!

Are you "live" or are you posting old stuff?  If live, you are moving quite fast.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck,

It’s good to be the king! We had more men onboard and the cook was picky about what he cooked on. LOL

I was too lazy to cast and bake the bricks and Padauk was about the right color…. I started the log about a month after I started the build and now I am about three days from going live. You might say I am a half fast builder.

Mike

Edited by Mike 41

Mike, that stove is unreal. Really great work. Next up is miniature bread to bake???  B)

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Thanks Joe and Patrick,

Most of the stove will be hidden when the gundeck is in place. LOL I have started working on the gundeck and this is a few progress photos.

post-950-0-22303900-1395837120_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-00111700-1395837130_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-71948100-1395837147_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-54568200-1395837152_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-82389900-1395837166_thumb.jpg

post-950-0-20333600-1395837178_thumb.jpg

Are those donuts?  We don't get donuts on PHILADELPHIA.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild