Greek Bireme by bensid54 - FINISHED - RADIO

As far as reverse goes I can put in two more switches but before I go to that trouble I'll install an override switch to bypass those micro switches when I need to make a turn or reverse it long enough to stop or give me a bit of bow room, after sea trial then I will do corrective wiring if need be. Patrick the camera is on a mount attached to the servo at the front that I made which gives me the ability to pan up and down as far as left to right goes I just turn the whole machine, the controller has a stabilizing system for cameras but I don't use it because I want to know if it is banking or turning on command. 

Thanks for the compliments Patrick! I think they could turn on their own axis as long as the guy yelling orders gets it right. Yes I am very happy with it took a lot of time to get to this point, I can improve the stability by adding rudders and the battering ram that should smooth it all right out. I think I may actually have it done before the end of the year.

Now that is even more impressive...   Rudder control would be interesting as you wouldn't have reverse oars to make gentle turns.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started building my Bireme I have wrecked one pair of shorts and about three "T" shirts by getting epoxy rubbed or dripped on them as I'm sure many of you have had a spill or two at your own work stations, my wife of course would spot my screw ups and tell me about them, so I came up with a solution. Last year I acquired a Serger and sewing machine to make samples of my night time leg cramp prevention invention that I patented in November 2014 that works very well, and I must say I have learned how to work those machines and made myself an apron or at least I think that's what you call them, so I thought I would post a picture.  

post-12226-0-55634500-1435388535_thumb.jpg

Since I started building my Bireme I have wrecked one pair of shorts and about three "T" shirts by getting epoxy rubbed or dripped on them as I'm sure many of you have had a spill or two at your own work stations, my wife of course would spot my screw ups and tell me about them, so I came up with a solution. Last year I acquired a Serger and sewing machine to make samples of my night time leg cramp prevention invention that I patented in November 2014 that works very well, and I must say I have learned how to work those machines and made myself an apron or at least I think that's what you call them, so I thought I would post a picture.

Hi Ben

...how does the saying go? "Necessity is the mother of invention?"

Nice job!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I broke down and bought one of those denim aprons made for workmen.  The Admiral wishes I would wear it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Time to make the ram! Started out by cutting templates from cardboard I cut out to fit the hull, taped them together to make sure the fit was right. With my paper templates I traced them on to brass sheeting I have, then using tin snips I cut them out of the brass sheet. I fitted the bent piece to the hull then traced around that piece on to the brass sheet below it. With that last step being done I was able to solder the rest of it together now the worst part is done but I've only half finished the ram.

post-12226-0-31754200-1435801045_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-82098200-1435801076_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-32631700-1435801113_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-85505300-1435801139_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-82403800-1435801165_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-28499300-1435801208_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-08120100-1435801242_thumb.jpg

post-12226-0-26269800-1435801268_thumb.jpg

Nice metalwork.. that ram looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The ram is a fine piece of brass work.  I would sure hate to see that coming at my boat.

Bob 

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Ben

Your battering ram made me think.....When we were kids, we used to take great delight in using our RC cabin cruisers to chase the local ducks on the lake. The ducks hated it, but the bystanders had a laugh. I can just imagine how much more entertaining the spectacle would've been if your battering rams with spikes were fitted to our boats!

Now, that's worth a thought.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Began building the hatches yesterday, used my modified tile saw to cut all 22 hatches for the rowers to pop out of and shoot arrows at the enemy. I made them out of basswood for some contrast and the handles will be brass they will be spaced as far apart as possible to allow a roped area between the hatches. The Amati model has a plush area near the stern for someone important to sit in which would be a very bad place to be in battle so I think mine won't have that. I will be checking out other styles and models to finish the deck and come up with something more suitable. 

post-12226-0-72634400-1436104432_thumb.jpg

Edited by bensid54

The rudders as they are, I attempted to slot the dowels with my milling bit but only managed to split them so I used my little table saw. As I was cutting the dowels I was making a fair bit of smoke so I assumed the blade must be getting dull so I continued on. Once I had cut both dowels I checked out how dull the blade on my little saw was to find out I had been feeding the dowels into the saw the wrong way the whole time! Some days I wonder how I manage to dress myself without labeling my shoes right and left!

post-12226-0-76494700-1436148696_thumb.jpg