Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About BenF89

  • Birthday 05/21/1989

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Washington, USA
  • Interests
    Boats! Also: Family, books, theology, sketching and drawing, history

Recent Profile Visitors

447 profile views
  1. Nice work thus far! Are the two pieces that don’t fit tight to the hull the rudders themselves or the rudder supports? They look like the supports to me. If they are the supports, they should fit tight, I think, but if they are the rudders themselves then they should have a slight gap.
  2. I like these commercial workboat builds. I follow along!
  3. Nice work! I like the lego for scale. Even we “adults” play, er, I mean ‘model’ with legos sometimes!
  4. The bright side is that once you get through this build, you’ll have a real knack for improvisation, and future builds will be a breeze!
  5. Looks great! I assume the thrusters will then be manually rotated (not remote?) I’m interested to know what the intent/benefit is if they’re manual- I could see a remote control set up like the actual ship’s controls being a neat feature for learning the system. But I’m sure there are lots of advantages or uses I’m not considering. Also, I love the Foss seaport museum - I took my kids (1, 3, and 5) a few months back, and they really liked it, especially the interactive old-style fishing boat. I’ll have to catch the next meeting!
  6. That’s over the top! Incredible work. I think one of the hard things about documenting small scale builds is that to capture the intricacy of detail, one loses a sense of scale. But to get the sense of scale one loses the fine detail. I prefer the ‘wow, that’s a lot of detail’ pics, with the occasional picture to remind me, oh yeah, this whole ship is roughly the length of and significantly narrower than a loaf of bread...
  7. Thanks for the explanation. I assumed that must have been the process, unless the kit was with this level of PE in mind as integral to the kit. I agree it has been working- looks fantastic so far!
  8. It’s amazing what a difference good plan sets and reference information make! What a convenience getting on the actual tug. I know firsthand how often the product doesn’t match the drawing, or (often) the drawing is simply silent on a detail or arrangement. Heck, it’s even the case on my own designed model!
  9. Dumb question (probably): how is the added thickness of the brass plating accounted for without making the superstructure out of scale in its dimensions? Or is the ‘out of scale’ negligible? (though, at 1:350, even small changes would be significant at full scale)
  10. I’m looking forward to this! I just don’t get tired of seeing folks’ Titanic builds. Encountering the Titanic story at a young age inspired my trajectory towards my current career in Naval Architecture, so it’s very near-and-dear.
  11. Looks great! I really like her lines. Beautiful ship, even if she had seen better by the time she was a war-bride transport...
  12. Thanks, Denis! Good to hear from you _________________ FORWARD HEAD OUTFIT - PART 5 Spent most of the ‘build time’ this week planning and drawing a new head arrangement, and then carefully measuring for part details. Results are below: Head Redesign- Sheet 1 Head Redesign- Sheet 2 Head Redesign - Sheet 3 My plan is to build as much as I can off the boat out of styrene, rather than build it in wood and have to sheath it. But the plastic-sheathed-wood route may be more robust. I suppose I’ll find out what I decide when I make it.
  13. I showed the brochure to my 5 yo daughter. She said "That's very fancy. I hope it NEVER sinks." So you have a vote of approval from the two of us!
  14. Have you seen Koppalakki’s build log for his Missouri? There might be some information there about what should get drilled where. Though, he’s going more for end of service life. That said, the small holes at the stem probably should not be drilled- I believe those are locators for draft marks.
  15. Just discovered this log, and I’m glad I haven’t missed the whole adventure! I’ve got my sights set on (eventually) designing and building an RC workboat/commercial craft of some type, and so I’m taking lots of mental notes. Looks like a great project so far, and I’m going to enjoy following along!

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...