A new video about making gun carriages

After seeing what Michael in Santa Monica has done with his Vasa I am a bit ashamed to publish this new video, but here it is any way.

I wanted to make 16 guns that are only 6 pounders for my next project.
They are very small, but here I try to show how I went about this.

Oh, you might turn up the sound for this.

They are not yet finished, need new barrels, etc.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hi Jay!

Thank you for a wonderful video tutorial!  Haha you should not be embarrassed at all!

Although I don't have your tools, it really was a learning experience to see them in action thank you.  However, I did learn some really helpful tips from something as simple (but useful) as labeling my drill sizes, to your clamping method with the peg and the board (what a great idea) and how you made the eye bolts was just so clever and easy.

Thank you again!  You really have helped me :)

Jay -

Thank you for sharing your skill and expertise in this video.  I learned a lot that will help me in assembling and fitting out the cannons for my FAIR AMERICAN.  I have been puzzling over how to make the small rings and eye bolts on the sides of the cannon carriages, and you nicely solved this for me.

Well done.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done video. Might I suggest using brass wire for the eye and ringbolts rather than steel, though? Then there is no danger of rusting.

I used the steel wire because it was very thin (0.010 inch). After making the twisted eye, I blackened them which should protect them from any rusting. The rings were actually made of brass.

Since then I have found copper and brass wire at the very thin gauges. But, again, I am not really that concerned.

Thanks for those comments, my friends.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 1 year later...

Great video, Jay. Two small tips for novice machinists:

1. If you want to turn wood down to a very small diameter use an oversized piece of wood in the headstock and only work on small lengths (perhaps 1") at a time. The minimizes deflection. 

2. When parting off small, repetitive pieces with a drilled out center (such as cannon wheels) insert a length of thin wire down the center with plenty of overhang. The wheel will stay on the wire when parted as opposed to flying across the workshop.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Great video, Jay. Two small tips for novice machinists:

1. If you want to turn wood down to a very small diameter use an oversized piece of wood in the headstock and only work on small lengths (perhaps 1") at a time. The minimizes deflection. 

2. When parting off small, repetitive pieces with a drilled out center (such as cannon wheels) insert a length of thin wire down the center with plenty of overhang. The wheel will stay on the wire when parted as opposed to flying across the workshop.

Is the wire connected to anything or just sticking out of the wood with the hole drilled in it? Sounds like a really good idea.

Thanks

Greg H.

GREG H.

Greg,

The easiest way is to secure that bit wire in the tailstock.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Very nice job on those canons. My grandpa has milling machines and I have just been highly motivated to go visit him and see if I can reproduce your results. I'm gonna need some of the canons for my Couronne build soon anyway. Thanks for the video!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild