Ingomar by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/278 - Hereshoff designed schooner

Omega your workmanship is incredible.  If you live in the midwest I would love to see your model at the Wisconsin Maritime Museums annual Model Contest.  We do not get enough miniatures with this quality of craftsmanship.

David B

Hi David- thanks. That's a great compliment and very much appreciated!

Pete. Thanks. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to IT stuff, so, I was surprised that I was able to muddle my way through onto You Tube. Glad you liked the videos.

Cap'N'Bob. I'm glad you like my model. After having admired your models, especially your Spray, that's a real compliment.

BHerman, Mahuna and MTaylor - Many thanks for stopping by. MTaylor, your Licorne build is amazing and I often marvel at your meticulousness and attention to detail.

All the best, everyone.

Hi all. Just a small amount of progress so far. I've recently completed the sliding hatch over the forward deck house. This is the one that looks rectangular with three windows in it plus a sliding hatch running across the deck house's roof. If you ask me, it looks damn weird. What was Herreshoff thinking when he designed such an odd structure? To my mind, surely it would've looked far better without it! Anyhow, who am I to criticise...

I've also started work on the most forward companionway hatch. This is the one that is curved in profile. It will have a ladder leading to the crew quarters in the bow of the ship.

Anyhow, here're the photos of the progress so far:

post-7645-0-04681400-1408120798_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-54045200-1408120820_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-22747700-1408120846_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40606200-1408120870_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-75733600-1408120895_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-17075700-1408120927_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-18248600-1408120956_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-12918000-1408120983_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-67346900-1408121035_thumb.jpg

I love the openness of the hull and deck.  I should have built the Spray like that.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Hexnut and Bob.  Many thanks for stopping by.  Bob - Thanks for your comment about the openness of the hull and deck.  There ain't nothing wrong with your model of the Spray and I'm like you in the sense that I'm always conflicted by how much of the deck and hull should/should not be exposed.  For instance, I built a Victory at 1/192 with everything detailed inside and I mean everything that I could possibly replicate at such a small scale.  It had all 5 decks done and took three years of painstaking work.  However, I only left a small portion of the hull exposed.  When I look back at it now, I think that all my hard work and dedication has potentially gone to waste because you can see only a small portion of the interior.  In fact, all I've got to show to prove it are some grainy digital low resolution photos.

That's why with each model since the Victory, I've been progressively becoming more extreme with the openness of the hull and deck.  There's just something that I love about being able to look at the interior through the exposed deck and hull that really motivates me.

Anyhow, have great weekend, everyone.

Hi Omega, Very nice work , shes looking really good , Fantastic detail

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Most of the miniature ship models out there are military because of size limitations.  As a result I have always enjoyed anything 1/192 or smaller that is not 20C navy.  I have had friends say I should throw my hat in the ring.  But I doubt if my eyes or my hands would be able to handle it. 

David B

Hi David.  Thanks for your comments.  I've always loved miniatures as well, because there's something captivating about seeing something so small, yet so precise (well, hopefully precise...depending upon one's abilities).  However, I'm not familiar with the term "20C Navy".  Could you pls explain?

Thanks.

Thanks Pete!  Where would we be without our boats to keep us off the streets....up to mischief no doubt!

Hi Omega, Probably hanging out in a Marina , trying to stowaway on someones Boat. I am greatful that I have the Boats

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi all.  I've just got a few more things to do to the internal accommodation before I permanently glue the deck on.  Well, Iast night I did one of those last jobs, which was to add a bit more life to the ship by adding a table cloth on the saloon table along with a slightly over scale fruit bowl on it!  Oh well....it's hard trying to keep it real at such a tiny scale.  I've also added bed sheets and pillow cases to the berths.  In an effort to make it more realistic, I've also tried to vary the colour of the bedsheets and also to make the sheets look like crew members have just gotten out of the berths and left the sheets turned over.  Ok, ok, ok, you may need to use a bit of imagination....

Next, I'll tackle the internal cabin doors.  

Hope you enjoy the photos.  Comments and feedback welcome, as always.

Enjoy your weeks, everyone.

post-7645-0-38851400-1408278804_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-73592300-1408278845_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21253400-1408278889_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-49009700-1408278923_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-56696500-1408278951_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-19414400-1408278990_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-21347300-1408279019_thumb.jpg

Hi all.  Well, there have been some significant moments in Ingomar's life over the past couple of weeks.  For instance - The hull's had a few more coats of paint and a tidy up. I've also added the portholes along the sides of the ship.  I think they look pretty good and certainly add some interest to the hull.

I've also added the internal cabin doors and glued the deck on permanently on.  No more turning back now!  If I've missed any details out, it's too late now.  

I've also thought it would be a nice idea to add an outdoor table (complete with a compass logo on it) on the deck (midship).  The idea for this would be, (insert 'imagination' here!) that Ingomar has moored off the coast of the French Riviera and has put the outdoor setting out so that the professional chef can put on a huge spread to entertain the owner and guests.  Now, as soon as I can figure out how to build the deck chairs to go with the table...I'll then add them as well.

I'm not sure that the table and chair is/was a good idea, so I'd be interested to know what you all think.  Should I keep it, or chuck it out?  It's not glued on, so it's no drama if I removed it. Thoughts anyone?

post-7645-0-22078100-1409058828_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-41074200-1409058867_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-60075700-1409058911_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76151200-1409058955_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-01057400-1409059320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

When you set the table, don't forget the ice bucket and champagne.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Omegaa, Beautiful work. very nice table. Looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The table looks nice and the compass is amazing, somehow it looks out of place to me.  If it was on a fully decked model with the Handrails and all the deck fittings then I would think that the scenario that you describe would look really cool, you could even add the place settings, and the bottle of Champagne.

But hey that's just my opinion, its your ship sir and you must do what you must do!

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi MTaylor, david, hexnut, Nils (Mirabella 61) and Pete.  Many thanks and nice to hear from you all!  Hope all is well in all of your shipyards.

Pete.  Thanks for your comment about the table.  Greatly appreciated!

Bob.  I think the idea of champers and the ice bucket would indeed be tantalising.  Just the right thing for cruising and enjoying a starry night under a light breeze.

Jeff (Chasseur).  Many thanks as well.  Wouldn't it be nice to own a real Ingomar!  I also share your dream of sailing a full size tall ship...it would certainly be amazing, no doubt.

Michael.  Many thanks for your comments about the table and the compass motif. I can certainly see where you're coming from and may well reconsider putting the table and chairs on the deck.  Perhaps I could include them on the display stand, as a sort of diorama.  

Here's a couple more photos, for interest sake.

Thanks all for taking the time to share your likes and comments!!!

post-7645-0-50404700-1409131047_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-59308300-1409131091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Omega, She looks Amazing , The Hull looks incredible, Beautiful work ,

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Perhaps I could include them on the display stand, as a sort of diorama.

I would agree that this would be a great place to display this aspect of the sort of recreational niceties of the rich and famous.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Omega,

I'm still on the "flat" part of the learning curve, but to make something so crisp and clean at that size amazes me. Are you going to fit sails? I usually wouldn't care but the profile earlier in the log showed a beautiful sail plan. Keep it up. You have found a new fan.

Best,

Steve

Hi Steve (Peris).  Many thanks for your very kind comments, which are greatly appreciated.  Part of the beauty of our hobby is that it brings joy and satisfaction, no matter what our level of expertise.  So, regardless of whether or not you're just starting out in the hobby, welcome on board!   

As far as the sails are concerned, I hadn't planned on putting them on because I think they may look a bit out of place with the deck and hull exposed.  That doesn't mean that I won't change my mind at some stage in the future.

Anyhow, thanks for stopping by and joining in on Ingomar's journey.

Edited by Omega1234

Personally, I love the idea of the table down on the display stand. 

Keep the beautiful lines of your ship uninterrupted, while down at the base a couple of chairs and a bottle of champagne in the ice bucket sit ready for a launch party...