18th Century LongBoat by jburchfield1 - Model Shipways - 1/4" scale - SMALL - 1st ever build

You will get it right we have faith in you.  Do you have any boxwood handy?  Apple or Pear would probably work as well.

David B

The instructions say that the shape of the traveler ring is on the plans but I can find it nowhere.

Did everybody just "eyeball it" from the instructions or what?

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Well, don't know if it's a good one, but got the second book for my library today.  Ship Modeling from Scratch by Edwin B. Leaf.

On the model front, got the gaff ready (FINALLY), the boom is ready, the bowsprit is mounted, and after I complete the mast bands, I'm ready to step the mast and start all that rigging.

Well, guys, terminating this build for now.

I was looking along the length of the boat earlier this week and saw something totally demoralizing.   :(

Can't understand how this happened but the thwarts look like they were installed by a blind man with no fingers.  I mean, some are high on the port side while some are high on the starboard side.  REALLY don't understand how this happened.  When I installed the sheer planks they were measured by marking the sheer line from the plans on each and every bulkhead.  Also, when I installed the risers I measured the appropriate distance down from the top of the plank on each bulkhead.  But still, somehow, they are totally wonky and each thwart is on a different slant across the boat.

Anyway, I've boxed this thing up.  Maybe get back to it later.

However, I've not given up on this hobby/craft. :dancetl6:  I ordered the Bounty Launch from Model Expo.  Just don't think I can try the longboat again right now.

So, I will be starting another build log in the next couple weeks. 

Pops,

Been there, done that, have the pile of firewood.  While you're waiting, give some thought to removing the thwarts and adjusting the risers.  The biggest obstacle would be glue type.  I hate to see you bagging this model as you've learned a lot on it and were doing a great job.   Someone around here once said: "It's only wood... it can be fixed."

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark

I'm not trashing it.  I'm still measuring/looking/thinking trying to figure out how this happened and may eventually try to repair it.

And your right, I learned an amazing amount of information on this build (thanks mostly to the people here) and know at least some of the things to watch out for on the next one.

I think part of my problem is size - that's why I went with the Bounty Launch.  It's not too costly, and triple the size, but basically the same boat.

I'm gonna try trenailing it too - all toward being able to do a good job on my first "full size" build.  I figure it's cheaper to learn on the "small" versions.

Pops, been there done that myself too. I almost gave up on mine a few times. Sometimes I needed to step back for a few days, gather my thoughts and then continue on.

You said. . ."I mean, some are high on the port side while some are high on the starboard side." That seems very odd. Is it possible that some thwarts are not touching the riser where they are glued? You might want to check that out.

As frustrating as it might be for you right now, I think that completing the build would still give you great satisfaction. I have enjoyed following your build log very much.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Did some more checking today on the "thwart issue" and found a couple problems.  

1.  I did indeed fail to get one of the thwart ends all the way down onto the riser,

2.  I apparently let one riser "lift up" or the other one "drift down" 1/64" toward midship.  I believe this is what caused the balance of the thwarts to slant to one side.

I'm blaming this on 1) inexperience 2) eyesight.  Although I have tri-focals I'm still having problems with measurements at the 1/64" scale.  Therefor, since I have no desire to quit ship modeling I have taken the following steps.

1.  Ordered the Bounty Launch which is larger than the longboat,

2.  Ordered a new magnifying visor which is more powerful than the current one and also (any maybe more importantly) lighted,

3.  Have drawn up plans for a larger shipyard that I will be building while waiting on items 1 and 2.

4.  Have decided that I will use the longboat as a "filler" project while working on the launch.

Will be start another build log when items 1-3 have been completed and I'm ready to start on the launch.

Pops, I have not experience with the Bounty Launch. but you might also be interested in the Pinnace. since it is designed by Chuck it has much the same design as the long boat and it is almost double in size and 1:24 in scale.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Pops,

Just a thought for you in placing the riser. Rather than relying on repeated measurements, having determined the distance it sits below the gunwale, cut a strip to that width and use this as a spacer for locating the riser. This way you'll be guaranteed to have the riser at the same height on both sides, and consistent along the length of each side. I used this technique in constructing my scratch-built boats at 1: 90 scale and it worked a treat.

Hope this helps.

Floyd, I'm using these smaller, less expensive boats as a method of learning the techniques of this craft.  I thought about the pinnace but figured the Bounty launch would give me some experience with POF as well as more experience planking.  I will probably do the pinnace if I don't feel competent enough to start the larger ships after finishing the launch and longboat.

Grant, excellent idea.  I will remember it for future use.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and likes.