GUNBOAT PHILADELPHIA by Steve.Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Steve:

On basswood it is a good idea to use a pre stain conditioner prior to staining. I have used it quite a bit on basswood and had good results. Otherwise the stain will go on blotchy. I use Minwax products and always have had good results.

Russ

post-1153-0-50856400-1408412593_thumb.jpg

Like this?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck:

No, they make a prestain conditioner that they recommend to use with their stains.

Russ

Edited by russ

Rgr, thanks

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck for that, yes your right on diff nations idea's for nailing planks.

I only know about British practise where double and single nails were used to hold planks down.

Double were joins between end of plank and singles between that.

Of course for Steves build, nailing the bottom base is a waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

Foxy :piratebo5:

Money is probably negligible, depending on what you use.  You could probably get away with pencil dots.  Time is the issue.  At this point he is probably raring to get started on the model...goofing around with this underside is less than desirous.

Of course, one could always use the underside to experiment with nail techniques....if one had a mind to.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Do remember Chuck. this is a hobby and Steve asked the question about nails in his build, the picture shown could have been the upper deck for all I know.

I will however refrain from commenting again on this build.

Sorry to have upset you. :(

foxy :piratebo5:

Everyone has different things about a model build that they like. I would nail the bottom planks, but that is only because it is that sort of work that I enjoy. Others have different interest points in a build and none are right or wrong. Steve will do what works best for him and gives him the greatest joy and satisfaction. That is what this is all about. Nuff said.

Russ

Foxy,

Hey, no...not upset.  Sorry if I gave that impression.  I am jumping from one swamp to the other, keeping the gators in check.  I pop in to MSW from time to time, so if I am a little curt, I apologize.  Keep the observations and comments coming.

Philadelphia is a strange bird...designed by army guys, built in a hurry with full knowledge that it would not last very long.  There are alot of things that don't make sense about it.  As mentioned, the instructions do not even call for planking the bottom.  I have addressed the reason why I chose to do it with Steve in an IM, and I will re-post that in my build log when I get to that point.  Depending on how it is mounted, it will not be widely viewed (if at all).. 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Everyone has different things about a model build that they like. I would nail the bottom planks, but that is only because it is that sort of work that I enjoy. Others have different interest points in a build and none are right or wrong. Steve will do what works best for him and gives him the greatest joy and satisfaction. That is what this is all about. Nuff said.

Russ

Indeed.  Again, my apologies if I came across the wrong way.  I have been IMing Steve for awhile, so there may be some things I say that we both understand in a different context that sounds different out of context.

For the record....by my rough calculation, that's about 1400 nails.

---ooops.  More like 900.  Piece o cake.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

You are all a great help to me and I appreciate it! It was fun planking the underside, even though it took a while which is good.I have no timetable and I know if I try to rush a step, Disaster will ensue! However, I wish Chuck would rush so I can swipe his ideas! Just kidding of course!

Seriously, thank you all so much! Keep the tips and advise coming!

Steve,

That's an interesting ship I have an eye on as well, however I am in a non-buy situation.

The admiral has stipulated no more kits until I have some done.

And yes there are some waiting in the yard.

Btw, from the other side of the Cascades, A warm welcome to NRG's MSW.

Is that a DW set?

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sorry to change the subject for a short time, I had a Red Maple 4 shell 8-piece 1976 Ludwig Classic while living in Sweden. Miss it tremendously...

Hailing from your starboard (Cheney, WA) :)

Enjoy the gig tonight. My son lives in Seattle and also have a friend there. Visiting Seattle from time to time.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

No problem Chuck, Its very easy to miss the topic as did I,  thinking it was the top/upper deck and not the base that Steve was talking about.

I have been modelling for near 40 years and still asking questions and still learning.

Good luck Steve on your build.

Foxy :piratebo5:

Thanks Foxy! Please keep advise coming! Here is the underside planked and stained. I really think Chuck is spot on with the idea to plank it. Anyway, I think it looks cool... I used Minwax wood conditioner. It went on almost like water, so a little goes a long way. The stain is Minwax Golden Pecan. Planks were basswood. The strip representing the keel was.. yeah I am crazy... Balsa wood. I kinda liked the contrast. Now I go back to the plans and resume the build..... 

post-13761-0-17055700-1408603843_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Looks good.  You can see the difference between the center strip and the rest.  The caulking shows up nicely;  its there but not too overpowering.

How do you like that Golden Pecan?  On Philly 1 I used GP for interior planking and regular Pecan for exterior.  It provided a little contrast, but I am not sure if it really made a diff.  I like playing with colors, so I had both sitting around.  I have a can of Fruitwood I am going to experiment with this time...maybe on the  wales.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Bart,

let the folks at Model Expo know.  They will replace it.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Thanks ! So the problem I had was the whole piece bowed! I'm thinking the wood conditioner? I sandwiched it between to boards and weighted it with a heavy tool box overnight. This morning it is back to flat. Question: How do you prevent that from happening? I was a little surprised..

I think it was the balsa wood.  <_<

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I am going to wait until I have more structure in place in order to avoid the curling.  AT LEAST keel piece and ribs---probably full exterior planking.

Okay....you responded while I was responding..so I have to catch up.

I used a satin finish on my Philly 1.  I will let you know when I get home....but I would wait until you are done the whole hull.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Yes, I think th ekeel and frames are the next step.  That will help stabilize.

I don't know if there is a real need to do anything special with the underside except NOT placing it on a hard scratchy surface.  I don't think I finished the underside until I was well done with the whole hull structure...not just planking.  I think I gave it another coat of stain, just for gaffaws.  However, do as you see fit.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild