San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Yep, paper backed by two-sided tape. I found if I laid my strip of paper on the two-sided tape it was easier to cut such small pieces. The tape gave the paper more stability, and about the correct amount of thickness. For the color I just blended gold and black paint together until I had something that looked less gilded.

For the door pulls I just wrapped some brass wire around the end of a drill bit and cut it into rings.

I think Russ is right though, I need to round off those corners some. Maybe I can still modify it as it is since the poly will be completely dry when I get home from work tonight. If not, well sandpaper should take off both the poly and the paper and I can make some new hinge plates with rounded corners.

Sjors, I think this is much more than a virus...was dreaming all last night about how to make my own windows...I think I have come up with a solution...I just need to find some yellowed (so it looks like there is a light on) film of some sort, and then I can do the leaded strips using thread, probably dipped in a gun metal colored paint.   Now just to find the proper film.

My next major hiccup is finding either a replacement piece for the frame of the upper gun port, or figuring out how to make my own frames. One of my dogs...I am betting the pug seems to have eaten one of the frames :( I can do a lot of things, but digging through dog poo looking for an 8mm square metal piece is not exactly in my wheelhouse!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn,

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice some dignity for the sake of your model ship! Just think of the sentimental value you will have for that one gun port!

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

HAHAHA, NO WAY Aaron....I will find another way!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Haha! Robbyn, your thread is one of the most interesting reads on this forum! Full of obstacles. twists and unexpected stabbings! And this latest caper - who would of thought that the pug did it. Wait a minute...didn't you say you also had a cat? It would be just like a cat to set the pug up as a Patsy for this. While you are busy at work, the cat is batting the missing piece around in a rousing game of kitchen hockey. The game doesn't end until the piece is beyond paw's reach beneath the stove or refrigerator. I have seen this kind of thing before...

On the other hand, if this truly is the work of the pug, the unique stomach acids of the pug may provide the ultimate etched patina to the missing part. This could lead to future posts of gravy covered gun ports! :D

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

OMG Buck, what a riot!!! Thanks for the laugh :D

Nope, can't blame it on the cat, all the cats are outside. It is just pug...he thinks he is a vacuum cleaner and anything on the floor is edible!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn, Just getting caught up with your build. I agree with the others, your hinges look really good. Your almost making me wish I never bothered with the expense of photo etching. 

For your yellow film, have you tried a photography store? Most of them still carry gel filters in all sorts of colors. Or, you mentioned you work at a collage, maybe try the auditorium/theater dept?

Kitty Kitchen Hockey. HA! have to remember that term.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Couldn't get on the site last night, but all is not lost, I did manage to get the rest of my rubbing strakes installed instead, Whew!, looks like they are in the proper places this time!. Now I am back to where I was before the miscut gun ports and the hand injury....Finally moving forward!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sam, actually went over the art dept. Their suggestion was a clear transparency, of which I have several in my office, and a light coat of golden oak stain. Instructor thought that would be the best color to simulate candlelight from inside the cabin. I will be heading home soon to test that theory.  Had forgotten about the gels for the lights in the theater department, but that might definitely be an option if the stained transparency doesn't work.

I reworked the hinges again last night...I am determined to get them right!!! Or maybe I am just delaying the cutting of those gun ports in my hull...can't imagine why I would hesitate lol.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Yeah, this is one of the benefits of not having a dog !!

I am not sure but a good model ship supplier that sells ships decorations separately for the scratch builder might be your best bet for a replacement.

Steve

you could contact your suplier or artesania latina for a replacement gunport

i had a look on their site  and found this one . they have it 2 other sizes as well

8206.jpg PUERTA CAÑON 7x7 MM
Ref. 8206

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Robbyn,

I am wondering how stain is going to work on the transparencies. Most stains are designed to work with a porous surface. You might need to stain a full sheet and let it start to set up then use a 1.5-2"dry brush and a rag to wipe it off to the level you want. It would be process similar to glazing a stain. You seal your wood, then stain on top using the the brush to pick up stain and wipe it off the brush with the rag. brush the whole page up and down wiping the brush off regularly and then left and right. As the stain starts to dry you should start to get a even tone. It might work for this, it may also just pool up on the acetate. A better option may be to try some paint or tint and an air brush if you have one. A mixture of raw sienna and burnt sienna might be a starting point. Maybe 3 parts burnt to 1 part raw sienna. There is a company called TintsAll that sells 1 oz tubes of UTC tints for a buck or two at paint stores and the big box home improvement stores. Mix it in to some naptha or mineral spirits. I have used oil based stains to do this on cabinets once or twice. It worked OK, not great, just ok. The stain takes so long ot dry on a smooth non-porous surface that it usually collects dust in the air and any on the brush. With the size of your window glass that may not matter.

Have fun! I am very curious as to how it will turn out.

What size gun ports do you need?  I have two that look to be identical to the ones adriake posted, they are 11.8x13.4mm. They are yours if you want them.

Sam

Edited by src

I can find the gun ports Adrieke posted, I need just the frames for the upper gun ports. These particular frames have no hinges or anything as they were not designed to ever have a door on them. Everywhere I look, if I find the frames, they tell me they can't get them anymore.

I will have to measure the frames when I get home tonight, had no access to the site last nite so did not see anyone's messages to get that answer to you earlier.

If I have to, I think I have figured out a way to design and create my own frames, it seems so far everything I come up with in my sleep works very well. I will just have to get creative with making myself a 8mm square jig and a mounted blade tip to do the interior cutting. I know I am not explaining that right lol. I can see it perfectly in my head, just have to get it out there in physical form so I can take a pic and show you all what I mean.

Tim, the stain on acetate is going so-so atm. I will be working with it some more tonight..I hope...my other half is making some grumbling sounds about how I spend every waking minute of my day either working on, or thinking about my model....I think he may be regretting buying this for me for Christmas...I better not dare tell him it also consumes every one of my sleeping moments as well.

I can't tell exactly why he is grumbling...I work right next to his recliner while he zones out in front of the TV. Think maybe he resents the fact I haven't given up, even after all the mishaps, I believe he thought I would chuck it after a couple weeks and things would go back to "normal"!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn,

It looks that you are moving to the dark side.

You can see it in your head and you make it….

I see other things in my head and I can NOT make it!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Well I have been busy the last few days, but actual progress is very slow :(

I am continuing the rework of my doors. I decided they needed a door jam of sorts, so I bent some of my mahogany strips and glued it to the doors.

post-127-0-30476500-1363816907.jpg

Then I spent some time sanding the jams to the proper depth (at least eyeballing a depth that looks like it will work)

post-127-0-00045000-1363816932.jpg

Today I worked on installing my hinges...I cheated and found some tubes in the jewelry making section of Walmart...i think they look okay...better than I could probably form out of thin brass anyway.

post-127-0-65655000-1363816938_thumb.jpg

made new door pulls, again jewelry making wire that I wrapped around a drill bit, then cut into rings

post-127-0-15468000-1363816947_thumb.jpg

Also completed assembly of the stern balcony...talk about a pain in the butt!

post-127-0-58073100-1363816958.jpg

And of course installed my rubbing strakes...correctly this time I might add :D  I have also put on a coat of clear satin poly...I am tired of the mahogany veneer splintering and chipping on me every time I touch it. I am hoping this will make it more stable.  I still have a lot of work to do, but I will let that poly dry for 48 hours before I attempt gluing anything to it. In the meantime I will continue work on the windows I am making. I still need to make those brass hinge plates for the doors, but what I ordered to make them out of will not be delivered until Saturday. so if I finish the windows I think I can start making the tracks that go over the rubbing strakes while the poly dries.

post-127-0-27981900-1363816970.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

Nice work on the doors. I think the mahogony strips give the doors some depth and definition. The hinges look good. Nice work.

Russ

Robbyn,

Love those hinges and the jams too. Looks like the doors should actually open and your pulls look pretty similar to mine just probably a lot more work than snipping from costume jewelry. :)

All in all, while it is only a door... I think the dark side is fun and I like it there. First doors, wooden crows nest are next, then.... who knows. :o

Randy

I think you improvised well on the hinges. Making note of that idea.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff, if you are ever in the jewelry making section of a hobby store you would be amazed at the items there that you can look at and say to yourself..."hey I can use this to make this ship part"!

Randy, what can I say, the dark side is calling lol! I too will need to make crow's nests...but i am a long way away from that yet!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn,

Did you stain the railing on your poopdeck ebony?  Did you put any planks on it before hand?  I was working on mine last night, planking all the little pieces with cherry and staining them.

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

I know what you mean Robbyn. I just bought 4 spools of jewelry/craft wire for use on my models; black, silver, copper, and brass. I'm sure I can find a use for all of it. I'm using the black wire as rigging on my gunports.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Aaron, yes I stained the rail ebony. I really like that contrast. I only planked the deck part of the balcony, with the included mahogany strips. Left the post the natural color they came in.

Jeff, yep, I have all that wire too....still thinking I might use it to fashion my chain plates with it, as I don't like the looks of the heavy brass strip ones.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn,

Your build is coming along nicely. Every moment you spend perfecting your skill will pay huge dividends in the quality of your build. A martini here and there along the way might help relieve the tedium.

Keep on you are almost there.......

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Robbyn,

Nice work. Its very satisfying pull off something you have never done before.

As for the spousal grumbling, I ran into the same situation here. To keep the peace I committed to one weeknight reading with her rather than building. Worked for us. Of course that does not include "Datenight Friday" Maybe a kit for his birthday?

Sam

Sam, I am thinking he needs a kit, we could build side by side and bond over it! Maybe I will look at one for him to do, problem is his tastes seem to run to the really expensive kits when he looks at them!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hi Robbyn!

I was fooling around with some shellac tonight and did a quick test on a piece of a cellophane wrapping to see if the color might work for your windows. The drop on the "77" is garnet shellac from the jar on the left and the drop on the "66" is blonde shellac from the jar on the right. The blonde is too clear I think. The glob to the left of the garnet shellac is varnish and it was way too thick. I put a drop of thinner in the middle of it and it is too clear and still too thick. If you would like to experiment with some garnet shellac, send me a pm and I'll mail you enough shellac flakes to mix up a cup.

post-218-0-05069400-1363843170_thumb.jpg

P.S. -I hope your other half can get into ship building with you!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hey Robbyn I don't know if this would be helpfull or not but I posted consctruction pics of the replica Endeavour made in Perth in 1993, http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1207-endeavour-replica-construction-pics/

If nothing else you can see just how woefully inaccurate the rudder hinges supplied with a kit are.

It might help with the line of external timbers though.

Steve

Buck, thank you very much for the offer...I did find some old gels for the spotlights over in the defunct theatre department, I played around with them today and think they will work even better.

Steve, thanks for that link. I saved the site because i found it fascinating to see it in real size like that, thank you very much.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Buck, thank you very much for the offer...I did find some old gels for the spotlights over in the defunct theatre department, I played around with them today and think they will work even better.

Steve, thanks for that link. I saved the site because i found it fascinating to see it in real size like that, thank you very much.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station