San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Work is progressing, the rubbing strakes are installed and I am working on fashioning my tracks at the moment. I did not like the looks of the instruction book tracks, so I am modifying the design to something more visually satisfying. Will post pics when I have them ready for viewing.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Boy this last week I have been busy every day on my build but it seems actual progress has been extremely slow.

I really struggled with the tracks....learned a valuable lesson about how wood that has ebony stain on it does not glue together well at all!!!!  had the tracks built, they looked great, but when I tried to attach them to the ship all the layers fell apart. I think I reworked them at least 5 times!!!  I am still not real satisfied with them, but on the ship they will serve their purpose. I wish I had some stock on hand to have just carved the tracks from a single piece, but I don't and no access to any around here. I just keep telling myself, next time.

post-127-0-65464700-1364343210_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-97188000-1364343223_thumb.jpg

I also put another coat of stain and poly on the stern balcony....it is now ready to be installed on the ship

post-127-0-78300900-1364343250_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-14015200-1364343234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shaz

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn, mail order is your friend.

There is a place here called Modellers Shipyard and their website lists all the timbers and dimensions they have available and they post every day, I am sure there would be a few such places there and they advertise on this website.

I would also imagine that it would be a fair bit cheaper in the U.S. than here too.

You will be able to order whatever individual pieces your heart desires.

You won't find the timbers you want locally but online there will be plenty.

Steve

Robbyn,

Are you making sure you have raw wood when you glue your assemblies up? That is most likely why your tracks fell apart. When I prestain anything I always make sure to mask off areas to be glued or figure out a way to scrap/sand off the stain where I need too. I am finding on something small like a model ship that can be a challenge. there are several places I have opted to glue the pieces on and mask around them on my build. just an FYI for your next build/step. 

How is the hand coming along, looks like your back up to speed.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Your doing a fantastic job, I love the way your hull turned out. 

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

I agree with Sam about gluing up raw wood to raw wood. I think the finished product looks good. It has a nice contrast to it. Good work.

Russ

Robbin,

Another newbie on your log. I love what you are doing. It's more like kit bashing!!! Hope your hand healed well and is not giving you any difficulties. Looking forward to your inventive progress

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hey Robbyn,

She's looking good and coming right along.

I'm sort of right behind you now... I finished my hull planking and have attached my rubbing strakes... funny story tho... I put the 5mm on instead of the 3mm.. :o , it wasn't until it was done that I realized my error and I swear I checked and double checked everything but once I thought those were the strakes... well, in my mind they were. So, they stay and my problem is rethinking which wood goes where now that some is used and gone. Oh well... I'll look at it as a different version of kit bashing. :P I might need that Modelers Shipyard too.

FYI-on a different note, I didn't oil my hull yet but I did do an experiment... tung oil, even with a poly coat (Maloof poly tung oil finish) still allows glue to penetrate the fibers and it sticks as well as raw. One caveat tho... the test was done under pressure (clamps) and there is no way I can get that same pressure on all parts of the ship so I agree with Sam and try to keep completely raw wood available.

Randy

Hi Robbyn if you where trying to attach a stained item to a polyed item it's not going to adhere properly as mentioned by other's. Stained wood will adhere to stained wood just not to polyed. You can take a knife and remove the poly from the area your trying to adhere to, or just mare it to get a better adhesion. Just my two cents.

Tim

Current builds: San Fran II AL, Santa Maria AL

Finished Builds: Sharpie Shooner Midwest

Robbyn,

Another option stick stained woods on top of eachother, is to use a (tiny) dowel/treenail/nail etc

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks everyone for your input. Modeller's shipyard in Australia is my friend. When I decided to double plank and needed timbers I ordered from them as Hobby Mills here in the US was shut down for their annual winter break. I like the availability of the wood from MS, and found them very wonderful to work with, and very quick to ship. The only major thing with MS is of course the extra $30 for shipping to the US. I did do it when I ordered all my planking strips because it was a fairly decent quantity I ordered, and I needed the strips so I could start my build.

I have lived by mail order for most of my adult life, was doing that 25 years ago when internet shopping was still new, but it was the only way to get the things I wanted when I was stationed in Germany.

I just did not want to spend $2 for a chunk of wood stock, and $10 or more to have it mailed to me this time, plus if I am being honest, I did not want to wait for it to reach me :P

I have a list of items I will need on hand for my next build, and when it gets closer to the time to begin it I will order everything all at once, plus some extra things that are nice to have on hand, such as varying widths of planks so that I can correctly insert stealers and drop planks, and some of those more common dimensions of wood that many models use in case I come up short, not to mention extra balsa.

Yes Sjors, it seems the ends of my hinge plates are a bit oversized, but when in reality that little pointy part is only a couple of mm wide, my old tired eyes just cant seem to make them go any smaller and have any recognizable shape to them at all. So, I have decided I can live with these as they are flaws and all. :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Nice job on the doors. I really like the framing, it gives it depth which really makes it appear more real. The hinges turned out even better this time, they appear better proportioned and the bolts appear more pronounced. They sure make that crappola piece the kit includes look BAD.

My wife Tammy works in surgery and I had her look over your hand stiching. She said its normal to have to open that type of injury that much. Of course she went into what type of stitch it was and blah blah ....somewhere with all the OR lingo I was in the clouds... but she did say it should heal up fine.

Anyway it looks like your healed well enough to be building back at speed. I really like the contrasting black strakes against the dark wood also, including the balconey rail. I wonder how it would look with darker spindles?

I originally picked the SFII as my first build, I'm glad now it was back ordered, so I cancelled. I've been struggling along on a little Swift Pilot boat and am amazed at the progress you continue to make, even with all the blips from being a first build and crazy accidents. Personally I find overcoming the problems one of the most satisfying parts of building. This hobby force one to think outside of the box. can't wait to see the candle lite windows.

Johanne, thank you for the kind words. Yes, stitches never look very pretty!

Okay, the last two evenings have been filled with ship building details....it amazes me how I can set there for 4 hours, and as the hubby says only accomplish gluing on a couple of sticks. Lol the man just doesn't get it!

Yes, I know...much of it looks very rough...there is still some light sanding, and filing to do in places, as well as staining. But I have learned to stain AFTER gluing!!

Bow details were added, and my new door installed, I did carve through the planking so I could set my door "inside" the wall, rather than just gluing to the outside. I felt it looked more real that way.

Sjors, I also trimmed down the ends of those hinge plates. It was easier to do once they were firmly affixed to the door with a light coat poly.

post-127-0-35731200-1364566527_thumb.jpg

Finished installing the last of the tracks. 

Yes, many will notice the lower gun ports have not yet been cut. After the last debacle I think I am a bit nervous to cut through my hull again. :huh:  So I will wait until I am absolutely sure everything is where it is supposed to be. If I had to strip her down and replank her again, I am pretty sure she would just get thrown in the wood stove!!!

Others may notice my little tape band-aid on that piece (???)  that sticks out from the bow. I got clumsy when moving the model from my lap to it's foam cradle and clipped it on the edge of the drafting table...of course it broke.  :angry:  I have glued it twice...but looking ahead at what has to be attached to it I don't believe the fragile glue is going to work at all. I will probably have to remove this piece and use it as a template to cut myself a new one :(

post-127-0-22456800-1364566661_thumb.jpg

Added the other little details to both sides above the rubbing strakes.

The stern balcony  ( I don't know the correct term) is not glued on at this point, just a dry fit to see the strakes are all where they should be.

post-127-0-98163500-1364566822_thumb.jpg

Worked for hours on the stern. Got the rudder attached, that turned out to be easier than I expected. Added the chains, decorations, door and windows.

No candlelight in the windows at this point. The gels I had look great when placed on the window. However, when glued to the surface of the window, the glue turns the gels cloudy.

I am going home to Nebraska to see my grandbabies this weekend and celebrate the oldest's 3rd birthday, so I will make a run up to the hobby store and see if I can find another solution. That is why I have not yet glued on the rear balcony, I need the access to those windows so I can get them the way I want them to be.

post-127-0-88492800-1364567195_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-06583300-1364567213_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I also want to give a big shout out to TIm who very kindly mailed me his upper gun port frames to replace the ones my dog decided to eat. It is the kindness of members like that who make this site the greatest around!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looking really good, Robbyn.  For gluing in the gels, you may want to take a look at Popeye's build log for the Lobsie Twins - he lists something there that he uses that doesn't fog the insert.

Have a great trip to Nebraska and try not to spoil the kids too much...

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Looking good Robbyn.

I think the doors look super. I thought about carving them into the wall too but haven't... yet. I like the look that you got so... maybe. With all these deviations my boat will never get done :P

I get your apprehension about the gun ports... I wish I had some insanely brilliant saying or words of wisdom for you but... really. I got nothin'! :( except you know it'll go right this time for sure :D

Have fun with the fam.

Randy

Very nice Robbyn,

What kind of glue are you using?

And that things are broken was not my fault this time…..

Before some people are blaming me!

Enjoy your stay at Nebraska (sounds to me as the end of the world)

And give those little ones a big Dutch hug!

And what about your stern balcony you can also call them balcony at the stern…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Looking really good, Robbyn.  For gluing in the gels, you may want to take a look at Popeye's build log for the Lobsie Twins - he lists something there that he uses that doesn't fog the insert.

Have a great trip to Nebraska and try not to spoil the kids too much...

wayne, thanks for the heads up. I looked through popeye's build and found it. It is called Testors clear parts cement and window maker. I will be looking for it at the hobby stores this weekend!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Sjors, I can always depend on you to make me laugh!!! I like it, "balcony at the stern"

Nope, no one can blame you for the break lol.

I tried wood glue last night before I went to bed...it fell right off this morning. I have reattached with CA, so I will let it sit all weekend and see how it looks when I get back from the "end of the world".

Actually, I have to say northwest Kansas where I live right now is more of the end of the world....dusty, dirty, and when there is no rain the only thing that wants to grow is yucca plants, and sandburrs (stickers). I can only dream of a nice green, lush yard like I had in Nebraska!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Buck , thanks a lot! The encouragement means everything!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Its looking good and lots of additional work done, Insetting the doors again helped with the realism.

...and WOW, you can manage to get 2 sticks per 4 hours, takes me twice that long.

Also Kudos to Tim for the gun port rescue.

Its funny, when me a Tam were dating (1982) her pug ate a diamond necklace I had bought her. They (her and her sister) did go exploring and found it 2 days later.

IIRC I think they boiled it and soaked it in alcohol before she wore it again. The crazy things those lovable K9's do, but I couldnt live with out mine.

Looking at that back stern balcony shot makes me wonder what it would look like with the balconey deck black and the spindles the boat colour.... Sorry cant help imagining. I really like the contrasts you've chosen.

Oh by the way you may have stated and I missed it, what did you pin the strakes/wales with? they look like brass nails but can't tell. Anyway I really like that contrast it really makes that strake look great.

Nice progress Robbyn, looking good.

Yes it is always better to inset doors and the like so they don't just look stuck on. Good on you for going above and beyond.

Steve

Robbyn nice progress :)

are you able to drill some holes in the broken of part and use a dowel to keep it together ?

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Adrieke, I didn't think about inserting a dowel, that just might work, thanks for that suggestion!

TMC, yes I did use the brass nails on the rubbing strakes, I really liked the contrast of the gold against the ebony. hmmm ebony balcony deck.....I was thinking about painting the spindles in gold.....I will have to think about both those ideas.

I cant wait to get to the model store tomorrow...I am sure I will see  some things there I will have to have, and pick up a few more ideas for extras to add. :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station