San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Robbyn, Look good with putting on the rails that sit atop the bulwarks, it does not match the drawing  :(  :(

post-13-0-79184400-1364915093_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-18180100-1364915087_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-46067500-1364915106_thumb.jpg

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

Robert, thanks for the heads up, when I get home from work tonight I will check that out and see what doesn't line up as it is supposed too. Seems there is always something on this particular model that doesn't line up quite the way the pics and drawings show it should :angry:

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I was just looking at robert1965's last post of the AL instructions and the pictured build.

Is that your build robert? have you gotten a log up yet and I'm missing it? one must keep up on one's SF logs, especially if considering one in the future. Either way I hate the AL kit but love the Ship and after seeing her bashed a bit, I know I'll one day be building her. Its just a shame so much must be replaced. If its not up, we'd love to see it.

re: to the AL vs roberts

It's really amazing the differences between the instruction and the kit. For example, besides the rail issue, the strake that runs under the shield hits the AL at the bottom of the gun ports where roberts splits the gun port evenly (which is more aesthetically pleasing), was that a bash or a difference in the kit? It also looks as though you shortened the spindles to make the curve fit.

I often wonder since the SF has went through 2 incarntions the 1st double plank then the SFII with the single plank if the instructions are old and need updating. At least there are pictures, my AL swift has 4 1/2 pages written. The blueprint are much more handy and MSW is the most handy.

It's easy David,

When you get up in the morning, just put a few planks into hot water.

Then make some coffee and breakfast.

Go on the forum to see what's going on.

Answer a few posts, say something stupid or funny ( it depends on your mood if you sleep well)

After 2 or 3 hours go to the workshop and bend your planks…...

It works just fine!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

TMC the SF has gone through several reincarnations. the original dbl planked, then the SFII single plank, but within that single plank they have updated many of the pieces. For example, the metal life boat has changed considerably as have the additions they have made to go with the life boat, the gun carriages, ladders, and gratings are now wood and have to be constructed instead of die cast. These are all improvements, as each of those parts was constantly being bashed, however, the instruction book has not been updated at all. Mine still shows all those parts as metal in the parts list, and there are no instructions for assembly of any of these new wooden parts that will all require assembly. I am guessing at least 2/3 of the photos in the instruction manual are those of the original SF. About the only changed photos are those of the "beak" assembly on the bow, since they completely re-did that section. In the original it was all one piece. The bulwark extended out to form that beak, but it was fragile and there were lots of complaints about breakage. Now the bulwarks stop at the forward deck, and the "beak" portion comes separate and has to be assembled.

Progress is moving along, but no pics to post as it is very slow. I did get the bend I needed in my limber boards to put a cap on my bulwarks. Now I am working on constructing the railings. very time consuming and tedious little bits. I thought it was funny last night when the other half came over to look and in a shocked voice said "you have to make all those railings". I just looked at him and laughed and said "remember, bundle of sticks and strings". At the pace I am going, perhaps I will finish the railings by the weekend and be able to show some progress.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Thanks Robert. I have decided that much of my problem is my impatience! 

Wait until you start rigging the ship, then you will have to be patient. B)

post-13-0-82298500-1365010080_thumb.jpg

Edited by robert1965

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

Is that your build robert? have you gotten a log up yet and I'm missing it? one must keep up on one's SF logs, especially if considering one in the future. Either way I hate the AL kit but love the Ship and after seeing her bashed a bit, I know I'll one day be building her. Its just a shame so much must be replaced. If its not up, we'd love to see it.

Yes it is my build, the ship is not finished yet.

I am rigging the ship right now.

There is no build log of this ship on MSW, I have already 2 build logs on 2 dutch forums.

The reason that I have not build log on this forum that my  English is very poor. :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow: 

Maybe you have something to build my report in the Netherlands.
Here are a lot of photo's of my San Francisco 2, I'm a little further with the construction of the ship and maybe you can still use tips.

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel

Hey Robbyn, Thats what I figured, everytime they change something they dont change the instructions. To me I kind of like the challange of a certain degree of difficulty but there is a limit. Its hard to order as I wonder what parts I'll get as there are so many versions or incarnations of change. But then the Swift seems to be the same.

hello Robert

Thanks for the post of your build Logs, MSW or elsewhere it is good to see your work. A very beautiful build you have created...and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, with no translation needed. I like the changes you made, for example the redo of the launch, the crows nests, the resizing of the belaying pins and you have some very perfectly tied ratlines on your shrouds. She's a very beautiful example of just what can be done with the inferior AL kit with some bashing and rebuilding of many aspects. thanks for sharing.

with the AL endeveour to instructions show how to assemble the pumps from wooden pieces with only the handle cast while they put precast pumps with the kit which btw is the same as was in the virginia kit  which is a different scale

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I fear we will find this more and more as manufacturers find ways to cut costs by using generic parts across the range on a "that'll do" basis. We had this discussion with the rudder hinges earlier.

I wonder if there is one manufacturer who will stay true to scale, they would cost more but be worth it.

Steve

someone suggested this before :

they should bring out their models in parts :

something like hull, deck furniture(basic but right scale) ,rigging,sails,display.

you can buy each individual but also have all parts in a full model box

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

A bit of progress, limber boards are on now, and columns attached.

Seems like there was a lot of sanding, filing and shaping needed on these and they took forever :( 

I had to redo them 3 times before I could get everything the way I wanted it.

Ended up drilling a small hole through the limber board and into the bulwark, plus through the columns. Then I slid a piece of wire into these holes to hold the columns where I wanted them. I really need to invest in a micro sized drill press :P

I have the railings attached now as well, but no pics of the finished product yet and is is all still tightly held down with tape until the glue dries. I deviated from the instructions and historical accuracy for my railings as things do not line up correctly on the SF 2, and because I want to keep going with my theme of ebony hand rails.

post-127-0-44698300-1365281880_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-11167300-1365281898_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn,

I see your "thing at the front of the boat" is broken, don't fret mine broke too when I was making it.  The build looks good, I see you put nails in your rubbing strakes, did they come with the kit?  They look like a silverish color and I do not recall any in my kit.  

Have you cut the new gunports yet? :)

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Aaron HAHAHAHA, no! I have NOT cut the gun ports yet. I just can't bring myself to do it yet after the last fiasco!!!

Yes, I used the brass nails that came with the kit, must just be the bad lighting that is making them look silver.

Stupid thing up front???? I haven't dared look under the tape in over a week to see if the CA glue is going to hold it or not, I just know there is a lot of stuff that gets added to that little piece so I am hoping it wont be too fragile to hold everything.

I think when I am done I need to encase this entire ship in something....something like liquid plexiglass that will dry crystal clear that way I don't have to worry about the bits falling off in 6 months or so. I wonder if there is something like that on the market .?.?.?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looking good Robbyn. I lost count of how many times I've broke something or knocked something off a model.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Railings are all on....still some staining to do, only have one coat on now but I will let it dry overnight.

Don't think I can put off the gun ports any longer. The "beak" is next, and I am worried that will just make more fragile things to break if I am moving the ship about a lot to cut those ports in.

Glue them to the hull??? Would that be acceptable? I hadn't even thought about that, and no, I am not making mine so they open anyway. I will have to consider that one...

I am just so happy I finally got some time to actually sit and work on her today, this past week has been frustrating with way too many demands on my time, and I was getting really frustrated with not being able to build.

5 more weeks and school is out!!! then I can devote some real time to the build :dancetl6:

post-127-0-61815100-1365302812_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Did you drill through the beak and dowell it yet Robbyn?

Hi Robbyn,

That look as a real beauty to me!

Don't get to nervous about broken things…..

It's wood and you can repair it.

It's not fun but most of the time, it looks better after the repair.

I think dark forces are involved with that.

Something don't like it and it have to break, so it's good when you repair it.

Make this any sense????????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Tilt the ship to the side and dry fit the gun ports in there respective positions. See if you like how they look. If it looks good glue them in place. Proper or not, it is your ship and can do with what you like. I didn't find anything wrong with doing mine that way and actually thing it turned out nice. Besides kept me from carving out the holes which I know you don't wanna do. :)

Tim

Current builds: San Fran II AL, Santa Maria AL

Finished Builds: Sharpie Shooner Midwest

Bedford, no I haven't been brave enough to peek under the band aid yet, but after drilling through all those columns I know I am up to the task. I figure I will have to do that today as well.

Sjors, you made perfect sense to me as always :D

Joe, ouch!!! Yes, I was rather lucky that I didn't cause some serious permanent damage. My other half keeps telling me there is no way he will let me try a scratch build...seems to think me+power tools (saws) are NOT a good idea :huh:

Tim, you are right, this is my build so if I want to just glue, I can! Thanks for reminding me of that fact!

TMC I know I am definitely counting down the days!!! I swear I don't really come alive until summer break. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, I like having an impact on student's lives, if even just for a semester. I think I really miss teaching at the high school level though, there I could develop a real lasting relationship with "my kids" and really have a lasting impression on them. College is much different in that respect. But wherever I teach summers still mean the same thing...time on the golf course, time in the garden, time to soak up the sun, time to hit the road on the motorcycle, time to rejuvenate my soul!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks great. I am really look forward to following your progress as I have one of these up in the closet.

Hi Robbyn,

She's looking great and you and everyone else is right... she's your ship and whatever changes or alterations you make they are completely up to you.... cut the holes, don't cut the holes... all you. :)

For me this new-found hobby has brought me back to woodworking and I like the challenge of just about every aspect of this build. I've made mistakes...(such as using a different size of timber on the hortizontal rubbing strakes) and my fake holes are ever so slightly off... so what... I adapted and changed my vertical rubbing strakes to go with the screw-up. (pics soon) My San Fran will definitely be different by golly :D

And I learned something in the process. The next build, and I hope there are many, will benefit from those errors. Kind of the point I think... :10_1_10:

Randy

Geoffery, run very fast away from that kit now lol.

Just kidding, she is her own kind of fun, that's for sure.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn,

If and when you use Ebony make sure you wear a mask the dust is big time bad. And try and do any sanding away from the ship the dam dust makes a mess. If you can tape off everything around where you have to sand so none of the dust gets onto any of the other wood, it will go into the pores and make a dam mess of it. Best of luck. Took the other bangers off and it looks like crap but at least the pain is backing off. Got to remember to take the cable for the phone so I can upload a pictures or two of the hand for you.. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Wacko, now I understand why I seem to get all plugged up and sick after sanding. Guess I should buy some masks before I sand any more. Thanks for the heads up.

TMC PINK PINK PINK PINK lol. Pink is my favorite color, although I am just young enough that the only album I really know is The Wall. I got to see them when they played at the wall in Berlin in 1990. Loved it! That was a real emotional time for sure, I felt at the time, when the wall first fell, that I was front and center of history being made! I was stationed in Crailsheim, Germany at the time and I can still remember watching the news coverage as the first trains full of east-Germans came into west Germany as free souls for the first time ever. It was an amazing time!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

TMC the castles are something to see that is for sure. I loved living in Germany, at least in Southern Bavaria where I was. Friendly people, laid back atmosphere, and history up the ying yang. My favorite place to visit is Rotenberg od de touber. A very old city with one of the few old city walls that was untouched by the wars. you can walk around the walls and see the historic cannons, and arrow slots for the guards. The moat has been filled in and turned into a park area, but the stones of the city themselves just exude history as you walk the streets, it is an amazing place to visit!

It has been a productive day today. I kind of made a compromise on the lower gun ports. Since I have that extra layer of planking, I just cut through the 2 layers down to the basswood and that was deep enough to seat the frames properly. This way I didn't have to cut all the way through my hull.

This worked well and I was able to get all the gun ports installed, added the ladders on the sides and (I don't think you can tell in the bad lighting of the picture) painted the columns gold. Not thrilled with the gold color, but I will leave it mostly because I am just tired of messing with them.

working on cat davits and other little pieces for the bow, and then I can fix my boo boo and move on to the next item :D

post-127-0-97917900-1365383038_thumb.jpgpost-127-0-97917900-1365383038_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-39855700-1365383050_thumb.jpg

post-127-0-50475300-1365383059_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station