San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

Hope all my suggestions arent making decision making more difficult. As an analytical chemist its my nature to ask why or what if. Plus Since I one day plan to build a SF I constantly have ideas bouncing around in my head. The brass nail and black strakes I'm stealing for when I get around to the SF though :dancetl6: .

I never have really liked the stark white (is it boxwood or holly) of the rail spindles on the SF's. But thats just me. Gold, hum. I wonder what gold leaf would look like. I got a small sizing pen and 6 small gold leaf sheets at hobby lobby last week for under $9 which I plan on using for gold leafing the name on the transom of one build. Black and gold is a great color combo, maybe not historic but sometimes I'm more into what I like then historic.

I'd say Adrieke, is right on the using a dowel to repair the breakage. That extra reinforcement is much stronger then a PVA or CA butt jointing, if you have a big enough piece to drill and dowel or pin that is.

I am new to the site and the modeling world but thanks to your posts on your ship I feels though I have been on part of your journey with you and felt your ups and downs. By seeing how you have overcome obstacles and had the tenacity to stick with it is very encouraging to me .

Not sure if it would work on your windows but I think I read somewhere that plastic modelers use Elmer's glue to glue canopies on airplanes because it dries clear.

Thanks,

David

Edited by DCIronfist

David     :pirate41:

First Build: Corsair Brigantine

so far i have used ca to glue my windows. dab a sligth amount  on the wood . wait a few secs then dab wiht a cloth. wait a bit more then position it carefuly not to slide it.

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Since its being talked about I will mention this. Using CA to glue windows (I assume its a thin poly film of some kind) has one thing to watch out for.

In forensics CA is used to set fingerprints, the CA is attracted to the oil from the fingerprint and makes that permanent. For example if a car were the crime scene, a soda bottle cap filled with CA placed in the car will make every fingerprint in the auto visible. So make sure the film is clean of prints and place it with a tweezer.

Just a little analytical forensic FYI, Before heading the direction of pharma seperations I was planning on forensics. After finding out the FBI doesnt hire over 30 year olds, I switched directions, then I did again and taught.HS chem.

Robbyn,

The nails on your rubbing strakes are from the kit? Or did you purchase other ones?

-Aaron

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” - Augustine

Current Build:

Artesania Latina San Francisco II 1:90 Scale

On the Shelf:

Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop 1:48 Scale

Yea, I am home. Sure was nice to go back and see the family for a couple days, nice to see a different set of four walls too, and I especially enjoyed spending time in the hobby shop and picking up some new goodies...no new kit for the shelf  :(. was kind of hoping to see a bunch and maybe pick one up, but this particular store seemed more  set up for the RC person and the model train enthusiast. Only wood boat they had was the bounty!! But my credit card I am sure is happier about that lol.

Rocker...lemon beer? I don't even like lemon in my ice tea :o

Aaron, yes, the nails provided in the kit.

Ok, I have checked in, now need to go unload the new washer and dryer, and since the boat building fairies didn't do any work for me this weekend she is still sitting on the drafting table waiting for me...

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I am new to the site and the modeling world but thanks to your posts on your ship I feels though I have been on part of your journey with you and felt your ups and downs. By seeing how you have overcome obstacles and had the tenacity to stick with it is very encouraging to me .

Not sure if it would work on your windows but I think I read somewhere that plastic modelers use Elmer's glue to glue canopies on airplanes because it dries clear.

Thanks,

David

David, thanks for following along, the ups have been many, which more than make up for those down...even though they were fairly major. Nice thing about this hobby...even if you screw it up badly...it can still be fixed with a little elbow grease, ingenuity, and of course time :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Okay, I am stuck. I am trying to add the limber strips and rails that sit atop the bulwarks. I need to bend these 2mm x 5mm strips laterally...meaning the curve needs to go through that 5mm width so the railings will follow the curve of the bulwark and hull. I am having no luck with this. Soaked, steamed, etc. It is like that 5mm thickness is just too much to get a curve. I can't afford to break any.

Anyone know of a good way to do this?

This is applewood btw

Edited by Shaz

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You could try making relieving cuts along the inside edge of the curve to allow the wood to bend. a little bit of filler and some good sanding should hide them well enough.

What kind of wood are you using?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

In situations like this I usually cut the curved piece to shape from a wider piece of stock material, if available.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I don't have any wider stock on hand...not in the position to try and order a piece plus pay shipping too, sorry.

It is apple wood.

yes, perhaps notching one side of the strip will help, I hadn't thought of that.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Before I cut and mounted my vertical rubbing strakes (or whatever they're called) I cut and positioned the curved rails so the strakes would bump into them. I soaked mine for a few minutes and then clamped them down with tiny spring calmps starting at one end and working forward one clamp at a time. The clamps followed the curve of the wall and forced, ever so slightly, the timber to the bend.

I must say however that I am using mahogany for the rails not applewood or walnut (I think it's walnut :P) or whatever they put into the kit.

I don't have any wider stock on hand...not in the position to try and order a piece plus pay shipping too, sorry.

It is apple wood.

yes, perhaps notching one side of the strip will help, I hadn't thought of that.

You can glue strips together to make wider stock like themadchemist mentioned, but that's assuming you have enough stock to do so. :)

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Robbin I use a combination of boiling water and then a planking iron to get mine to curve along the bulwarks. If you do boil, 1 min and see if she'll bend. Some planks reacted really well to this and bent without much fuss. What ever your do don't force it that much. holding it to your curve then use your iron to get a little more out of it. if its still not there , then soak and hit it with your planking iron. If you have to go at the same plank again don't boil it more than once. I hope this helps

Eric

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Have you made any progress with this Robbyn ?

You should find as you make a few models there will be timber left over from each, never throw this out as I am sure you would appreciate. It becomes very handy in subsequent builds.

For future reference there is a type of "beach" that is very flexible and although a bit dearer than most woods it is well worth it and I get it from MS as required.

In this instance though if you do not have a planking iron, and I have never seen the need, get it nice and hot and wet and lay it flat on a suitable surface and iron it with your domestic steam iron. Rub it over the piece once or twice then working from one end rub it forward about two inches and then back to the start and hold it down firmly as a clamp for the wood and start bending the plank, moving the iron back and forth between bending efforts. When you have a bit of bend holding in the timber move the iron over it again and keep working your way forward.

You will find this easier if you don't cut the timber to length first as you will have more to work with and hold on to and the process takes practice to become accurate with so cutting after bending is the best option. I start from the tightest radius end and work my way out so I need about two inches infront of the bend to allow holding the plank down under the iron.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

what i would try is get 2 baswood strips of the same width and put the piece between them (maybe a smal bti of glue) so you end up with a 5x5 dowel

then soak in hot water for a bit and bend

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Steve I tried the iron and that worked like a charm. I did not need a sharp bend, just a gentle curve like the hull so the iron did very well. I then clamped it along the bulwark like LV suggested and am leaving it there to dry over night.

Steve you are right, I won't be throwing any of the leftovers away, never know just when you might need a bit for the next builds. I wish I had the knowledge I have learned so far about wood when I first started and ordered the wood I used to double plank, I would have ordered planks in varying widths so I could spile, and add drop planks correctly, and I would have ordered spares of these other dimensions and only have to pay that shipping once.

I know before I begin my next build I will do exactly that and be much better prepared!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Another type of iron that might be useful for these tasks would be a quilting iron - they have a very small triangular head (about 2" on a side), as they are designed to get into corners, and so they are much less unwieldy than a regular iron, with variabl heat and often quite cheap at craft stores.

Rebecca

First-time builder

Current build: Mini-Mamoli Mississippi Sternwheeler

On the shelf:

MM: Charles Morgan, La Goleta

MW: Ches. Flattie, Crabbing Skiff

I have no idea how hot a curling iron gets but I would imagine not very.

From the look of your profile pic you wouldn't have any other use for one though :D

Glad it worked Robbyn.

I mentioned "flexible beach" that's what they call it at MS here in Aus. Next time you order timber get some, probably about 5mm x 1.5mm, sorry, you guys who ditched imperial rule centuries ago but still keep imperial measurements will have to convert that yourselves  :D

These are pics of my first model tall ship "Schooner for Port Jackson" from the supplier I mentioned above. The pics are not great because she is behind glass but if you look between the lanyards or ropes that attach the shroud lines to the hull you will see a piece of timber on the bulwalk bent down to follow a step in the sides. This is flexible beach and I bent it with the domestic iron by just soaking it in warm water for about 10 minutes then placing it flat on the table with the iron on it, back and forth a little with the iron then just hold it down with the iron and bend the plank upward around the edge of the sole plate of the iron, move the iron a little and bend some more etc to get the appropriate radius. It was so easy to bend and work with. Like I said, first ship, first real tight wood bend and dead easy, first go was perfect. This is excellent timber for bending. Keep it seperate from any other beach you have though because it looks the same.

post-697-0-27016000-1364879079_thumb.jpg

post-697-0-68229400-1364879133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bedford

I'm looking at this one ATM rebecca. One of the other SF builders recommended it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbico-Veneer-Edge-Banding-Iron/dp/B000X4PWTM

That looks useful alchemist - it's very close to what a quilting iron looks like!

First-time builder

Current build: Mini-Mamoli Mississippi Sternwheeler

On the shelf:

MM: Charles Morgan, La Goleta

MW: Ches. Flattie, Crabbing Skiff

DC, yes a curling iron works great for bending the strips that go on the hull. Will not work to laterally bend, at least not the thickness I was bending. I used steam from a kettle on the stove to bend most of my planking strips steaming the strip while shaping it and clipping it around a bowl that gave me the proper curve for my hull planks. That worked quite well, but when I was doing the second planking with the really thin veneers the curling iron worked like a charm!

Here is a link to the quilting iron...looks nice and small and would work well on ships http://www.wishuponaquilt.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?&product=Notions&productid=mci900&tracking2=zon

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Hello Robbyn,

I've done it this way.

I placed the wood for 2 hours in hot water, then I bent the wood on the table. see picture.

post-13-0-60157000-1364913024_thumb.jpg

then heat up the soldering iron.

post-13-0-57995700-1364913110_thumb.jpg

After everything is dry you can fit it on the ship.

post-13-0-88923000-1364913206_thumb.jpg

It has worked well with me, you must only slowly bending the wood or else it  breaks.

Robert

Current builds:
Prins Willem - Corel
H.M.S. Victory - Deagostini

Complete Project: San Fransisco II Artesania. / King of the Mississippi Artesania

Thanks Robert. I have decided that much of my problem is my impatience! When I started I was thinking a 10 min soak would be enough lol

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station