Were ship figureheads routinely removed?

robnbill

We were going through the Maritime museum/park in San Francisco today and read on one of the figurehead exhibits that it was in such good shape because the figureheads were removed once the ship was at sea. I had never read that before. Was this a period thing?

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bill,

As far as I'm aware, the removal of figureheads at sea was a very occasional thing.  I don't think I've seen it mentioned in any of the actual accounts of voyages under sail that I have.  In fact, I've read a couple of accounts of parts of figureheads being removed while in port to protect them frm damage.

John

Not something I've heard of either, but I am surprised that removals took place at sea except under extreme circumstances.

Sailors were /are? a superstitious lot and from the earliest times viewed the figurehead as a symbol of the soul of a ship, a guardian providing comfort and security against the vagaries of the sea.

I would imagine that certainly in the 18th century and earlier removal of the figurehead would be considered very bad luck for the ship and viewed with dismay by the crew members.

B.E.

One rare exception: The Sloop USS Hornet, 1807-1829, had two figureheads. A gilded eagle clutched a starred-and-striped shield in her talons when the Hornet was in port, but when at sea, it was replaced with a simple billethead. This must have been a difficult task, at best, that the crew did not look forward to.

I seem to recall seeing a painting wherein the ship's figurehead was encased in a protective cage while at sea (iron). Anyone else remember something like this?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

We once had a discussion about this cage in our german forum.

Achilles gave the hint there that in the thesis from Steere 2004 (The Evolution of Decorative Work on Englisch Men of War) it is guessed, that it was probably only a trial.

http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream/han....pdf?sequence=1

pages 67/68

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have read that many of the British "tea clippers", in the 1860's & 1970's would remove their figureheads, put covering boards over the scroll work on the trailboards and paint over the brass rails during long passage to and from the east. When they neared port all of the decorative work would be revealed again.

But this is a very specific trade and and very limited period. These ship were in a lucrative, high prestige trade where appearance was very important. This was during the time when the results of the annual tea races was front page news. I doubt if this happened often in common merchantmen or naval vessels.

It's hard to remember but I think you can find references to this practice in the journals of the captain of the tea clipper Ariel if you can find a copy.

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

I have several books on ships' figureheads and carvings,  both naval and merchant vessels,  and none of them mention the removal of the figurehead. 

18th Century full-length figureheads were massive constructions,  much larger than life-size,  and would surely have been impossible to remove whilst at sea.  If there ever was such a practice,  it must have been limited to smaller figureheads.

That said,  though,  the beast heads on the prows of Viking longships were apparently removed when approaching land,  if they were coming in peace,  in order not to frighten the local spirits.

This might be the origin of a mistaken belief amongst some people that figureheads were routinely removed.

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

I have several books on ships' figureheads and carvings,  both naval and merchant vessels,  and none of them mention the removal of the figurehead. 

18th Century full-length figureheads were massive constructions,  much larger than life-size,  and would surely have been impossible to remove whilst at sea.  If there ever was such a practice,  it must have been limited to smaller figureheads.

That said,  though,  the beast heads on the prows of Viking longships were apparently removed when approaching land,  if they were coming in peace,  in order not to frighten the local spirits.

This might be the origin of a mistaken belief amongst some people that figureheads were routinely removed.

Mark P

I too have read of this on Cape Hornners.

I doubt very much (with the clipper exceptions noted above) whether figures were removed. These weighed a considerable amount (even a small lion on a sixth rate was almost 8' 0" high) and all the rigging in the vicinity would be a serious impediment to doing this, even in harbour.

The contemporary (c.1720) sixth rate figure in the NMM collection shown weighs 180kg (396lbs)!

post-635-0-68054600-1416507186_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

My thinking, too big to be removed on sea. 

Druxey, thank you for the link, it fitted for some research we are doing in our german forum!

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html