HMB Endeavour by mikec - Eaglemoss

Another question, (Don't want to be a pain), how did you accomplish the "Weathering" on the Decks?

Looks awesome....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi re the decks: Firstly I used a soft graphite pencil and ran it along the edges of each plank to simulate the caulking . Once the planking has been applied (I use pva white glue) and dry I sand the pdeck smooth. The graphite tends to grey and dirty the wood. I then seal with sanding sealer. I drilled every plank where the fixing points are and then using an artists palet knife, filled every hole with water based black wood filler. I wiped off the excess filler with a damp cloth . Wipe in the direction of the grain. This further dirtied up the planking, giving it a nice subtle grey hue
I then applied a coat of Matt varnish to finish.

Edited by mikec

Set up of jeer blocks-fore and main yards

Does anyone know how the rope that reeves between the two bocks (yard arm and masthead) is set up?

Is the standing part of the rope attached to the block or yard arm? I cant make out from the AOTs reference.

thanks for your help, MIke

Edited by mikec

Hi Mike

The standing part is attached to the yardarm. Here is a pic from Lees "Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War" Also a pic from the AL Endeavour instructions, and a pic of my dusty old AL Endeavour showing the rope attached to the yard arm like shown in Longridge's "Anatomy of Nelsons Ships". Note that single blocks are used on the yard arm. The AOTS has double blocks for some reason :o .

Its also interesting how the full size replica Endeavour vessel has the jeers set up differently with three single blocks :huh:

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-85884100-1439168267_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-25772000-1439168294_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-21658100-1439168331_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-64866400-1439168551_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks heaps steve. it was the double blocks that confused me. I couldn't see how it would work. Note to self: AOTS is not perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

More progress, I Hand served and hand wormed the main stay. Took many hours. I am really happy with the finished result. As you can see from the pic the stay looks like a very heavy rope, and not thread. 

I lashed the mainstay to collar on the bowsprit as per replica.

The mouse, and all the rigging at the top has turned out very realistic, I feel.

The jeer block lashings were quite a task too. I did the lashings off the mast on a jig made to slightly larger dimensions than the actual mast. I then slipped the finished lashings and completed jeer blocks(Chucks) on to the top. I used white glue(PVA) to form the lashings on the jig.

Also attached the fiddle blocks again using Chucks excellent kit.

Also ratted the main mast shrouds and stepped the mizzen mast, now rigging the shrouds, will post more pics soon.

post-5894-0-44724600-1440719720_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-30263000-1440719735_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-84214000-1440719774_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-80317100-1440719790_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikec

hi Brian, re the mainstay collar, I achieved the tarred look by serving the dark black thread with  a tan coloured thread. i then "sealed" it with PVA glue, applied reasonably thickly. When this is dry I paint with matt black 33 paint from Humbrel. I then deliberately handle the assembly once dry, this rubs off some of the paint and allows some of the tan thread to show through, giving a realistic tarred look.

cheers Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mizzen mast stepped and shrouds/futtock shrouds rigged. i used the composite hat elastic/ chucks rope method (smaller diameter)

post-5894-0-86931200-1441621083_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-51500100-1441621098_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-58261500-1441621109_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikec

Hi Mike looking really good mate, well and truly on the homeward stretch now!

What ratline sequence/pattern did you use?  The various rigging books/authorities are not clear on this for our period and Karl M does not validate his depiction.

Could you have a look at my post in the Masting and Rigging forum if you have time please: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11339-ratline-sequence/#entry346203

Cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 months later...

I am back in the dock yard after a 3month break builkding a 1/32 scale Thunderchief. Interesting transition from wood to plastic. I had to sharpen up my accuracy, as plastic is not very forgiving.

I am working on the top mast shrouds now and post some ship pics soon. For those that are interested, here is my Aircraft effort.

post-5894-0-64448600-1451849850_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-76647500-1451850043_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-56823700-1451850079_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-58472500-1451850109_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

It has been a while. I felt I needed a break, but i am back with a vengance. Completing all the "ratting" nearly there... post pics soon

Nice to see you out of the hangar and back iin the dockyard Mike :)

BTW I am working on a 1:1 build of a Airspeed oxford (WWII Trainer) also used by the NZAF I think.

cheers

Pat

Edit:  Sorry Mike typed SAAF instead of NZAF - both used the OxBox but my mind must have been elsewhere.

Edited by BANYAN

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, been slowly working away on the ratting. My model was on display at model shop _this is what she loks like at present point in time. I have been also working on the bowsprite netting. I will post more detailed shots soon.

post-5894-0-40210400-1472805099_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-07889800-1472805116_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-04808000-1472805135_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have been out of the shipyard for so long!

But I have been on holiday and you guys have inspired me.

I am taking the time to start working on the yard arms etc. i hit a flat spot, but I am now enjoying the build again. Her are some pics of where I am at.

I don't have any fancy tools so I create the masts and spars by hand sanding them to shape. Firstly I mark the centre part of the spar accordingto plan, and mark the octagonal centre section, and use files to create that section. I then will hand taper the  spar ends, while watching TV. It is tedious work, but you get there in the end. Have worked on the Gaff first. I am painting all the spars black, so I can use fillers etc easily to fix any imperfections. Here are pics at early stage of construction showing use of filler...

post-5894-0-14052600-1484910322_thumb.jpg

post-5894-0-64077500-1484910345.jpg

post-5894-0-14149300-1484910950.jpg

Welcome back Mike, I have been only doing drips and drabs too lately. I am up to exactly the same thing on my build, just finished the gaff and working on the yards

Cheers

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Nice to have you back in the dockyard Mike; must have been a great holiday? :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

• 1 year later...

I have been out of the ship yard for exactly two years! I have just started again. I am working through all the spars. I will post pics soon.

Great to see you back Mike; hope to see your updates soon.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Dave, Steve and Pat. I have got my mojo back, so expect updates soon.

• 3 years later...