Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carving from Belgorod

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Very nice work indeed, you have some excellent sculpting skills Alexander, especially at this scale.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationBelgorod Russia

Thanks for the great reviews and such high ratings .

I try to show all the photos at work and try to comment about them . A lot of them , so it will take some time

• NMBROOK likes this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Home. 
You can see that for simplicity I glued the paper with the drawing on the workpiece. The first thing to do for landing slot
IMG_4082.jpg
IMG_4085.jpg

Then I switched on the machine circular saw, so faster
IMG_4093.jpg
IMG_4093.jpg
IMG_4095.jpg

The following picture shows that this thread I had a second. The first attempt was a little different, and the customer has not approved it.
IMG_4090.jpg

PS To be continued.
sorry, have to run for job

• mtaylor, avsjerome2003, Janos and 2 others like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
continuation 

IMG_4094.jpg
Unfortunately, when there was work on the head of a lion I ran out of batteries in the camera, so more photos with a ready thread head.
You can see that part of the excess from the last attempt is cut and inserted into the groove on the blank bar. Now until the end of the thread it will be on it.
IMG_4122.jpg
If you look closely, you can see that the color of the wood has changed a bit , especially on the head figurines
This is because of the oil , and which is impregnated with a lion's head . I put a brush oil on the thread. Tung oil is absorbed quickly and makes the tree a little different . Now it is pricked as before and is very convenient for carving even the smallest elements. Now you know a little secret.

IMG_4128.jpg

• robbl, mtaylor, dgbot and 6 others like this

michael mott

michael mott
  • Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationLake Wabumun, Alberta, Canada

Alex, exquisite carving, thank you for sharing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8

Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500

Maria, Sloop 1:2

Restoration      A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Now is the time to work on a shield with lilies . First I 'll show pictures, and then open another little secret.

So the lion looked at the beginning of work on the shield
IMG_4159.jpg
So after
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg
So in fact what happened in the end is not quite what is photographed at the beginning . The shield with lilies actually different. Note that in the first picture , this part is not as convex  as in the end.
I did not succeed. I was frustrated. I cut below and try again. Again bad. So shield became quite flat and on it was impossible to fix. What to do? Redo it all over again? This is so offensively . I decided to try to fix everything. But first, another blank tree I began to cut again inside with lilies. I liked it, now you need to carefully move it to the figure. 

That's why I made the first shot. And the line is not there by accident and not for beauty. With her help I was able to print this part of the correct scale on cardboard. Then tried to cut the exact shape, and what was inside the wreath. It was laborious, it was necessary to try a lot. Several times had to start anew. And finally, everything worked, I cut out cardboard replica of what I wanted. 

I now had a pattern. I have attached it to a new piece with lilies and transferred all nyuansy.Ostalos all neatly cut and paste the new piece into place. So the whole figure was saved. 

• robbl, mtaylor, dgbot and 5 others like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Came the turn of the hind paws

IMG_4168.jpg

Now crown

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

cut small parts separately

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

and the last item

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

well that's all. in the end I want to open another one of my secret. Photographing process work is also very useful. Often you can see that just not visible. Pictures help to see their mistakes. When working, don't remember how it looked figurine of a week ago. And if you suddenly have to start all over again (this happens), then you can better understand where to make changes and do not make a mistake опять.У photos have another benefit. When it was all over and the thread goes to the customer on the memory remains of those pictures.

• Jim L, mtaylor, dgbot and 6 others like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Last time show a finished action figure

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

• mtaylor, avsjerome2003, edmay and 11 others like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

While this is all my work. Now I have on the table is another order of the thread. I cut another figure. When I finish, then I will try to show what happens

• NMBROOK likes this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Alex, exquisite carving, thank you for sharing.

Michael

many thanks, Michael

NMBROOK

NMBROOK
  • Members
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationYorkshire England

Wonderful to see the stages involved Alexander.Very clever recovery with the shield,no one would know if you hadn't said anything.

Kind Regards Nigel

Project for the summer months-Fairmount Alpine-Billings boats http://modelshipworl...rc-radio/page-1

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Hi Janos .
The tool I have the most common . I use like this . The smallest self-made cutters . They resharpen of sewing needles . They became good shape and very fit. They are very easy to alter.
IMG_4395.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg
Electric carving tool when not use.  I tried it with carving figurines lady for " Druid ". Even good at. But it is very dangerous. You can spoil , so then they stopped working. I do not know how to properly called in English , in Russian it is called BOR . like this will be clearer :
IMG_4233.jpg
They tried. Now sometimes use them too , but manually. Here it is:
IMG_4235.jpg
The smallest veins and lines are very easy to do .

Leo does not polished . There's only work with knives and chisels . And the first job with the " Druid " polished , but not paper, and this . This conventional sawing and bafiki polish. They loved me . There are solid , there are soft . My wife works in a nail service . Once asked her to try and loved it. Use them not only in the thread , but also in other work with the model.
444444444444лпрлпролпролпр.JPG

Thanks for the tip about the oil. I'll try. I do not have much experience. Tung bought , tried on different wood species . Loved it. Therefore, they use them.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
If you lived closer I would share with you a sample .
 It is very good that you can choose a lot of good oil.

• mtaylor, avsjerome2003, Janos and 1 other like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Hi Nigel .
Happy if it is useful . In Russia we have a cartoon of Baron Munchausen . This character is always saying, " Desperate situations do not happen! "
If this case does not help anyone to despair , I will be very happy

• mtaylor and NMBROOK like this

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts
Good afternoon, everybody. 
I finished another small order. This is the most difficult job, that I had. But very interesting. I very much enjoyed the thread. 
This figure rooster for the French frigate «Le Francois». 
That's how this figure looks in the drawings. 
fransoa27.jpg
And here is what I got
IMG_4721.jpg
IMG_4722.jpg
IMG_4724.jpg
IMG_4725.jpg
IMG_4726.jpg
IMG_4727.jpg

Edited by korablik1979, 01 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

• mtaylor, WackoWolf, Sherry and 14 others like this

NMBROOK

NMBROOK
  • Members
  • 3,218 posts

Fabulous Alexander :wub:  :wub: A truly beautiful piece of carving!You must have taken extreme care to avoid anything breaking off,particularly the claws that run against the grain.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Mirabell61 and korablik1979 like this

Project for the summer months-Fairmount Alpine-Billings boats http://modelshipworl...rc-radio/page-1

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

yeah, it was hard work. Everything is very subtle. And legs and wings. At this time, there were no accidents, nothing had to be restored as a lion. I tried. Well, it all worked out.

• NMBROOK likes this

NMBROOK

NMBROOK
  • Members
  • 3,218 posts

I would advise the client not to fit it until the end of the build!! :D All that work and it gets caught whilst doing the rigging would be devastating.

Kind Regards Nigel

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN, USA
These pieces are exquisite. The detail is amazing. You do beautiful work. You can start doing custom work for people who model but don't know how to carve.

Marc
  • WackoWolf and Mirabell61 like this
Commission for my sister: Cape Cod Catboat

On hold: Fairing the frames Statenjacht 'Utrecht'
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman; the yacht 'Heemskerck'
Future: 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships; Boyer, Galliot, Kaag, & Pink (1:48)

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

edmay

edmay
  • Members
  • 824 posts
  • LocationPort Alberni BC

Artistic ,Brilliant workmanship ,thanks for the pictures and information.Edwin

korablik1979

korablik1979
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Я не советовал бы клиент не вписать его до конца, чтобы строить! :DВсе, что работа, и она попадает в то время как делать фальсификации будет иметь разрушительные последствия.

С наилучшими пожеланиями Найджел

I do not know if I've translated and understood your words. If I wrote an answer wrong, I apologize. 
Master, for which I made ​​this thread young. He is 21 year. But he was already an experienced master and I'm sure he knows how to do the installation. Thanks for your advice, I will tell him. 
I do not know whether his model masts and rigging. Later try to show a photo with his model. I really like his ship model.

Edited by korablik1979, 02 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

• NMBROOK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.