Wreck Diorama by Farbror Fartyg - The wreck of an old wooden ship

Lately my internet has insisted on showing me a lot of eerie pictures of slimy wood against silty black ...

All this virtual wreck diving's paying off, though - the wreck model is looking worse and worse.

post-5830-0-34184600-1421789366_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-72019400-1421789394_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-91146300-1421789445_thumb.jpg

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

Hi Farbror

I like the concept of what you're trying to achieve. The ROV, the wreck, the eerie murkiness of the water, even the darkness, all should come together for a most unusual and characterful diorama.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

All the best

Patrick

are you going to show any other parts of the ship?   nice progress......good to see your back  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

are you going to show any other parts of the ship?   nice progress......good to see your back  ;)

Nope, just the bow.

The figurehead and the base of the foremast will be included. There will also be bits of the rigging - maybe a yard and some blocks - strewn about on and around the bow. Perhaps I'll throw in an anchor too.

How could I have missed this for so long ??

Great concept, Fartyg !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

How could I have missed this for so long ??

Great concept, Fartyg !!

I can totally see how that might have happened.

I didn't do any work on this diorama for more than a year, so the thread got pushed way back into the obscure and murky parts of the forum.

Glad you like it!

Sam

A little update.

The planking's mostly done.

While waiting for the few strips that are still feeling the loving hug of masking tape, I thought I'd amuse myself by throwing together a few test wrecks (unusual word combination there).

They'll be used for colour tests later.

post-5830-0-19627300-1422392894_thumb.jpg

Sam

I'm sure that in some obscure sea somewhere......you'd probably see a  'graveyard'   very neat!   set 'em up and do a test picture....love to see it!  :)

errr.......the Keith Richards........is that before or after he snorted his father's ashes?  :D  :D    {I just had to add this.......first thing I thought of when I read the name}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

There are probably quite a few rock star "wrecks" you could immortalize in your build ...

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Glad to see some progress.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I'm sure that in some obscure sea somewhere......you'd probably see a  'graveyard'   very neat!   set 'em up and do a test picture....love to see it!  :)

errr.......the Keith Richards........is that before or after he snorted his father's ashes?  :D  :D    {I just had to add this.......first thing I thought of when I read the name}

There are probably quite a few rock star "wrecks" you could immortalize in your build ...

:cheers:

Literally the first thing that came to mind when I started thinking about naming my test wrecks, was Keith Richards ... 

You know how it goes: Rock->wreck. Wreck->Keith. Keith->old. Old->MIck Jagger ... and so on.

I'm going to need everything to work together in this diorama - the hull, the silt on it, the bottom, the light ...

Colours, and textures, are going to be very important. So I'm going to need to do a few tests to get it right. That's where the "armada" shown above is going to come in.

Good way to get rid of scrap pieces too.

Sam

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello!

Wow ... long time no see, eh ... Mr. Wreck-Diorama-Thread ...

The model hasn't been completed.

That, however, isn't saying that it won't be completed.

Followers of my Akagi build will no doubt know by now that even an asthmatic tortoise can beat me when it comes to speedy progress ...

The wreck is still sitting on me desk in plain view, glaring at me, making me feel slightly guilty.

This project is still fresh in my mind - I'm still thinking about it a lot.

And I'm actually doing a very similar thing (probably won't do a build log, but stay tuned!) with some kids at work, and that has given me some ideas for this diorama too.

So to sum up - will finish this one, eventually.

Thank you, kisses and hugs all around, for remembering and showing an interest in this project!

Cheers!

Sam

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

Hello again!

This site really does wonders for your creativity.

I hadn't planned on doing any work on this project any time soon, but a ping from the inbox, 
a comment and a like or two in the thread, and there I was - wreck box in hand - thinking about silt again.

The project that me and "The Crew" at work have going also gave me a push in the right direction, it has to be said.

News:
I've given USS Truncheon and HMHS Keith Richards a coat of black/brown/grey - soggy old wood style.
HMS Oyster Trap has apparently been lost to the carpet monster. Or perhaps a particularly nasty
spring storm broke her up completely. We'll never know ...

testwreckspainted.jpg.60e80a26d550d3a6dd42e9a059ed7344.jpg

Since the silt me and The Crew mixed up worked out so well, I decided to do something similar with this project.
Here at home we are properly supplied with pigment powders, so no water colour pucks had to be sacrificed this time.

The silt is a mixture of plaster, green, brown and black pigments. I think the colour came out nice.

powdersplastersilt.jpg.dfd59f6f6062976cbee96054ae9eaa34.jpg

siltcolour.thumb.jpg.3137955ae0d99b810ab54d167ca9de95.jpg

To get the silt onto the test wrecks, I first sprayed them liberally with matt varnish, then I dusted them with silt powder
from a little pouch I made from an old, very, very worn, sock.

sock.jpg.cb54a10d5c2db6f62dc4ddb70a2a9633.jpg

spraying.thumb.jpg.b9d616a8b147a6db3064a584872d7719.jpg

To make the silt look less grainy, I lightly brushed the wrecks with a very soft, dry paintbrush. Look at the before and after pics:

HMHS Keith R. before:

hmhskeithrbefore.thumb.jpg.e2ae4ea4148d7865d094cabdb5e73380.jpg

and after:

hmhskeithrafter.thumb.jpg.9bbcd8a0b73eb6199ba549fb39a457fe.jpg

Well pleased with the result. I think we're on to something here.

wrecksothree.jpg.5a684a252b9bc9863d6820c48879b325.jpg

One thing I'll probably do is to mix up some different coloured silt to get a less uniform feel.
You could, for example, have a slightly more browninsh colour that you could use to show where
Iron fittings have rusted away.

Once again, it really feels good that you're taking an interest in this project!

Love it!

Sam 

welcome back!   I think it would be a hoot to meet your crew......sounds very interesting.  especially if there is a sub project involved  :)    sorry to hear of the HMS Oyster Trap's fate.....you surely would have produced a pearl there ;)    interesting process your doing......looking forward to see how this come out.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

18 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

welcome back!   I think it would be a hoot to meet your crew......sounds very interesting.

Thanks! Always good to be here! 

I hope this isn't seen as shamelessly trying to promote my own build logs,  but if you're interested, you can sort of meet "The Crew" here

They're an ... interesting ... bunch.
They don't need much in the way of booty, spoils and loot, but you WILL have a mutiny on your hands if they get even a little bit bored.

28 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

sorry to hear of the HMS Oyster Trap's fate.....you surely would have produced a pearl there ;)   

That could be it! Some unscrupulous pearl divers could have dynamited her to get to the pearl oysters within.

Shouldn't blame EVERYTHING on the carpet monster.

Sam

:D  :D  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: