Wreck Diorama by Farbror Fartyg - The wreck of an old wooden ship

By the way, will you be adding potentiometer/rheostat to the lighting so you can dim them?  Or will the brightness be fixed?   I've found they need the adjustment depending on the ambient light.

I think something has to be done about the brightness of the LED, but I'm thinking about a more low-tech solution - a filter. 

The viewer is meant to peer into the diorama box through a rather small opening. The opening has let enough light through for the whole thing to actually function as a night light, so it can't be too small. It can't be too big either, as that would be too revealing. You want draw the viewer in close. I have to make sure the light is just right.

Filtering the LED's light will, if done right, do two things. Firstly it can help sell the illusion that you're looking at an underwater scene. And secondly it will soften the light so that the viewer isn't blinded.

I decided on using a white LED because none of the other available colours felt right. It's fairly easy to change the colour and intensity of white light with a filter.

This will be fun to watch.

You could take a look at what model railroaders do, dust the wreck with the silt of your choice (if you can't find it outside somewhere, alternatives can be had by the bag from the MR shop), then fix the dust with a mist of diluted PVA glue that will be completely invisible when dry.

Rust, dust and gunk can be had as acrylic paint and pastel chalks used for highlights.

Per

Thanks!

Dilluted PVA is a very good idea! Why didn't I think of that  ... I've actually used it before, as a fixative for drawings.

ROV update:

I made an ROV, with kitbashed parts on a wooden box (housing the LED) but I didn't like the result, so I scrapped it.

Instead I decided to make the LED housing, and some other parts, out of thick aluminium foil. The advantage is that the foil is already opaque and metallic, so I won't have to paint it to prevent light leaks and to get a metal finish.

The flotation tank on top, and the side "grilles" are made from styrene.

I've also been going over the www with a fine-toothed comb for wreck pictures. Frightening stuff ...

Sam

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

Welcome back to Making Possible Things Seem Impossible, with your host - Farbror Fartyg.

I've done some work on the ROV.

post-5830-0-98589200-1376425740_thumb.jpg

As I'm sure you can deduce from the picture, the parts are too big and heavy to lift.

post-5830-0-73254000-1376425867_thumb.jpg

I'm using the very latest in ship building technology - pasta packaging.

post-5830-0-43218800-1376425984_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-12528600-1376426068_thumb.jpg

My poor, unfinished Sovereign made a cameo as wreck in this pic.

The metallic bits are, as previously mentioned, aluminium foil. If I ever need to change the LED, it comes right off. The tubes are glued, but they aren't glued to the LED iteself.

To fit the filter, and to make the "spotlight" smaller, I made a wooden plug, drilled a tiny hole in it, painted it, and inserted it in the LED tube.

The filter is made from the pasta packaging seen in the pic above. The light looks very green in photos taken by my mobile camera ... looks a bit better in reality.

I'm pretty pleased with the effect, though. It looks sort of underwater-ish.

Very creative and interesting. I too am hopping on this bandwagon to watch, I can't wait to see the next installment!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

one product you might consider for silt is Fuller's Earth...applied over a coat of PVA it could work very well. We use it a lot for model film work since it scales really well and when it's not glued down it hangs in the air when we blow stuff  up or crash things into the ground.

Great concept and I can't wait to see how you execute it...looks great so far!

I've always been facinated by dioramas and this one's a great idea. Years ago I had a friend who did military dios. He actually used to suck the hard coating off of chicklets chewing gum and use the center to make very realistic looking sandbags.

I've been an aquariest for years and one of the ways we used to make it look like moonlight in our aquariums was to use blue LEDs. Very pleasant on the eye and gave a very nice looking deep water scene. Perhaps you coud use the blue leds in a position that can't be seen by the veiwer to slightly light up the scene and the less bright whites somewhat recessed on your rover to give it more of a spotlight effect on the ship.

Really looking forward to seeing this wreck of a project. Sorry.  Couldn't resist the play on words. I'm sure it will be fantastic. ;)

I've always been facinated by dioramas and this one's a great idea. Years ago I had a friend who did military dios. He actually used to suck the hard coating off of chicklets chewing gum and use the center to make very realistic looking sandbags.

Hahaha! 

Sandbags - I have another one for you!

Here there's a breakfast cereal called "Havrefras" (something like "Oat Crispies" in English).

They're cushion shaped and if you soak them ever so slightly in diluted PVA, you can shape them with your fingers. 

Soak, knead, stack ... and once dry, hey presto! Instant sand bagged position for your troops!

Aaahh ... off topic ... :)

Sam

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

is it possible to regulate the voltage with LED lights....like a dimmer?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Havrefras huh! Didnt know that. Were modelling with food now? Damn... ;)

/Matti

In the world of modeling NOTHING is safe -and anything is considered fair material!!!! :D

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Happy Birthday, have a great day

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Happy Birthday, Sam.  post-76-0-95755200-1377588751.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

happy birthday............and a bottle of cheer!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey!  :cheers:

@Popeye I'll take that ... should I drink it before or after the red? 

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate it.

I'll get the build log moving again in a bit.

For some strange reason clients want me to actually finish sites I'm building for them ... 

[insert your best superlative] Regards

Sam

Happy Birthday Sam!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hey Steve, don't sit down just yet.  A bayonet???  You'll have one sore tuchus my friend  :)  ;)  :P

Cheers  :cheers:   I'll drink to that.

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Can someone please move over a little...I can't see properly, and keep your heads down you lot up front.

This sounds very interesting and I will be following this with interest. I doubt you will have any competition.

Is it just me? I have never heard of such a thing as an underwater diorama as you envisage, but it sounds fantastic.

Okay, I'll shut up if you hurry and get started.

Errol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvKRmmDhvgA

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

i will delete the link if required, i never read the comments and i dont have sound on my work PC

i was infact looking for a Titanic model wreck site forum, not found yet though

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Farbror Fartyg,

Hmm this thing with Havrefras (remember I liked them as a kid), back in the stone age :)

Hope you don't take away food from your kids, they may never forgive you for it, however I am looking forward to see this "wreck site"

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

i will delete the link if required, i never read the comments and i dont have sound on my work PC

i was infact looking for a Titanic model wreck site forum, not found yet though

Ah, no problem with the link. I just have a problem with youtube commenters that talk down nice videos. Ive seen to many examples of people -even small kids- showing something they are proud of, and then someone thinks its funny to bully them in the comment field. It makes me sick. But I liked the video.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

hope you don.t mind me putting links in onto your thread, always happy to remove, i just wanted to show members all the different ideas in creating the effects 

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=123&topic_id=2785&sub_topic_id=2786&mesg_id=&page=

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

hope you don.t mind me putting links in onto your thread, always happy to remove, i just wanted to show members all the different ideas in creating the effects 

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=123&topic_id=2785&sub_topic_id=2786&mesg_id=&page=

I don't mind. No worries.

awwwwww,  don't listen to all those idiots........they don't know good stuff when they see it ;)    I enjoyed the link....from there,  I watched the ten part sage of the Titanic sinking,  as well as the Britanic and the Lusitania.   folks who post such rubbish should be flogged!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 year later...

Inspiration returned.

Like a ninja climbing over the walls of Osaka Castle in a b-movie, the will, nay, need, to model LED-lighted wrecks in boxes slowly stalked, and finally cornered me ...

I've done a bit of thinking and I've decided to do just the bow of the wreck, lighted by an ROV hovering above it.

That way the whole thing can be kept within reasonable size. The size of the LED dictates the size of the ROV, and the size of the ROV dictates the size of the wreck (ROVs come in different sizes, I know. Somehow I just want a small one - Sea Owl-style).

Doing a bow section will allow me to sculpt a nice figurehead for the wreck, and I've found one I want to do:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7303-cooling-off-complete-with-chills-down-the-spine/

Even though I haven't worked on this project for a long time, I've been thinking about it a lot. All sorts of ideas, both bad and not so bad ones, have been considered. For example, I toyed with the idea of installing small fans in the bottom of the diorama box so that dust/pigment/something could be blown around to simulate silt being stirred up. It wouldn't work, but it would be cool if it did ...

For the wreck I've decided on a POL (Plank On Lump) approach. I've enlisted the help of my often-frowned-upon friend Mr Balsa Wood to create a bow shaped "lump", onto which planks and details will be attached.

post-5830-0-22174700-1421531425_thumb.jpg

post-5830-0-62654900-1421531440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Farbror Fartyg

Farbor Fartyg,

First of all, a late Happy New Year - ett sent Gott Nytt År!

I am so glad to see you back at this setting.
I know how it is being away from the "yard" for a while, then coming back..... looking at it, taking a deep breath and letting out the same deep sigh.

At the same being re-inspired and getting into it.

Looking forward the see more..... of the wreck in deep. :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry