HMS Victory by clearway - Billing Boats - 1/75

order for timber sheet and strip to replace the plywood pin rails, timber heads, kevels etc arrived today along with some 5mm anvil cleats for the shrouds from model dockyard. Also finished planking the poop deck, dry fitted the catheads and started planking the quarter deck as well as spraying the cannon barrels.

post-12326-0-45703500-1408127341_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-59619200-1408127361_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-86188800-1408127387_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-08183300-1408127406_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-00909300-1408127440_thumb.jpg

Next job after planking is finished is to open out the holes for hatches and masts and sand them- interesting to see the difference in shade between old planking and new.

Keith

Ty Geoff- still a lot of detail to go and not sure how to go about detailing the ornamentation as the billings laser-cut stuff is just plain with no detail except for the outline! Was going to invest in the caldercraft castings but at 1/72 scale they will be oversize- will have to get some dimensions off some of the caldercraft victory builders on here. Seeing your Santa Maria is making me feel guilty about ignoring my AL Pinta.

Keith

Nice build!

And sorry about your small companion!

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Ty Lawrence, i will be painting the stern galleries- as much as it pains me as i like all the wood effects! I have loads of spare veneer from other builds so used that to plank the stern and quarter galleries it just happens to be a nice colour contrast and as mentioned will be a shame.

Keith

Ty Foxy- i am going for the olde black n yellow for the colour sceme- thinking about using humbrol linen (matt 74) as this is a really subtle yellow.

Back to the build- not much done due to being press ganged by the mother in law to repair her fence today :P , but here is some more stern details added.

post-12326-0-10852500-1408908168_thumb.jpg

Keith

Edited by clearway

Wonderful job you are doing!

I am just curious why you primed and sanded back so much?

I am about to prime my Bluenose hull and wondering if it provides a better surface to paint?

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

Ty mrcc- it was primed and sanded back to remove the coarse wood grain- normally i would use high build primer but victory's hull has too much detail for this- well for me anyways! The hull will be primed again before final painting. You will end up with a smoother hull and better surface to paint but will lose any planking detail.

Keith

Edited by clearway

More timber added to the stern and made a start scratchbuilding some replacement catheads to replace the ply ones from the kit- someone gave me some hawthorn branches to chop for firewood and decided to use some of this- been seasoning in the shed for 12 months till i found a use for it!

post-12326-0-80505900-1409514890_thumb.jpg

post-12326-0-56784000-1409514921_thumb.jpg

Ply catheads on the left

post-12326-0-09850400-1409514940_thumb.jpg

keith

After a couple of evenings whittling and sanding to shape the new hawthorn catheads are now down to the correct size- only dry fitted at the moment till i finish the stern- grrrr nights getting darker so alfresco modelling in the evenings is nearly over- i do all my sanding outside if i can help it. New catheads deffo look better than the ply one laid beside them.

post-12326-0-60769800-1409687404_thumb.jpg

Keith