CUTTY SARK by keelhauled - Mantua - kit bashed - First wooden ship build

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Chassseur and Nenad!

Nenad, I agree about keelhauling the model author!  I've figured out the rigging situation with missing deadeyes and stays.  They should be ok and I don't think anyone will ever know unless I point it out.  There is nothing else to do with them at this point in time.  God only knows why the kit author/designer decided to leave them off.

thanks

Marc

You are right, Marc. Just yesterday, my family friends in visit, wanted to see my model, and after 10 minutes of UH OH AH WOW OMG etc, I pointed to my mistakes, and realised they did not see them at all, even they are very exposed in actual stage of build. For some kind of mistakes, you have to know every detail of original and to compare to be able to notice eventualy mistake (my corps, e.g.). I think this will be extreme rare situation, except you show your model on some competition when real experts will value your work

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

you've gone through a lot of effort....pretty amazing work,  if you ask me  ;)   nice work with the bow rail.  hopefully,  you'll figure a way to add the missing back stays.......either by adding the dead eyes,  or simple pendant with pulley assembly.    simply wonderful work!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hi Marc,

Just echo Dave's words above.

Superb build!!

Yup, I also noticed that a few backstays were missing, Fore and Main.

I made provision for these early on in my build by filling most of the holes in the Pin Rails, clamping a template to each and re-drilling.

I saying so, I don't think anyone will notice, the ship's Rigging is busy enough.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

• 5 months later...

Hi  HOF,

Great idea, but I'm way past the point of being able to go back and redrill the pinrail.  oh well. I can't believe anyone will really notice.  the missing stays were really just the doubling used for strength on the actual ship.

Cheers 

Marc

Hi everyone,

It's been quite a long time since I've posted any progress.  But, I have made quite a bit of progress over the past 5 months and although I haven't posted anything, I did take photos to share.  Over the next few post I'll try to catch up on where I am.

marc

Hi,

I don't seem to have photos of setting up the ratlines, but I'm sure that you've seen plenty.  Also I do have photos earlier of the ratlines.  I did make one change which is a knot that  Dan Vadas uses to finish the ratline.  I'll take a photo and post it later, but he has a great explanation.  I'll also look for the link to his post.  All of the stay at this point are served with chuck's machine.  Also the sail's eyes are served.  I used a method for forming the sails used described by Jersey Frank 

I used the Golden acrylic primer and applied it to the front and back of the sails.  I put brass rods through the eyes to keep the sail strait.  As it dried I pulled and used a hair dryer set on low to help form the belly. 20161219_221149.thumb.jpg.db0ba0202beacbe34ebd49c37b8846b0.jpg5900e1f402af8_sailwithbrassrods.thumb.jpg.e6ed1236046a15565b51acca6942a942.jpg

So here are my first results.5900dd5aa617e_staysail2.thumb.jpg.4a02b9eb9a3b47b39517c56c425acd9a.jpg5900dd5dbfb25_staysail3.thumb.jpg.616e04823af22c9c962c476971cd21a2.jpg5900dd61ef06f_staysail4.thumb.jpg.123790cb777fc9aea0b3400fc8a6b44a.jpg5900dd63ca16a_staysail5.thumb.jpg.0ef3017673e38304c94adb1300906f23.jpg

26 minutes ago, keelhauled said:

Hi,

I don't seem to have photos of setting up the ratlines, but I'm sure that you've seen plenty.  Also I do have photos earlier of the ratlines.  I did make one change which is a knot that  Dan Vadas uses to finish the ratline.  I'll take a photo and post it later, but he has a great explanation.  I'll also look for the link to his post.  All of the stay at this point are served with chuck's machine.  Also the sail's eyes are served.  I used a method for forming the sails used described by Jersey Frank 

I used the Golden acrylic primer and applied it to the front and back of the sails.  I put brass rods through the eyes to keep the sail strait.  As it dried I pulled and used a hair dryer set on low to help form the belly. 20161219_221149.thumb.jpg.db0ba0202beacbe34ebd49c37b8846b0.jpg5900e1f402af8_sailwithbrassrods.thumb.jpg.e6ed1236046a15565b51acca6942a942.jpg

So here are my first results.5900dd5aa617e_staysail2.thumb.jpg.4a02b9eb9a3b47b39517c56c425acd9a.jpg5900dd5dbfb25_staysail3.thumb.jpg.616e04823af22c9c962c476971cd21a2.jpg5900dd61ef06f_staysail4.thumb.jpg.123790cb777fc9aea0b3400fc8a6b44a.jpg5900dd63ca16a_staysail5.thumb.jpg.0ef3017673e38304c94adb1300906f23.jpg

The name of the knot at the end of the ratline is the cow hitch.  I can't find the link back to Danny's page right now, but here is Danny's image. I'll keep looking

marc

5900e9f1d5302_dannysCowhitch.jpg.3095436abf0347d4629128f58500fe68.jpg

In addition to adding the fore staysail and jibs, I added more stays to the bowsprit and boom

DSC_5049.thumb.JPG.a9fa01b53450cacbdaa2aec27dc48045.JPG

So here are the results for the fore stay sail and jibs. In these photos the otter jib hasn't been rigged and thus the droopy appearance.  But I'm happy with the forming of the sails.  

DSC_5047.thumb.JPG.4796d53ab1ebb044b73fc85c2e1f91f7.JPG

Also, i found that I could stiffen the lines using the CAG-400.  I placed it on the sheets which allowed the sails to keep their form and preventing the sails from rotating on the stays back toward the center line.

DSC_5046.thumb.JPG.b6d9e61452a9b8ec646f5c6aa22ce53d.JPG

DSC_5048.thumb.JPG.eaab84c244a739cf287c1a051a014c45.JPG

hopefully, you can see how much the fore stay sail and inner jib stick out overboard and that the sheets are angled back onboard to the forecastle.

So I got to this point and was proud of the way that the sails and sheets looked.  Then I noticed a big issue.  next post I'll explain why I had to take all of the sails back off the ship.

Marc

good to see you've been back to the table!   great progress,  but sorry to hear you've hit a snag.   hope it isn't serious ;)    welcome back!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

What happens to the other half of that cow hitch? When I was rattling down back in the day, we used to put an eye splice on the forward end and seize it to the forward shroud, clove hitch the middle shrouds and an eye splice seized to the aftermost shroud always making sure not to put tension between the shrouds so as not to pull them together inadvertently.  I don't see where a cow hitch is best used for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response.  I ended up in the Hospital and recovery for a few days.  They love to cut you open.

Thanks for the reply Popeye.  No big issues on the ship just a few steps backwards.

Sailor1234567890, the method you describe is probably the better way.  in my model Clove hitches are used for the middle shrouds and then a cow hitch is used at the ends as an alternative to using clove hitches.  The cow hitch prevents the nibs at the end of the shrouds that occurs if you fun clove hitches to the end.  just another way of representing the terminal end of the ratline.

Thanks

Marc

So, as I was admiring my handy work. and how nice the sheets looked -taunt to the pin like they were keeping the sails from flying away.  Then I noticed a big problem. take a look - did you notice the problem? 

DSC_5046.thumb.JPG.b6d9e61452a9b8ec646f5c6aa22ce53d.JPG

The sails and sheets are too low.  There will not be any clearance for going over the rails.:default_wallbash:

So, instead of dealing with this, I went and finished the ratlines for the shrouds. I bought equipment and built a nice workbench for the new equipment (new Byrnes toys!).  Who says that shopping isn't fun?  It's the type of shopping.

My New Disc Sander, thickness sander and drill. 5910ef632223c_disksander.thumb.jpg.415eb1ad10f52304ecda2f1553b2dd50.jpgsander.thumb.jpg.4ac4df66786bed587ee5aa89810e40a1.jpgdrill.thumb.jpg.a636251e31707263243a007b0d774168.jpg

My ratlines finished for the fore mast

shrouds.thumb.jpg.87bec4271a5f58187478e5d580bbf9e8.jpg

After admiring my toys and rigging,  I un-bent the sails. removed the sheets, blocks, etc.  I installed the rails and then bent the sails and rigged the sheets

5910eca074719_bow1a.thumb.jpg.553b12a280a44a1fcfc180e9b4f7bead.jpg5910eca4bd5e7_forecastle3.thumb.jpg.05a69747f9e6e69088189062ff903349.jpgjibs.thumb.jpg.6402e832934e2876d60b8f585599ed22.jpg

5910ecadee972_shrouds2.thumb.jpg.22f9c804e8e94926b366bcafe17e9687.jpg

Excellent work with your sails especially the sewing and needle work. Scaling looks great indeed.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael and Lou,

Thanks for the complements. 

Michael,

I did about 50% of the needle work on the sails.  Redak of www.radekshipmodels.cz did the other 50%.  He worked with me on getting the initial work and a basic suit of CNC sails. You can check out some of my post on page 8.  I added all of the bolt ropes. served eyes, etc. as well as 100% of some of the sails (As my sewing skills improved, I took a shot at experimenting with reshaping a couple of sails).  I really like the translucence of the cloth.  Our cloths are slightly different, but at six inches you can't tell the difference.  

It took about the same amount of time to sew and detail the sails as it did to plank and copper the hull - maybe longer.

Lou,

The actual hawse pipes on the bow are made from scrap booking eyes, which I've bent and shaped into ovals with a rat tail file and heating.

For the anchor chain pipes that I made from eyes for scrap booking and a wooden dowel.  I drilled the dowel from the bottom and side so that the chain can actually run through them.  I used two sizes of the eyes.

post-606-0-52411500-1443840339_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Marc

neat way to make the chain gates........nice bit of detail!    the sails look nice.......and yes,  I totally missed that you didn't have the railings on!   bot.....what a dummy I am!    but your Cutty looks awesome,  and your doing a swell job :)   keep up the fantastic work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Howdy friend, hope this finds you fit and well.  Have been watching your thread and have to admit I am gleaning ideas from it and details.  I am building a Marine Models Company Cutty and your clean precision building is helping me add the missing details.  Look forward to more when you are up to it and the build juices are flowing.

IMG_2282.JPG

Hello Marc

You made nice progress with your build, which turns me on to proceed with my build which is on "stand by" state, because of different reasons

I hope to be more active soon

All the best

Nenad

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Popeye,   You're no dummy, I'm missed installing the rails on the actual ship.  :o  then I realized that I had glued the chain on the deck without allowing enough slack it feed it over the gears of the which!:default_wallbash:  It's been bothering me since I went into the hospital three weeks back.  For some reason it hit me while I was laying in the hospital bed.  After teleworking, I went into my shop and and addressed the situation this afternoon.  Don't tell my Admiral, I'm supposed to be in bed recovering.  But now that I can walk and stand I had to take a shot.  I only lasted an hour before I needed to go back and rest, but I managed to break my anchor chain, tear up the deck planking and break my windlass.:(  one step forward two steps back seems to be a recurring theme for me lately!

Shiphile, thanks for the compliment.  Do you have a build log yet?  I'd like to see your progress.

Nenad! I'm so pleased you checked in!  You have so much going on now!!  I hear your Cutty calling, but she'll wait for you!  Hopefully once I've recovered I can make up some build time while you take some away from your build -- you are always showing me up with all of your progress:D.  I still think you'll finish before I do.  Not that it is a race.

Thanks!

Marc

am I reading right....teleworking........while your recovering?!?!   what kind of company do you work for?   hope your feeling better ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

More catching up on the build.

I built the billboards and installed them before the surgery.  My painting might not be the best, but I think it turned out ok

billboards.thumb.jpg.857e6b931f6976f1b59faca4d692e03f.jpg59235c1a2c3a6_bowc.thumb.jpg.94d5fb3840580f6738ade6e68a12fbc9.jpg

bow.thumb.jpg.2c6a09621dfa21504244e5f6fa2be343.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

looks awesome Marc!   nice paint work on the trail boards ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye!  I appreciate the feedback.  By the way you have quite a pirate ship you're working on in addition to your clipper.  very nice!

thanks Marc.......but you know,  for as long as you've been working on this build,  she looks really good.  you must cover her when your not working on her.  if you can come up with a ship that looks this good...imagine what you can come up with,  working in 'real time' ;) 

I know.........you don't have to say.........life and work always gets in the way.  it does to me whenever it can......but I try not to let it.   still......it's best to take one's time .....breathe and take it all in.

but not in L.A........to much smog,  don'tcha know ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Dennis.  Life does get in the way.  Although, I wouldn't have it any other way ;).

Spent this evening in the ship yard serving lines.  All of the Cutty's standing rigging is fully served.  I must have spent hundreds of hours now on Chuck's serving machine.  Tonight was the topmast shrouds and the t'gallent stays. My fore arm is killing me now.  I must endure pain for my craft!:P

So more progress while I continue to serve lines for the  standing rigging of the main mast.

Here  are some shots of the sheets for the fore staysail and jibs belayed .594c7d494cfab_forecastle2.thumb.jpg.793c67ee5b9e298ab073c5bd98d9a367.jpg

594c7d494cfab_forecastle2.thumb.jpg.793c67ee5b9e298ab073c5bd98d9a367.jpg

A few shots of the shrouds with the deadeye lanyards finished with cow hitches per cambell.  Also the fairleads have been attached for the running rigging

594c7d5257bc2_shroudswithfairleads2.thumb.jpg.a271f317394095852d9cf1ee4db12bf2.jpg594c7d56d2860_shroudswithfairleads.thumb.jpg.d6456a8d1ecc773c8d107f113ac79efb.jpg

A couple of shots checking the alignment of the masts.  You can't see it in the photos, but I used a suspended plumb bob and levels on the hull to check the vertical alignment.bowsprit.thumb.jpg.411edfb00d5e0446d3b3481b608a3719.jpg594c7d410a1e7_bowspritandalign.thumb.jpg.56bfcd8efc38f6b37f262cdf087ef772.jpg

Here is a photo of the course being formed using the same method as used for the jibs.

594c7d28c9060_coursebeingformed.thumb.jpg.0906e8ca253cfe9755478ea1e3ec3523.jpg

forecastle.jpg

Briliant work!

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build: