Using taper jig on Byrnes table saw

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of working on the wales for my Pegasus, and plan on adding two rows of top and butt planking.  Earlier for my deck, I added top and butt planks, but those were hand-cut as the maple I was using was only 0.5mm thick.

I'm using 2mm pear for the wales.  I was thinking about using the taper jig on the Byrnes table saw to cut identical planks.  Since I'd like to keep all my digits, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for using the taper jig.  Specifically, how does one set up the hold downs for the plank?  The planks are only going to be about 6mm wide and maybe 135mm long, which doesn't leave much clearance from the saw blade.

Also, is it worth considering stacking up a bunch of planks and running them through the saw at once?  If so, how do you hold them all down?  Do you glue them together, cut the two tapers, then use isopropyl alcohol to separate them?  Or is it just better to cut each plank individually?

Thanks very much in advance!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

Have you checked Danny's Vulture log?  I vaguely recall that he did his anchor stock planking using the jig.  It might have been a homemade jig though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Greg, that's very helpful.  I believe I saw similar pictures in TFFM 3?

This might seem like a dumb question, but how and where did you use the push stick?  Do you hold the knurled knob on the taper jig to keep the jig against the fence, and with your left hand, hold the wood strip against the taper jig?  In your second picture, it seems like the push stick would have to be very thin, like on the order of a few millimeters given the small angle on the jig.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Although I don't own this particular saw, I have and use a tapering jig for my old Preac. Note the lip on the end of the jig against which the stock sits. That in itself helps to push the stock through the blade. I normally stand on the right of the saw and with my right-hand fingers or a push stick held in my right hand (depending on the width of the stock) press the stock against that lip and into the taper jig while pushing the jig toward the blade with my left hand making sure the jig stays tight against the rip fence.

Cheers -

John

John, thanks very much for that.  That seems to be the safest approach.  I'd like to keep all my fingers, so just wanted to make sure that I reached out to see what others with more experience are doing.   :rolleyes:

Mike

Greg makes it look so easy.  He's a master!

Maury

John - I use the knurled knob for moving the piece and just use a push stick to sandwich the end against the jig until the cut begins. It will stay in place once the blade starts cutting. The key, as always, is in the setup. It takes some trial and error to establish the correct angle and point of initial plunge cut into the wood. Once established, I make all the cuts on the blanks at the same time. Then the opposite end setup is established and the process repeated. Some adjustment may be necessary at the bow and stern due to tapering or widening of the strakes. However, my clever solution of only showing a small section of planked hull avoids this!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you Greg, that's very helpful.  Appreciate you chiming in!

Mike