HMS Victory by John Allen - Mamoli - Scale 1:90 - 5th build

Making a cat Gumbo,   :angry: the little darling knocked over Victory snapping off the tops of the 3 masts. Got extremely lucky and was able to repair by inserting brass pins and putting back in place minus having to do some re-rigging.

If you see last posted pic Mizzen shrouds looked horrible cut all those out and re-did those too. (how many knots in ratlines time 6 redos?

All that being said futtock shrouds and catharpins went well. Can finally start rigging albeit 3 months late.

Footnote the boss rescued the cat from the pot, and said the blankest will be on the couch :(

post-2805-0-71982300-1463925561_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-54897100-1463925593_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-42966600-1463925610_thumb.jpg

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Wow! Looks great! Your doing a great job. The ratlines look neat..

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Scott,

Thanks for the kind comment. I'm glad I chose to re-do all makes a big difference

Thanks again john

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Well done on the repairs John. I think the cat may have been suggesting a need for a re-do..............? Whatever the cause, the latest work looks great.

So, I guess the cat is down to eight lives?

Grant,

Thanks for the comment.

After snapping the tops off the 3 masts she is living on borrowed time. Mamas baby can do no wrong.

At least repairs were fairly easy, versus having to redo the masts, shrouds and ratlines. Mamas baby or not we would  have had a cat gumbo and I would just suffer the consequences later.

Thanks

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 2 months later...

Marc

Thanks for the kind comment 

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 1 month later...

Update pics. Have finally got what is my favorite and easiest part the rigging and setting the yards. Had numerous ups and downs wish I had  been more diligent int the beginning with the badly warped decks and stern gallery pieces should have cut new ones instead of trying to flatten and use the warped ones, had to order numerous items that were missing strops dead eyes line lumber on and on . Any way got past all that did the shrouds and ratlines twice got past that, three broken mast tops (mamas adorable babies   :pirate41:  cats) 1 broken mast top with rigging installed got past that (an I dealing with the Titanic. Oh a note for manufacturers in your directions gun port lids should not be installed in the beginning  of a build but at the end so a dummy like me will not knock them off like I did (16 off and re a fix)   By the way the pic of mans best friend Mack the Dane 10 yrs. Charlie the Dachshund 15 blind cataracts Mack takes care of Charlie he doesn't bump into too many walls both have the arthritis. Thought they would take care of my  3 cat problems, sadly they all sleep together will have to take care of Mamas precious :pirate41:    little babies myself

post-2805-0-54928400-1473451183_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-95935300-1473451216_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-02221400-1473451243_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-97643600-1473451258_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-35977800-1473451298_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-87806600-1473451319_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-60979100-1473451464.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Great Job John.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Your rigging is coming along really nice.  

I have to say, you have incredible patience and outlook considering the set backs.  Were your shrouds served?  I think I would have had to go on vacation if they were.  i don't know how they are on the Victory, but on the Cutty Sark they served every shroud and stay from the dead eye to the the mast - drives me crazy.  If it had been me I don't know what I would have done. Although I had a room mate that accidentally snapped off my jib boom just after I finished the last knot on my model of the Constitution and he's still alive.  

You still have a great deal of patience and forgiveness!

Keep up the great work!

marc

Your rigging is coming along really nice.  

I have to say, you have incredible patience and outlook considering the set backs.  Were your shrouds served?  I think I would have had to go on vacation if they were.  i don't know how they are on the Victory, but on the Cutty Sark they served every shroud and stay from the dead eye to the the mast - drives me crazy.  If it had been me I don't know what I would have done. Although I had a room mate that accidentally snapped off my jib boom just after I finished the last knot on my model of the Constitution and he's still alive.  

You still have a great deal of patience and forgiveness!

Keep up the great work!

marc

Thanks Marc and Keith shrouds were served it got to where I could lay the ratlines without any jig or lined back paper whipped through them by line of sight. I did do the bottom and top line first, then one at 1/4 then 3/4 then filled them in spacing always worked out

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Lawrence,

Thanks for the kind comments, looking back it may have been a little more than my skill set was capable of handling when I started. There are many things I would have changed or done differently but got to far ahead and when I realized I could or should have done something. It will be finished with some scars & blemishes but I am really glad I made mistakes on a complicated build (doesn't make sense does it) because I know now I will be better able to handle any build from here on out.

The next Victory I build will be perfect no scars no blemishes no errors.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

• 1 month later...

my my John..........what a story!   she looks great in spite of all the problems you had.   I only have one dog........he's more than enough!  ;)   yep.......after hearing all the cat trilogies..........I'm glad I have a dog  :)

you must not have too much more to go..........keep up the good work.......she looks sweet!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch