It's a shame politics or the lack there of has to infiltrate hobbies

mtdoramike

I had often thought of building the Confederacy as a donation model. But after talking to a few people, I realize that my efforts would probably be in vein to even get an organization to even accept it especially with the racial tensions swirling in the US lately and the fact that every place is either taking down the stars and bars flags or contemplating it in the Southern states. 

What a shame, it's such a magnificent ship and deserves it's place in history no matter how rocky that history may have been.

mike     

The frigate CONFEDERACY has nothing to do with the Confederate States of America.  It is named after the country formed under the Articles of Confederation, i.e. the United States.  Build the model!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck, I understand she actually had nothing to do with the war between the states, she was much to early for that, but there is a perception in the name and being in the deep South, I still have reservations about building it as a donation. I have mentioned the Confederacy to a few places before that I had thought about donating a ship model to and they weren't really enthused about it, but mention the Constitution, they were all about that model.

mike 

I'm with Chuck.   I would say have no reservations what so ever.  Put a small plaque on it giving the date of launch and maybe something like "one of the original US frigates".  If the organization is too stupid to realize this isn't related to the "recent unpleasantness" then they don't deserve it. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What can I say being a Yankee moving south now I'm called a damn Yankee because I stayed. Sadly narrow minded people abound multiply and swell the tide of ignorance.

If a wood model being built by a modeler & hobbyist is offensive to anyone than damn their torpedoes and full speed ahead. You should not be browbeat or intimidated by ignorance.

BUILD IT many museums would love to have it as a donation. Sea Quest a state of the art Museum just opened in Mobile and would love to have it. I am going to build a CSS Alabama and donate it. History even though ugly and perverse should not be rewritten or erased.

I've said to much.

Good Luck John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Mike, a suggestion: When you mention the USS Confederacy tell them it is the "sister ship to the USS Constitution" !  Whether true or not, they are probably too uninformed to know the difference.

Go build the model and have fun building it !