HMB Endeavour by cobra1951 - OcCre - 1:54

G'day Bob, your off to a good start, never built an Occre kit before, so I will follow yours with interest,

best regards John.

Thanks John :) . Seem to be good kits, materials are good and so are the instructions. The only little gripe i have is that they use Lime wood instead of Walnut and tell you to paint it to look like Walnut, but as the Occre kits are fairly cheap compared to some others then it's to be expected that they are saving money to keep the cost down ;)

Would it be feasible to stain all the lime wood a walnut color before installing it on the ship? That way all the wood would be the proper coloring and only touch ups would be needed after it has been cut and installed.

I guess another option would be to replace the lime with actual walnut and since the kits are cheaper that might be affordable.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

HI EJ

I could stain it but i have found in the past that the wood does not glue as good as non stained wood. I have replaced wood in the past and almost doubled the price of the kit i was building, and not having a good supplier near me you end up replacing the replacement wood because you cannot tell what you are getting  :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Wow, you have been very busy Bob! Nice work, what kind of wood is that?

Thanks Don :)

It's 0.6mm x 5mm Lime wood but it has a good amount of grain in it :)

The bottom deck is the same wood but with no visible grain to it, as the bottom deck is not visible later on i though i would plank it with some Lime i had lying about and save the grainy kit supplied stuff for later in the build ;)

Edited by Cobr@

Nice work Bob! That 4 butt shift pattern looks sweet.

Ian

Thanks Ian :)

Count again though it's a 5 butt :huh:. I use 5 butt shifts because it doesn't make the deck look overloaded with joints  :D 

Bob,

Oh no, I am hardly the one to argue this :o, except to say that my Victory manual calls it the 4 butt shift system - I can only surmise, if they are correct, that there are 4 shifting planks before the 5th one is again in alignment. Anyway, this is the pattern that I used as well. I guess maybe we can get the popcorn out and watch this debate play out.

Best, Ian

Hi Ian

Having double checked you are indeed correct, my bad interpretation of the planking rule :)

Still my favorite one though :D

Edited by Cobr@

My favorite too - great for big builds. Anyway keep the lovely job going. I've pulled up a chair.

Ian

Nicely done on the decking. Joints and treenails look fantastic and I like that grain pattern in the wood a lot. Excellent job!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

You are screaming along there Bob.  Man, those deck planks look great for basswood.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Mike :) normally I don't like planking with Lime/Basswood but after a test with the kit supplied stuff I thought it was good enough to go ahead with :)

Thanks Frank :)

Progress was faster than normal for two reasons, 1, i had more time to get on with it and 2, i used CA for all the planking which means the one you just laid is dry before you put the simulated caulking mark on the next one. I find with PVA i need to hold the plank down for a bit till it grabs

I agree with you Bob. I've found with CA for the 'nails' and PVA down the edges there's virtually no waiting.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Painted and planked the inside of the bulwarks.

The first row of planks, where the deck and the bulwarks meet, were painted before fitting, to give a nice tidy edge

post-11947-0-32821900-1475152154_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-69201000-1475152186_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

Not a fan of contact adhesive myself. Up to now everything assembled has been done with CA, i don't get too much leakage as i apply it with a cocktail stick. For simulated caulking i use a Sharpie felt pen. :)

Looking good Bob, I'm a ca fan also. When treated right it can be your friend, just remember when you glue your finger down(and we all do) do not try to pull it off but always twist it off.  :)

I don't think you can build a model ship without blood, sweat, tears and some glued skin.  :P 

Those bulwarks look great. Prepainting is always a good idea. Keeps the paint where it belongs and you can always do small touch ups if needed.  

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart