HMB Endeavour by cobra1951 - OcCre - 1:54

First thank you for all the like and remarks and input, much appreciated :) :) :)

I was waiting for the first problem to pop up and here it is.

4 blocks of Balsa to make the shape of the bluff bow

post-11947-0-92350100-1476521419_thumb.jpg

2 blocks to be fitted each side into the space at the bow

post-11947-0-79427300-1476521462_thumb.jpg

The problem is Occre have supplied blocks meant for a smaller kit

They measure            15mm x 80mm x 100mm

But they should be      23mm x 80mm x 115mm

So no chance of filling the spaces at the bow.

I will contact my supplier on Monday to get replacements, So there will be a delay in the build until they arrive :huh:

Hi Robin :)

There is no model shop in Liverpool anymore, the one that used to be did not stock wood etc only plastic kits and train sets.

Also my supplier has no stock of the required size according to their website :o

So i will have to wait anyway :huh:

:o

Liverpool...once the centre of the shipping universe...and no decent model shop.

What has become of this world  :(

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

:o

Liverpool...once the centre of the shipping universe...and no decent model shop.

What has become of this world  :(

You got that right :huh: :huh: :huh:

Ever been looking for model wood in Rotterdam ... it's not as easy as it used to be ... quite a few modelshops are gone ... long live the shop killer ... internet ... but it has it's own advantages ... you can enjoy your build much longer Bob :)

Couldn't you start with what you've got on one side ... at least you will have something to do whilst you wait for the missing pieces ;) Wouldn't want you to go cold turkey :P

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ever been looking for model wood in Rotterdam ... it's not as easy as it used to be ... quite a few modelshops are gone ... long live the shop killer ... internet ... but it has it's own advantages ... you can enjoy your build much longer Bob :)

Couldn't you start with what you've got on one side ... at least you will have something to do whilst you wait for the missing pieces ;) Wouldn't want you to go cold turkey :P

Yes the internet has killed off a lot of businesses. :(

It would be nice to be able to go and choose your own woods without having to put up with what your given :huh:

I could do one side out of the 4 pieces but i don't fancy patch working them plus i would have to wait until i did the other side to do the final sanding anyway.

The more i can delay the sanding process the happier i am :D :D :D  so i will wait ;)

That's ok Bob, it's the weekend relax, sit back and have a couple of refreshments

That's ok Bob, it's the weekend relax, sit back and have a couple of refreshments

6 tubes of pringles should sort it :D :D :D

Hi Paul :)

There probably is but as i do not mind waiting to be supplied with what i have already paid for and i am in no rush to finish it (in fact i'm happy for the delay as it stretches out the sanding job lol)  i'm not going to bother looking :) :) :)

I could get on with other jobs on the build but i want to build it in the manual order (unless as sometimes happens the manual is being silly) because in the past i have ended up forgetting to do stuff and then having to go back later and do it :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Finally finished the first planking

attachicon.gif40.JPG

attachicon.gif41.JPG

Hi Bob,

Have you left room for the rudder stock to pass up to the deck ? and room for the rudder to pivot.

I added extra supports either side, for the planks to glue to and the hatch between. 

post-13593-0-64952000-1476659471_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Dave :)
Yes I there is room for the rudder etc. I think the construction of yours and mine will be different as they are from different manufacturers. Mine called for two strengthening pieces to be fitted either side of the keel at the stern end. Then they tell you to file out the space in between the strengtheners. I did it differently be cutting the piece out of the keel then fitting the strengtheners with the appropriate gap in between them. Awkward as most of the stern is built before it's mentioned.

You can just see the slot in between the two center strengthening pieces in the  center of where the transom will be

post-11947-0-82490600-1476724719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

nice planking job Bob

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just curious Bob - do the nails stay in or are they just for holding in place?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I remove the nails as well.........they are merely to hold the planks in place til they dry ;)   they live to plank another day.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I do the same. I've been using a lot of the same nails for years though a lot of them got turned into hinge pins on my current build. ;)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

I have the pin pusher for the 7 mm brads.   I have the 10 mm brads as well......but so far,  I've used them for levers and dash buttons,  since they have a visible head on them.  the 7 mm do well for small bolts and rivets on particular pieces of deck furniture.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ok, I agree about the nails............but what the heck is Scouse? 

It's a very thick stew :)

First made as it was a cheap way of feeding a family as most stews are. If it's made with no meat and just vegetables it's called blind scouse ;)

Edited by Cobr@

Thanks Frank :)

A lot of the time I use push pins on the first planking instead of nails. It stops the planks riding up like they sometimes do on nails

Edited by Cobr@

OK - I get the nails for holding planks. But if you take them out what do you do with the holes?

So far I haven't used nails for planking. CA is my 'nail' at the frame and I use PVA down the long edge.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

On the first layer of planks i do nothing with the holes as they will be covered by the second layer.

For the second layer i don't use nails, like you i use CA along the full length of the bottom, but not along the edges so it doesn't squeeze out between the planks

Edited by Cobr@