HMB Endeavour by cobra1951 - OcCre - 1:54

Started On some of the hatchways

The kit supplies Lime wood for this and says to paint it a Walnut colour

Forecastle deck hatch

post-11947-0-96587900-1475311097_thumb.jpg

Hatch painted and glued in place on the deck

post-11947-0-97783400-1475311127_thumb.jpg

For some unknown reason the manual says to make up a ladder then cut it short, Then glue a block onto the lower deck and fit the ladder on to this, as show in the following photo

post-11947-0-38156600-1475311216_thumb.jpg

This seemed to be ridiculous because the ladder will reach the deck anyway, so i left it the correct length and fitted it directly on to the deck and omitted the block

post-11947-0-10915100-1475311349_thumb.jpg

But, Bob, what have you done :o now the ship's midgets can escape from the lower hull deck :D :D :D

Yes it did look (a bit) silly, i.e. the block underneath the ladder

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks Frank :)

It won't even be seen once the hull is planked, except the very top of it in the hatchway, but i decided if it's going to be there it's going to be a whole ladder not half a ladder and a block of waste wood :huh:

Edited by Cobr@

Good choice with the ladder Bob, I wonder why they would suggest that, makes no sense

Good choice with the ladder Bob, I wonder why they would suggest that, makes no sense

Thanks Don :)

When i saw it that was my first thought too, with a few expletives in there :D

The manual said to construct the main hatch in place in the deck but i thought it was easier to do it on my workspace

Underneath view shows the ridge that fits in the hole on the deck

post-11947-0-21973300-1475502444_thumb.jpg

Main hatch finished with blackened eye bolts an rings fitted

post-11947-0-67923200-1475502532_thumb.jpg

Main hatch in place in the deck

post-11947-0-50324200-1475502624_thumb.jpg

Nice job with that hatch! What do you use to blacken the parts?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Elijah :)

I use Krick brass blackener on my brass work.

I tried Birchwood Casey blackener but with no success. Having said that it may well have been the nasty brass I tried it on as some are better quality.

That hatch is excellent. I may have to give that blackening agent a try.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Elijah :)

I use Krick brass blackener on my brass work.

I tried Birchwood Casey blackener but with no success. Having said that it may well have been the nasty brass I tried it on as some are better quality.

With my AL San Francisco cross section kit, I tried to blacken the brass (supposedly) cannon with Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue and didn't work.

However, it succeeded with the steel cannonballs.

That hatch is excellent. I may have to give that blackening agent a try.

Thanks EJ :)

The Krick stuff works best if the solution is 50/50 agent to water and it is warm. I put whatever i am blackening in a plastic container and put just enough in to cover it then i float the container in a bowl etc filled with boiling water and keep topping the boiling water up periodically until the desired colour is acheived

With my AL San Francisco cross section kit, I tried to blacken the brass (supposedly) cannon with Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue and didn't work.

However, it succeeded with the steel cannonballs.

Brass is very difficult to blacken properly compared to other metals, and the Birchwood Casey stuff is mainly designed for blackening metal gun parts.

Others however have had great success with it

Many thanks for all the comments and likes they are very much appreciated :) :) :)

Small update

I have fitted the end deck finishing planks and the framing around the rudder hatch

Note the free dog hair supplied with the main hatch cover :D

post-11947-0-52716400-1475518415_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-55007100-1475518434_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-80527300-1475518497_thumb.jpg

Nice touch, the dog's rope ;) or is it one of the cat's tails ... a bit early to get that out of the red baize bag ...

I've always wondered, the planks on that main hatch cover must have been like beams if you need eyebolts like that on them to lift them ... what's the 1:1 size of them?

Carl

Probably the iron on those Hatch Boards is over scale, also every hatch board I have seen had the lifting rings recessed when not in use. Hatch Boards were used to seal up an opening in the deck from the elements and were usually covered with a water proofed hatch cover made of canvas. There should be provisions for a ring or Battens and wedges around these types of hatches, unless it is a fish hold and water getting in did not mater. Grates were used for ventilation and warships using black powder needed a lot of ventilation, merchant ships wanted water tight spaces below decks to protect their cargo, hence the differences in covers.

jud 

Nice touch, the dog's rope ;) or is it one of the cat's tails ... a bit early to get that out of the red baize bag ...

I've always wondered, the planks on that main hatch cover must have been like beams if you need eyebolts like that on them to lift them ... what's the 1:1 size of them?

Probably the iron on those Hatch Boards is over scale, also every hatch board I have seen had the lifting rings recessed when not in use. Hatch Boards were used to seal up an opening in the deck from the elements and were usually covered with a water proofed hatch cover made of canvas. There should be provisions for a ring or Battens and wedges around these types of hatches, unless it is a fish hold and water getting in did not mater. Grates were used for ventilation and warships using black powder needed a lot of ventilation, merchant ships wanted water tight spaces below decks to protect their cargo, hence the differences in covers.

jud 

Thanks for the comments guys

I agree they are oversize, but i don't really care i am building it OOB just for the fun of it. :) :) :)

The coverings I know from the barges on the IJssel and the Rhine. However, those don't have the rings, and look way lighter than the impression I get here. I know contemporary materials are lighter, and we can do much more with the power tools available to us, but it struck me to see it this heavy

Carl

The coverings I know from the barges on the IJssel and the Rhine. However, those don't have the rings, and look way lighter than the impression I get here. I know contemporary materials are lighter, and we can do much more with the power tools available to us, but it struck me to see it this heavy

The crew could probably have lifted them without rings as they are only planks over the hatchway to cover it. How accurate it is i do not know but i am just building it as the manual states with hardly any modifications. Historical accuracy is not that important to me :)

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Cobra

Just a quick hi. I was born in Liverpool and lived there till i was 20 so a Scouscer my self. Been looking at and going to get a kit of the Endeavour myself. So will be keeping an eye on your log. Can I just ask you said the hatchers should be painted Walnut colour. Why could you not just make them out of Walnut?

rob

Current and my First Build  H M Bark Endeavour.

Hi Rob :)

I could easily make them out of walnut but i don't want to be replacing all the wood in the kit (been there and done that) some times you replace it and the stuff that arrives in the post needs replacing too and you can easily double the price of the kit that way.

Occre kits are pretty cheap compared to others so i don't mind too much making bits from Lime and then painting them Walnut colour :)

The Occre Endeavour is cheaper than the other Endeavours but it is larger and has the sails included so a bit of painting is ok :)

Edited by Cobr@

I too get the stray dog hairs on my work. Found one glued to a port lid the other night. Must have gotten right in there when I was installing and I overlooked it. I don't mind those as much as when I see one of mine and I start feeling feeling for that receding hairline that runs in my family.  :P 

As too the hatch covers, I would think that they would be rather heavy duty in order to both stay as water tight as possible and not to easily come unseated in rough seas. I could easily see two people having to lift them up and out of the way. Large rings would be a benefit here so that a sailor could get both hands into the ring to lift it.

Either way, hatch looks great! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild