Armed Virginia Sloop by PamW - scale 1/24 - enlarged Model Shipways plans

Looking forward to this one Pamela.  I expect great things.   :P

Have you decided what kind of woods you are going to be using?

I was pretty happy with how the walnut looked on my hull, and of course the keel & bow post are all walnut as well.  Another good wood I believe would be cherry, although I only used it for contrast on some deck furniture.

There are a couple of logs here done by DocBlake (Dave) in the kit section, here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10979-armed-virginia-sloop-patrick-henry-by-docblake-finished-lauck-street-shipyard-scale-132-pof-admiralty-style/

and here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6998-armed-virginia-sloop-by-docblake/?hl=%2Barmed+%2Bvirginia+%2Bsloop

Where he uses no paint, and only the wood for coloring, and his choices of woods were quite nice looking if you want to take a look at them.

I've got my chair.  28" sounds like a nice size.  But you need to get some sleep.  "Found the drawing tools at 6:21 PM last night, Placed an order for wood at 3:24 AM this morning and posted at 7:11 AM."  Worked all night, how do you do that?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Pamela! 

I love the idea of this model in the monstrous 1/24 scale!  My Battle Station is 1/24 and the potential for detailing his huge.  My ultimate plan is to scratch-build the "Hannah" in that scale.  I'll be following along.

As to wood, holly for decking, rosewood for hatch coamings and some deck furniture, boxwood or yellow heart and bloodwood for bulwark plankings all can work.  Cherry is a nice wood to work with also.  I can't wait to see how this one comes out.  Good luck and have fun!

I purchased the Model Shipways CD that contains Dr. Feldman's original book on building the AVS (as well as "Fair American and another ship).  Feldman's model is 3/8" scale, but I found it very useful in building my AVS in 1/48.  It's worth the price for all the how-to's for scratch building this model.  Here's a link:

http://www.seaways.com/CAFCD.html

Pamela,

Best of luck to you. Like your enthusiasm! I too have started a build enlarging the POB II plans from 1:64 to 1:48 scale. I will be following along for sure!

Question; What are you using to cut out all of your parts? And what will be your approach to replacing castings for your new scale?

Sincere Regards,

Bill

Edited by Bill Hime

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

And what will be your approach to replacing castings for your new scale?

Based on the scratch built models she has on display in The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad, CA...  My guess is she is just going to make everything from scratch and make us all drool.   :P

Found teak.....holy crap. Smallest piece they had was 8'x5.5"x3/4".......cost 60 bucks. Took it to the museum and used the cross cut saw to cut off 24"... then the industrial table saw to rip that in half. Now it's manageable for my little one. Stuff smells funky.....oily.....gorgeous color.

Pamela

Grrr......need to figure out how to make images smaller than 2 meg

Edited by PamW

Teak? Yep.. very pricey and very lovely.    

To reduce the images, there's some freeware out there. If you're using Window, then Paint can handle that.  Just do the "resize' function nd drop the image size down to 1600 X 1600 (not the file size as that will drop when the image is reduced to the forum parameters.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've cut 6 of those planks so far.......almost perfect. I'll finish ripping the 24"x1.5" piece down then figure out how wide they need to be. These will get mounted to the sub deck which instead of the basswood like in the kit....I still have a large piece of 1/16" aircraft plywood left over from a huge model airplane.

Not a bad smell then?  :)     I would hope you have enough planks... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Smell is not bad at all....unique tho.

Yes I am sure I have enough to do the main and quarter deck.

Seeing the museum is closed today I can make the templates without interuption. The conference table is perfect for this.

I was asked earlier what I use to cut everything.... you have seen my micro mark table saw....also a porter cable scroll....a rigid oscillating belt/post sander.....need to borrow or buy a small band saw to make rough sawing go quicker.

Hoping to receive the walnut and poplar this coming week.

Pamela

Poplar is available at hardware stores like Home Depot in standard board sizes. Then you can choose the color of the wood to stay away from the green.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Nice work on the planks.  Teak has the same problem a lot of exotics do:  oil and resin that might affect gluing.  For rosewood, I sand pretty roughly the gluing surface and then wipe it down with a solvent - usually acetone.  Here's a useful link:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/gluing-oily-tropical-hardwoods/