US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Sorry to hear that Rich

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Doctor took the bandages off and gave me burn garments that have the fingers exposed!!! Hooray...I can tie knots again! :champagne:

ratlines 001.JPG

ratlines 002.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Glad it is getting better. Hope your healing continues with no problems.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

13 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Glad it is getting better. Hope your healing continues with no problems.

Thanks, Jesse and Kevin :10_1_10:

On 8/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, tigerdvr said:

The flight simulator in the background peaks ones interest, mirrors to check your six!

Hope the hands continue to improve.

Cheers, Harley

Harley,

You've got good eyes. I built that simulator for my grandson, but he grew tired of flying it,  I never tire of flying (flew for 30 years in USMC and TWA)

• 2 weeks later...

How are your hands Rich?

8 hours ago, JesseLee said:

How are your hands Rich?

Slow but sure. They say 5-6 more months!

Thanks for asking.

Rich😠

Lower starboard side ratlines finished. :champagne:

Photo to follow as soon as can figure out how to use my new computer? 😜

I'm building the spanker boom and gaff and instructions recommend to drill the yokes while still in the frame but the holes split anyway. This kit has inferior wood.

IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

I had to make mine with better wood. The wood supplied in this kit will never work for parts like this.

Edited by JesseLee

5 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I had to make mine with better wood. The wood supplied in this kit will never work for parts like this.

I'm trying to repair them but if I don't like the repair I'll make them new.

Rich, cut them free first, then apply some thin CA only to the area where you want to drill, let dry, then drill. The thin CA will hold the wood fibers together. I have used this trick in wood carving when I have to carve something like deer antlers on a figure.  

Edited by Jack12477

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Rich, cut them free first, then apply some thin CA only to the area where you want to drill, let dry, then drill. The thin CA will hold the wood fibers together. I have used this trick in wood carving when I have to carve something like deer antlers on a figure.  

Thanks. Nice trick

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, HIPEXEC said:

I'm building the spanker boom and gaff and instructions recommend to drill the yokes while still in the frame but the holes split anyway. This kit has inferior wood.

Happened with my kit parts as well.  I also made my own.  The wood was old and brittle, and even when I got the part out, they would snap with the slightest stress. 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

I'm ready to rig the boom and gaff. I'm glad I have blocks from other kits.

IMG_5154.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This a picture of a park bench in my town that is the good tutorial for beginning plankers to see how to bevel their planks to fit the shape of the hull.

IMG_0365.JPG

I've mounted the boom and gaff. Next I'll rig them. With my burned fingers and hands, my dexterity is poor and it takes me forever to do even the smallest thing. Oh well? :default_wallbash:

IMG_5161.JPG